Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nhavar
  1.    #1  
    Hello People,

New TouchPad user here. I bought the TP because it was a deal I could not pass, and I am beginning to like it very much. webOS is a very capable OS; I hope it has a long life, that developpers do not abandon it.

However, I am a diehard Android user, and I cannot wait to get a port of Android to my TP. Which brings the question: Do you think Touchstone will still work if webOS is replaced by Android? Does it need a driver to work, or is it simply a "mechanical" thing?

I'd love to get a Touchstone, but I won't waste money on it if it won't work with Android.

Now, before anyone mentions it, I know that it has not happened yet. I won't be able to install Android on my TP tomorrow, but I like to be prepared, and I am an optimist at heart :-).
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The TouchPad should charge with the touchstone no matter what OS is installed. Exhibition mode/etc won't work though
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick answer.

Obviously, Exhibition mode won't work, but I am hoping it will be posible to enable Desktop mode using Tasker or something like that. It will depend on how Android will recognize Touchstone as a power source.

Anyway, it's all very hypothetical until TP can actually run Android, so we'll see.

Thanks again!
    I'm almost (95%) positive that the charging capabilities of the TouchPad are hard coded to the device.

Please note that this is my opinion and has absolutely no basis whatsoever other than my knowledge of electronics.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

5.    #5  
    That's what I believe too, but this is something for the experts to confirm.

Touchstone looks like a very convenient device; I sure hope I can use it.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    yes it will continue to charge and does not need a driver. The proof of this is the fact that it will charge when the battery is dead. (no os loaded, no drivers loaded)
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    yes it will continue to charge and does not need a driver. The proof of this is the fact that it will charge when the battery is dead. (no os loaded, no drivers loaded)
    that's exactly what I thought, but I didn't have a touchstone to test so ...... yeah =) gratsias
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    Great!

I am going to look for Touchstone deals.