Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
    yes, they do. I have a gingerbread phone in my hand and it's doing it right now!
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It is ofcourse your money and touchpad, to do with as you please. But, I am sorry to say it is hard to make any sense of your logic. How does what the future hold, prevent you from what you could be enjoying right now?

PS: Glimpse, is truly a great app and it does add immense value to the TouchPad.
    The immediate future. If you read my post I imply in the coming weeks.

The logic is this. The HP touchpad was an unplanned purchase but Im CE/computer enthusiast and couldnt pass up the opportunity to purchase one. With that being said, I don't want to drop $5 on a browser app/ or any app ($2 here and $1 there, and another $5 etc etc) that could be outdated/upstagged in the coming weeks due to accelerated and rapid development as the result of the firesale.

Just watch all the good stuff that will be coming out in the next weeks..
    When I posted about web pages, it's not that it doesn't render. The page just doesn't load. If I open a new card, tap on my original card to read whatever, then go back to the new card, it does not always load the page until I actually focus on the card.

With my phone, I can open new windows in the background and they'll be loaded and ready to go.
    The title of this thread should be changed, it has more do do with browser loading in the background or not as opposed to whether webos does multitasking in general
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    The title of this thread should be changed, it has more do do with browser loading in the background or not as opposed to whether webos does multitasking in general
    It's still multitasking.

Android, iOS, they both multitask. I think the advantage webOS has is that you can control when resources are released. Android does this automatically. If you've opened 5 apps, chances are you won't be returning to that first app. So resources are released.

With webOS, you can just keep your cards open until you get a TMC error or performance degrades to the point that you need to close some cards.

The main thing is that, almost all of the time, we are serial tasking, not multitasking. webOS is handy at serial tasking as the cards provide a preview of what you have going on. Except when they don't render anything because of a bug or to minimize a drain on system resources (which I disagree with). If that were the case, why render any of the cards?
    Quote Originally Posted by philliptt View Post
    I also just like having a visual sense of where my apps are.

I didn't like Android b/c once you navigate away from an app, it disappears. To get back to it you have to click the icon again. iI know logically it doesn't matter, but I really like having a sense of where the app is physically. In webOS the app minimizes in a card and I know "where" it's at.

Again, I know logically and code-wise it doesn't matter, but I really like knowing the app is over 3 cards to the left versus "lost" somewhere until I tap the icon again.
    The cards also add to functionality, as it's a lot quicker to fly between apps, then to go to your app drawer to pull up an app again.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    Maybe they do in Honeycomb, I haven't played with a 3.0 tablet. They don't in gingerbread.
    Yeah they do, it depends on the app, but they do in Gingerbread.

Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    When I posted about web pages, it's not that it doesn't render. The page just doesn't load. If I open a new card, tap on my original card to read whatever, then go back to the new card, it does not always load the page until I actually focus on the card.

With my phone, I can open new windows in the background and they'll be loaded and ready to go.
    It is that it doesn't render. It just takes it WAY too long to render, but you will realize it is rendering when you are on a slow internet connection, it will happen more quickly because the data is loaded, again, just not rendered. You will also notice it if you overclock, as it will happen much more quickly. Again, these wouldn't be true if the page hadn't loaded. It's just that, piratically speaking, there is NO DIFFERENCE between a web site that isn't loaded, and one that isn't rendered (except for slight differences in the amount of time it takes the site to load).

Don't confuse this with me supporting how the OS handles multiple web pages, it's a stupid limitation. I will take a few moments less battery life for my browser to work correctly. Also, in regards to your phone, use Opera mobile (not Opera mini) sometime, then go in to a different app, and reload opera mobile, and you will find it acts similarly. And it's just as annoying in that instance.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    snip
    Thanks for the explanation, I'll have to test that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    The cards also add to functionality, as it's a lot quicker to fly between apps, then to go to your app drawer to pull up an app again.
    Absolutely, and it's spoiled me. I bought a dual-core Motorola Photon on launch day. I gave it over three weeks to learn it and get used to it. In the end, I returned it because I've become so accustomed to rapidly switching between cards as I have other thoughts or wait for things to load.

The best alternative in Android was to hold down the home key and it would display the icons of all recently used apps. That helped, but it was still not as fast or satisfying. I'm gonna do a Frankenpre instead.
    jwdesselle likes this.
    I personally love how I can be playing a game get a phone/skype call and answer then go back to my game. Or even just listening to music while you are reading the web or typing something out is multi-tasking.

If you want windows like multi-tasking webOS is the closest thing to it today. No iPad can't multitask with ease like webOS can same with android. Android is more powerful then the iPad or iPhone, but their method of switching apps is very crappy.

WebOS with its cards is hands down the best multitasking experience. You can try to claim that others are better, but for mobile OS's this is the best(don't even say playbook or I'll smack you so hard you'll wish you were on Pluto, stupid copycats).

-Toaster
    I don't have a TP (yet) but on my Pre2 I open a bunch of apps and web pages, the most used, and leave them open all the time with a Clear pane card showing the background when I'm not doing anything.

Any time I want to go check the app is already there waiting for me instantly available. I leave the music player open, videos, camera, and many others stacked when related (games, email/fb, phone/msgs, news, web, weather, etc).
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    The reason browsers don't render in the background is for performance/battery - no need to render if you aren't viewing it.
    This sounds like an apple-style excuse: "you're using the [browser] wrong" :P Why not give the user the option of slow/non-rendered pages to save battery or instantly loading / background updating pages when I want it?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    It's the fallacy of "true multitasking."

It's even more mind-blowing when you consider that other tablets that don't have "true multitasking," like the iPad, their web pages DO load when you are opening/looking at another page...
    Having multiple browser windows open is not multitasking. You are still only using one app. Last time I tried an iPad, I had to close the browser to run a differnet app, like a game or the claendar, etc. I can open any of those on my TP without closing the browser app.
    Quote Originally Posted by N2HPZ View Post
    Having multiple browser windows open is not multitasking. You are still only using one app. Last time I tried an iPad, I had to close the browser to run a differnet app, like a game or the claendar, etc. I can open any of those on my TP without closing the browser app.
    I dont know about ipad. On Android, the state is saved. Basically, it's like it's minimized, just no visual.

I'm pretty sure that's the case with the latest ios.
    I think we may be getting confused between the appearance of multitasking and how the operating system handles multiple tasks. The GUI is doing some things with cards (tasks) not front and center that makes it appear as if the task is not being given any cycles. What I believe is happening is the GUI is not rendering any graphical changes to the other cards, but the task is otherwise getting cycles. The application is getting notifications when it stops being the active card so the application can decide what actions are appropriate. This is why the games suspend when they are shown in card-view.

Now this doesn't necessarily make the user experience feel like it is multitasking, but it is in fact that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    It's still multitasking.

Android, iOS, they both multitask. I think the advantage webOS has is that you can control when resources are released. Android does this automatically. If you've opened 5 apps, chances are you won't be returning to that first app. So resources are released.

With webOS, you can just keep your cards open until you get a TMC error or performance degrades to the point that you need to close some cards.

The main thing is that, almost all of the time, we are serial tasking, not multitasking. webOS is handy at serial tasking as the cards provide a preview of what you have going on. Except when they don't render anything because of a bug or to minimize a drain on system resources (which I disagree with). If that were the case, why render any of the cards?
    You are right, nobody really does two things at once but we call it multitasking not serial taking. Everybody agrees that a pc does multitasking and I would say that me pre does multitasking pretty much like my pc does it, and sometimes even better (stacks)
    Major difference I see is one cant drag and drop and games will stop playing when not full screen. And I suppose that palm could make them continue to play if they wanted to, just like how they patched videos not to pause.
    differs from iOS and Android, where the app you have maximized is the only thing running and navigating away completely halts the process.
    you are wrong. I don't know Ios, but android certainly loads webpages and runs programs when you go to another app. It is multitasking you just don't see it.
    The biggest thing card mode does is prevent you from having to wait on load times every time you want to go into an app. You're not terminating the process and restarting it as you switch between apps.
    but load times is only a problem for webOS, the other major is like ISO and android don't have wait problems. Webos cards solve a problem webOS creates - lag in app launching.

btw why does webOS lag?
    Maybe my workflow isn't spectacular enough but I just spent a week using my TouchPad exclusively and I really didn't benefit from having "true multitasking" (with the exception of Paper Mache pulling down my Instapaper articles in the background) over the way my iPad multitasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Maybe my workflow isn't spectacular enough but I just spent a week using my TouchPad exclusively and I really didn't benefit from having "true multitasking" (with the exception of Paper Mache pulling down my Instapaper articles in the background) over the way my iPad multitasks.
    Interesting...
    I've been using webos for years and it's invaluable for how I work. It's very similar to PC for me and I always refer back and forth to several things at once. But then I do work on it which requires me to refer to spreadsheet and contact and email at once and combine bits in one email.
    I can't even come close to doing this with the ipad & don't even get me started about how difficult it is to put one movie on an ipad...sheesh

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Gesture area not available on TouchPad is one important reason why multitask on TouchPad differs from the one on the phone (Pre/Pixi/Veer). Gesture area can swiftly back and forth between app which very important to me ie: I type Email / Sms / Messaging which need calculator / converter at same time. At iPad I can activate multi-gesture, but using 4 and more fingers really ridiculously hard to implement it compare to gesture are on WebOS phone. Other thing that benefit of WebOS multitask compared to iOS on iPad is I can compile more then 1 email at same time without need to save on draft first.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast