Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    My Touchpad was only in exhibition mode for a few hours at a time if I forgot to lock it and an outline of the time on the digital clock seems to be slightly burned into my screen now. I thought this didn't happen to LCD screens? Kinda regretting that Touchstone purchase

    Has this happened to anyone else?
  2. #2  
    Nope, been using exhibition mode every night and during the day now for almost 2 months.
  3. #3  
    I would try a reboot if I were you, and if it's still "burned in" after that, then I'd say you might have a hardware problem. LCDs don't burn in, as you said, but pixels can get stuck.

    I've never heard anyone complain about burn in with Exhibition mode in all the devices that it is being used in.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    LCDs don't burn in, as you said,
    myth

    any display can burn in...its just HOW LONG does it take to burn in. lcd's are typically VERY slow to burn in.
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  5.    #5  
    So yeah, I just restarted and messed around with some other apps for a few minutes and it's gone... whew. Don't think I'm going to be letting that clock stay on anymore though.
  6. #6  
    You honestly have absolutely nothing to worry about. The screen is an LCD scree. Same screen as your laptop, your cell phone, your HDTV, etc. I bet you leave your desktop on with no screensaver all the time. Do you notice certain icons burning into to the screen? Really, just use the clock. It's extremely nice, and it won't burn in. --fact
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    and it won't burn in. --fact
    still wrong

    Yes, Virginia, There is “Burn In” On LCD Flat Panels | HD Guru
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  8. #8  
    Fact, my Sprint Pre is over 2 years old now and has many of those hours on the Touchstone charger either displaying the clock or home screen and still no burn-in. So there are many other things in life to worry about besides burn-in on your TouchPad.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Fact, my Sprint Pre is over 2 years old now and has many of those hours on the Touchstone charger either displaying the clock or home screen and still no burn-in. So there are many other things in life to worry about besides burn-in on your TouchPad.
    yup, i dont worry about mine

    but i also know they could "burn in"
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  10. #10  
    So... it's down to a personal choice. Use the clock, or don't use it. Extending the burn-in debate won't really take this the thread anywhere.

    Glad you got everything worked out OP. Thanks!
  11. #11  
    Actually I would throw a bet towards the 'IPS ghosting' issue that is seen on literally every IPS screen to some extent, basically there is a slight image retention of static screen elements that are bright, it takes a varying amount of time -but usually abound an hour or so- for it to be noticeable (and even then you have to be on a darker uniform colored background to see it... Or really be looking for it


    you can google 'X220 IPS ghosting' or 'iPad IPS ghosting' or simply look at one of the many threads in the Lenovo section of Notebook Review forum (NBR)... And as the TP uses nearly the identical screen as the iPad, I would be shocked if this weren't the same 'ghosting issue'


    As far as I know its a malfunction that happens at the pixel level because of how IPS works, it doesn't damage anything, but it is annoying if you notice it... So just use it happily and try not to let it other you at all, the screen should be 100% fine even after years of use
    Tablet PC: HP 2730p [all the goodies: 2 slice batteries, slim dock, Intel X18-m 160GB, 8GB ram, ect...] | Toshiba Tecra M4 [Crucial M4 64GB SSD, 2GB ram, ect...]
    entertainment tablet: HP touchpad 32GB -sold it, it just doesn't cut the mustard-
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 9 View Post
    Actually I would throw a bet towards the 'IPS ghosting' issue that is seen on literally every IPS screen to some extent, basically there is a slight image retention of static screen elements that are bright, it takes a varying amount of time -but usually abound an hour or so- for it to be noticeable (and even then you have to be on a darker uniform colored background to see it... Or really be looking for it


    you can google 'X220 IPS ghosting' or 'iPad IPS ghosting' or simply look at one of the many threads in the Lenovo section of Notebook Review forum (NBR)... And as the TP uses nearly the identical screen as the iPad, I would be shocked if this weren't the same 'ghosting issue'


    As far as I know its a malfunction that happens at the pixel level because of how IPS works, it doesn't damage anything, but it is annoying if you notice it... So just use it happily and try not to let it other you at all, the screen should be 100% fine even after years of use
    Ahh this makes sense. It was definitely most apparent on the dark grey background of the Launcher.
  13. #13  
    For the Ultra-paranoid you have two options that I've read:

    1) Click the power button when in exhibition to turn off the screen (may still turn on with notifications, disable those if needed)
    2) Grab the Nightstand app from the HP store (free). It allows for a mostly blank screen in exhibition mode (still has the top power bar).

    If you choose option #1, you can still use Nightstand as a backup in case your notifications pop the screen back on after manual shut off. Again, this is a bit extreme but it's possible...
  14. #14  
    I recently noticed one of my Touchpads has developed the infamous circle on the screen. It's located just where the exhibition clock is during charging. I suspect that this is caused by prolonged charging periods on the Touchstone, the clock burns in. It went away after a little bit of use.

    It was there, it just went away after a few seconds. Pay close attention to the center of your screen right after taking off the touchstone (it helps if you have a dark background).
    Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > Pre- > Pixi > Franken Pre2 >
    TouchPad 32gb
  15. PDAJAH's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkeru View Post
    I recently noticed one of my Touchpads has developed the infamous circle on the screen. It's located just where the exhibition clock is during charging. I suspect that this is caused by prolonged charging periods on the Touchstone, the clock burns in. It went away after a little bit of use.

    It was there, it just went away after a few seconds. Pay close attention to the center of your screen right after taking off the touchstone (it helps if you have a dark background).
    Had the same issue - some problem with touchstone and exhibition mode.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    But your link isn't exactly "right". Short version: the OP shouldn't have to worry about burn-in but yes it technically exists. Long version:

    LCDs do actually suffer from what is called Image Persistence, which is their version of "burn in". However, this is rarely a permanent issue and usually goes away over time or with some help.
    Image persistence can usually be reversed by allowing the liquid crystals to return to their relaxed state. In other words, turning off an LCD display for hours or days will relax the crystals and eliminate the image retention.
    Some random resources if you'd like to read more:

    Wiki: Image persistence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Apple's Warning on their LCDs:Avoiding image persistence on Apple LCD displays
    LCD Pixel Fixer for stuck ones: JScreenFix - Fix stuck pixels and image persistence
  17. #17  
    I wonder how many threads I'll have to cut and paste that into. So far I'm up to three
  18. #18  
    def should merge it with this thread
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...reen-burn.html
  19. esqueue's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    #19  
    wow, my screen is definitely ****ed. Hopefully I can find a patch to disable exhibition. It comes on by itself.

Posting Permissions