Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 98
Like Tree36Likes
  1. #21  
    I did. What about your post contradicted the post of mine that you just quoted? I certainly didn't direct my post in response to yours, I was directing it to the author of the post I quoted.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    I did. What about your post contradicted the post of mine that you just quoted? I certainly didn't direct my post in response to yours, I was directing it to the author of the post I quoted.
    My apologies, I meant to reply to Mlkmade.
    I am, therefore I think
  3. #23  
    if you have an app performing a function and can notify you when its done you can see that it works. Preware updating feeds for example. You get a notification when its done even thought it wasn't the active app anymore.

    Also I was support chat with palm and I navigate away while thy respond. No problem.

    And there is no reason to be apoligizing for webos to someone who doesn't appreciate it. It is a multitasking beast unmatched by anything else in the mobile market
    echan228 likes this.
  4. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #24  
    The reason browsers don't render in the background is for performance/battery - no need to render if you aren't viewing it.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    if you have an app performing a function and can notify you when its done you can see that it works. Preware updating feeds for example. You get a notification when its done even thought it wasn't the active app anymore.

    Also I was support chat with palm and I navigate away while thy respond. No problem.

    And there is no reason to be apoligizing for webos to someone who doesn't appreciate it. It is a multitasking beast unmatched by anything else in the mobile market

    Are you implying I don't appreciate webOS because I'm posting on a webOS forum asking questions about its functionality?


    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    What you mean a Dual Core Snapdragon is not the same as an i7?
    Are you trying to be sarcastic and funny? Nice try, as thats a horrible example. The basis of my post is multitasking, something that any CPU from the last 20 years in a PC can do. Its not like you need the power of a quad core i7 to do the multitasking I desire..so please spare me.

    My first taste of a Palm/webos fan boy. Yeessh.. did I strike a nerve? at least now I know what the touchy subjects in this community are.
    Last edited by mlkmade; 08/28/2011 at 01:27 AM.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    Are you implying I don't appreciate webOS because I'm posting on a webOS forum asking questions about its functionality?

    My first taste of a Palm/webos fan boy. Yeessh.. did I strike a nerve? at least now I know what the touchy subjects in this community are.
    I by no means like to encourage fanboyism but now you're just goading. Several others have answered your questions about the extent of webos multitasking but instead you choose to harp on someone who is harping on you. Just ignore it, there are enough distractions and redundancies on these forums nowadays which just detracts from actually solving problems/answering questions.
    I am, therefore I think
    mc_gusto and echan228 like this.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    I guess I should check out glimpse..too bad the promo codes expired in 2 minutes
    You can still buy it. I guarantee you, its the best 5bucks you'll ever spend. Your Touchpad will never be the same again!
    _____________________________________
    Inglorious Apps
    Developer of: Glimpse, Notes HD, Clipboard, Pix, Voices, Casa, Plickr, TweetCam, and Notes
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    I by no means like to encourage fanboyism but now you're just goading. Several others have answered your questions about the extent of webos multitasking but instead you choose to harp on someone who is harping on you. Just ignore it, there are enough distractions and redundancies on these forums nowadays which just detracts from actually solving problems/answering questions.
    Im defending myself and I don't want to be misunderstood, especially when what he said was false. I'm trying to learn about webOS, I think its great and so are these forums. I wasnt expecting panties to be in a tuffle after posting a question.
  9. #29  
    I also just like having a visual sense of where my apps are.

    I didn't like Android b/c once you navigate away from an app, it disappears. To get back to it you have to click the icon again. iI know logically it doesn't matter, but I really like having a sense of where the app is physically. In webOS the app minimizes in a card and I know "where" it's at.

    Again, I know logically and code-wise it doesn't matter, but I really like knowing the app is over 3 cards to the left versus "lost" somewhere until I tap the icon again.
    mlkmade and Shane112358 like this.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    The reason browsers don't render in the background is for performance/battery - no need to render if you aren't viewing it.
    This.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by philliptt View Post
    I also just like having a visual sense of where my apps are.

    I didn't like Android b/c once you navigate away from an app, it disappears. To get back to it you have to click the icon again. iI know logically it doesn't matter, but I really like having a sense of where the app is physically. In webOS the app minimizes in a card and I know "where" it's at.

    Again, I know logically and code-wise it doesn't matter, but I really like knowing the app is over 3 cards to the left versus "lost" somewhere until I tap the icon again.
    It does matter, though. Click an app and it takes time to load, click a card and it's ready to go instantly. That's the biggest strength of webOS in my mind.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    Im defending myself and I don't want to be misunderstood, especially when what he said was false. I'm trying to learn about webOS, I think its great and so are these forums. I wasnt expecting panties to be in a tuffle after posting a question.
    I completely understand. There are some delusional ******* on this site but those exist everywhere, unfortunately. Just try to ignore the annoying few and you should be alright.
    I am, therefore I think
  13. #33  
    I do admit I am a big webos fan and I see where you say you are trying to learn so that's much better than the tone of the original post. I apologize.

    I disagree that webos is overated and other platforms have caught up. Not at this point anyway.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopgoat View Post
    You can still buy it. I guarantee you, its the best 5bucks you'll ever spend. Your Touchpad will never be the same again!
    I know you're probably right...but I kinda made this rule with myself that I wouldn't purchase any apps yet, at least not this early..

    I just think so much is going to be happening in the coming months, faster than we think, in terms of new apps, homebrew or not and in general webos updates/new functionality.

    I think this firesale was a good thing, putting the tablet into so many peoples hands that normally wouldn't have got it. Great things are bound to happen just based on numbers alone.
    Whether its HP or another company, how can you ignore the touchpad now that so many people have it? Whether you're a big developer or small, there is a huge potential market to develop for now..Think about all the new devs it will draw, and to the devs who were already working on something and gave up hope...its now renewed..


    Im excited..And for that reason, it's hard to justify spending a bunch of money on apps right now, especially knowing there is so much more great stuff to come.

    And no disrespect to the current devs who have apps out, I'm sure they're great. I'm just frugal and saving my money until further developments.
    leobloom likes this.
  15. #35  
    I am a big fan and supporter of webOS, but the fact remains that webOS has regressed with each new version as far as multi-tasking is concerned. I don't buy any of the nonsense excuses that the multi-tasking has been curtailed for performance and battery reasons. Heck just don't use the Touchpad and you won't use any battery at all. It's like suggesting that a Ferrari should have a speed governor installed to improve it's gas mileage. Bottom line is that, HP needs to fix, yes FIX, the bug that prevents cards from loading in the background. As for apps, I think they already do load and run in the background. Except for youtube videos that now freeze when in card mode, albeit they are still running as borne out buy the audio.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    I know you're probably right...but I kinda made this rule with myself that I wouldn't purchase any apps yet, at least not this early..

    ........

    Im excited..And for that reason, it's hard to justify spending a bunch of money on apps right now, especially knowing there is so much more great stuff to come.

    And no disrespect to the current devs who have apps out, I'm sure they're great. I'm just frugal and saving my money until further developments.
    It is ofcourse your money and touchpad, to do with as you please. But, I am sorry to say it is hard to make any sense of your logic. How does what the future hold, prevent you from what you could be enjoying right now?

    PS: Glimpse, is truly a great app and it does add immense value to the TouchPad.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    It does matter, though. Click an app and it takes time to load, click a card and it's ready to go instantly. That's the biggest strength of webOS in my mind.
    I've had android phone for 2years now. Returning the browser app brings up the web page fully loaded on to the screen. On webOS, it then has to refresh the image.

    I'm also keen to learn, see examples and get an understanding of how multitasking works on webOS, but at the moment it appears to be the complete opposite...?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    It does matter, though. Click an app and it takes time to load, click a card and it's ready to go instantly. That's the biggest strength of webOS in my mind.
    As far as I understand, Android also multitasks, so the apps are ready to go instantly when you click the icon again. I'm just saying that, even given that, there is something satisfying to me about an app minimizing rather than "disappearing"
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkmade View Post
    am I missing something? I don't really consider this touchpad or webOS for that matter, a multitasking device

    opening a bunch of cards/windows on screen is cool, but other than playing music in the background..its not really multi tasking.

    apps don't load unless its selected and full screeen...web pages don't load while you're in a different card or another webpage...it seems apps/webpages don't do anything in card mode and only are "activated" when in full screen.


    am I understanding this wrong?


    hopefully further updates to the os will improve this?
    You are mistaken and this doesn't need further updates. I have browser loading pages while I read further in Newsroom (a great RSS reader) all the time.

    Some apps - like games - pause themselves while in card mode - because that makes more sense. When you play a game and a call comes in it, it would be very annoying if the game continues (crashing your plane/car, killing your character, whatever).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by philliptt View Post
    As far as I understand, Android also multitasks, so the apps are ready to go instantly when you click the icon again. I'm just saying that, even given that, there is something satisfying to me about an app minimizing rather than "disappearing"
    Maybe they do in Honeycomb, I haven't played with a 3.0 tablet. They don't in gingerbread.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions