Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Thought I would toss up a post to see if anyone has any thoughts before I send my TP back to HP (3 hours on the phone with HP, and they couldn't figure it out). Return box will be here Monday.

Basically the Touchpad will only display the 2 LED lights back and forth from left to right on the center button when plugged in. So far, I have twisted and re-clicked the unit that plugs into the wall 20 times, tried multiple cables plugged both into the wall as well as a computer, differant wall sockets, and even bought the charging cradle. All are giving me the same results. I have tried the power button for 5,10,15, seconds and more, the power button and center button for 15 seconds and more, and the power button center and volume button for 15 seconds and more.

The only thing I can get to display on the screen, is a battery icon with a question mark that flashes for 1 second after holding the power button for 5 seconds while not plugged in, or in the charging cradle. The only reference I can find for that symbol, is in regards to Palm phones that do not have the battery installed properly.

Hp's tech support, while very pleasant, seems to be very much just reading from a script. I know that's how most tech support numbers are anymore. If anyone has any ideas I would be eternally grateful.

Continuously charging for over 24 hours and still the same results

Thanks in advance
    I assume you tried doctoring?
    If not download the latest TouchPad doctor 3.02 from webos-internals.org, turn off the touchpad and press power and volume rocker (in up position) and see if the doctor recognizes the Touchpad.
  3.    #3  
    Is that something that has to be downloaded to the Touchpad, or to the computer, as the Touchpad will not power up to do anything. I am not finding the download for Windows for the Touchpad Doctor. All I am finding is downloads for the various phones.

I think this is it http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ions#Wifi_Only Will have to give it a go when I get home. Here's to hoping, and thanks for your reply. If anyone has any other ideas as well, would be appreciated
    Last edited by majicplicity; 08/27/2011 at 10:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by majicplicity View Post
    Is that something that has to be downloaded to the Touchpad, or to the computer, as the Touchpad will not power up to do anything. I am not finding the download for Windows for the Touchpad Doctor. All I am finding is downloads for the various phones.

I think this is it Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals Will have to give it a go when I get home. Here's to hoping, and thanks for your reply. If anyone has any other ideas as well, would be appreciated
    Yes pick the 3.02 wifi one for the TouchPad, download it to your computer, start it up and pick your language and country and when it asks for the TouchPad, plug the Touchpad into the computer and press "next". If it doesn't recognize the TouchPad, try turning off the TouchPad and then turn it back on by holding the power button and the volume rocker up. You should get a funny symbol (USB symbol). Then see if the Doctor recognizes it.

The Doctor is basically a fresh install of the operating system and fixes any issues with software. If it doesn't work, you may have to send it back to HP.

Good luck.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the advice, and I will definitely give it a go when I get home. Will post back once I attempt it.
    Have you tried a different micro USB cord?
    I had a faulty one with my release day TouchPad that had a loose connection and would not charge. If you bought the touchstone too try the micro USB cord that came with that. It should fit snug and not have an obvious wiggle. HP sent me a new cable as I was able to use my pre cable between the both of them for awhile.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post
    Have you tried a different micro USB cord?
    I had a faulty one with my release day TouchPad that had a loose connection and would not charge. If you bought the touchstone too try the micro USB cord that came with that. It should fit snug and not have an obvious wiggle. HP sent me a new cable as I was able to use my pre cable between the both of them for awhile.
    Yea, tried 3 different USB cords plugged into both the wall and the computer, as well as the charging dock I purchased.
    Darn, it can never be an easy fix. Good luck!
  9.    #9  
    Thanks, I am really hoping this works, as I am not looking forward to a 2-3 week( being optomistic, was told 7-9 business days for the repair plus travel time) turnaround to get it back
    Hi there i bought 2 touchpads one came strait on but had a faulty charger the other one scared me it did not come strait on but after i left it for quite some time with the known good charger it displayed the battery charge logo and then after another rather long wait over an hour it displayed the hp logo and finally booted.
  11.    #11  
    Well, at home now. Doctor will not recognize the device, as the computer doesn't recognize it even being plugged in. Been on a charger basically since Thursday continuously other than the instances of being unplugged trying to diagnose. Makes me think there is a battery issue, whether the battery itself is bad, or there is a connection problem. I still don't understand why manufacturers continue to produce devices with no access to the battery for the consumer. Especially a touchpad device where you will have some people using them heavily and would happily buy additional batteries to use when they can't be near an outlet.

From googling it, the battery repalacemnt on the touchpad is similar to an iPod. I have done it once on an old 60gb video iPod, but it was well out of warranty and figured I had nothing to lose. Not willing to attempt it on a brand new unit and void my warranty
    Well, at home now. Doctor will not recognize the device, as the computer doesn't recognize it even being plugged in. Been on a charger basically since Thursday continuously other than the instances of being unplugged trying to diagnose. Makes me think there is a battery issue, whether the battery itself is bad, or there is a connection problem. I still don't understand why manufacturers continue to produce devices with no access to the battery for the consumer. Especially a touchpad device where you will have some people using them heavily and would happily buy additional batteries to use when they can't be near an outlet.

From googling it, the battery repalacemnt on the touchpad is similar to an iPod. I have done it once on an old 60gb video iPod, but it was well out of warranty and figured I had nothing to lose. Not willing to attempt it on a brand new unit and void my warranty
    take the charger barrel and make sure the various pieces of it are screwed on tight. Also if you can get access to another charger barrel try that one, even a pre charger barrel can work albeit slowly, check the internet amazon or vzw to find one. Or buy the dock and use that barrel instead of the barrel you have.
    if the barrel trick does not work, it may be worth a pm to hardbeatz in the forums
  14.    #14  
    I think I have eliminated it being a charger/cable issue. 2 separate barrels clicked multiple times each, 4 different cables, 5 separate outlets, and the charging dock. All giving me the same result of a battery icon with a question mark flashing for 1 second when the power button is held for 5 seconds while not charging.
    Your issue definitely screams hardware failure that needs repairing / replacing.

I still don't understand why manufacturers continue to produce devices with no access to the battery for the consumer. Especially a touchpad device where you will have some people using them heavily and would happily buy additional batteries to use when they can't be near an outlet.
    Because after a certain time, users are more likely to replace their old device with a new, expensive one than to just get a new battery. Profit++. It also allows for a slimmer device, and people care for that a lot now that Apple has slim devices that have popularized the inability to just swap batteries. The TouchPad is a bit thicker and heavier than the iPad because of its inductive charging capability and people are already ragging on it - now imagine if it was yet another 10g heavier and another 2mm thicker thanks to an exchangeable battery.

I agree with you by the way - i'd rather have an exchangeable battery. But the market doesn't care for that while it DOES care for shaving off millimeters.
    leave it plugged in for a while webOS devices take a long time to charge
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    leave it plugged in for a while webOS devices take a long time to charge
    Has been plugged in since thursday
    oh then idk.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Your issue definitely screams hardware failure that needs repairing / replacing.

Because after a certain time, users are more likely to replace their old device with a new, expensive one than to just get a new battery. Profit++. It also allows for a slimmer device, and people care for that a lot now that Apple has slim devices that have popularized the inability to just swap batteries. The TouchPad is a bit thicker and heavier than the iPad because of its inductive charging capability and people are already ragging on it - now imagine if it was yet another 10g heavier and another 2mm thicker thanks to an exchangeable battery.

I agree with you by the way - i'd rather have an exchangeable battery. But the market doesn't care for that while it DOES care for shaving off millimeters.
    I understand the side of wanting users to upgrade instead of buying a new battery. But at the same time, if a company is forcing me to upgrade, they are gambling on the fact that I will buy another one of their products right after having their product die on me, instead of going with a different manufacturer.

And the size thing does make sense. I guess I am just old school, and while I may not be able to fully service all my tech, I want to be able to do basic stuff such as change a battery lol.
    Had this happen with a brand new Pre 2. Hp eventually replaced it under warranty. I do not know if it works with the Touchpad but, there is a forced recovery mode with the phones. It requires the battery to be removed and that would void your warranty. I could not get into forced recovery mode. The phone would only display the icon with a question mark.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast