Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By t0byd0g1
  1.    #1  
    I'm another firesale webOS user, and am loving my TouchPad so far. As a long time iPhone user, I'm still trying to figure out the UI customization options.

One thing I like with iOS is that when I send a bookmark to the homescreen, it lets me 1) name it and 2) size the webpage first so I can effectively make a custom icon with custom name.

I've searched but have not been successful in finding a way to do this with my TouchPad, so am winding up with pretty ugly app icons with pretty clunky names.

Any advice or is this just how it is?

Thanks in advance.
    In the web browser, to the right of the URL bar is an icon that looks like a square with an arrow. Click on that and select "Add to Launcher." A popup will appear, where you can customize the name and exact URL string.

As far as customizing the icon, webOS 3.x was rebuilt from the ground up when HP bought Palm, and that feature was left out. Older versions if webOS, such as the one on my Palm Pre, does allow the icon customization.
    I created my own icons, uploaded them, and sent the url to my email. Then simply copy and paste the link to your browser and when you add to launcher just edit the name and link it to whatever site the icon was meant to be for.
    this is what i ended up with. just wish it worked with advanced browser.
    Very slick. I, too, wish it worked with the Advanced browser. I'd be doing that today if so!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    In the web browser, to the right of the URL bar is an icon that looks like a square with an arrow. Click on that and select "Add to Launcher." A popup will appear, where you can customize the name and exact URL string.

As far as customizing the icon, webOS 3.x was rebuilt from the ground up when HP bought Palm, and that feature was left out. Older versions if webOS, such as the one on my Palm Pre, does allow the icon customization.

Thanks. I didn't realize the pop up made both of those fields customizable. This will help a lot.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre2009 View Post
    I created my own icons, uploaded them, and sent the url to my email. Then simply copy and paste the link to your browser and when you add to launcher just edit the name and link it to whatever site the icon was meant to be for.

Great tip. Thank you. I tried this for a couple ones and what I'm finding is that the TP seems to be cropping the JPEGs I'm using for icons. Is there a standard pixel size you're using so that it uses the image "as is" rather than modifying?
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Nice. I will try that.
    HP Touchpad 32GB , Treo 650, Treo 600
    webOS 3.0.4
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    What is the icon size?
    HP Touchpad 32GB , Treo 650, Treo 600
    webOS 3.0.4
    Yes, unfortunately, webOS "squishes" the screenshots it uses for web icons, which means that any source icon that you attempt to use would have to be stretched to an equal ratio. I attempted to find the dimensions, to mixed success, and then I discovered a much more elegant solution on these forums:

Using the Internalz Pro app found in the Preware libraries, enable "Master mode" in the preferences.

Navigate to var/luna/data/browser/icons. This is where webOS stores all browser icons.

At this point, you may continue to work out of that directory, but I find it easier simply to copy it to media/internal and pull it onto my desktop via USB.

Now all that's left is to find the icon you wish to change, and swap it out with a .PNG of your choosing, moving it back to the original location in var, if you have copied it out.

Icons that begin with "icon32" are 32x32 pixels. "icon64" are 64x64. To be honest, I haven't taken the time to determine which sizes are used where, so I just swap out both.

Note: unfortunately, while you may also temporarily change in-browser bookmarks in this fashion, webOS will periodically refresh them, undoing your hard work. However, this is a highly effective way to create custom launcher icons for web apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieLenny View Post
    Great tip. Thank you. I tried this for a couple ones and what I'm finding is that the TP seems to be cropping the JPEGs I'm using for icons. Is there a standard pixel size you're using so that it uses the image "as is" rather than modifying?
    after messing it with it for a while it turned out that 90x120 gave me the best results. it still squishes the icon, so you actually have to stretch your image and hope it works out. for example, this is what i had for the espn fantasy football icon

How do you add new categories to the laucher?
    as far as i know you can't yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigum1969 View Post
    How do you add new categories to the laucher?
    Its being discussed here with mixed success:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...cher-tabs.html
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash Machine View Post
    Yes, unfortunately, webOS "squishes" the screenshots it uses for web icons, which means that any source icon that you attempt to use would have to be stretched to an equal ratio. I attempted to find the dimensions, to mixed success, and then I discovered a much more elegant solution on these forums:

Using the Internalz Pro app found in the Preware libraries, enable "Master mode" in the preferences.

Navigate to var/luna/data/browser/icons. This is where webOS stores all browser icons.

At this point, you may continue to work out of that directory, but I find it easier simply to copy it to media/internal and pull it onto my desktop via USB.

Now all that's left is to find the icon you wish to change, and swap it out with a .PNG of your choosing, moving it back to the original location in var, if you have copied it out.

Icons that begin with "icon32" are 32x32 pixels. "icon64" are 64x64. To be honest, I haven't taken the time to determine which sizes are used where, so I just swap out both.

Note: unfortunately, while you may also temporarily change in-browser bookmarks in this fashion, webOS will periodically refresh them, undoing your hard work. However, this is a highly effective way to create custom launcher icons for web apps.
    Looks like a good tip. I started down this path, and it looks like the folder still stores icons from deleted links. I have tried a few times "zooming" webpages before I added to the launcher (thinking I could make it do app icons like an iPad). Anyway, with so many that look the same, it's hard to tell which one is for the current link and which ones are deleted.

Looks like it might be some trial and error.
    Here are some icons that I've created so far: (some look good, some look okay, but definitely better than before)

TP Bookmark Icons

MSNBC
    Fox News
    ESPN
    Gmail
    Time Warner Cable
    Regal Cinemas
    TMZ
    Facebook
    Yahoo
    Yahoo Fantasy Football
    Google Maps
    Slickdeals
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by t0byd0g1; 09/07/2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added screenshot
    jnmfox likes this.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Here are a couple more icons edited to work on the TP.

TP Bookmark Icons

PreCentral
    Google Reader
    Instapaper
    Grantland
    Gospel Library
    Grantland
    Simple Note
    Orb
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    there is a way to make these bookmarks work with advanced browser. It involves editing something in the bookmark's file. There is a thread on here somewhere that details exactly what to do. Unfortunately I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to find that thread again so I can fix my amazon bookmark. I'm about ready to throw my touchpad against a wall in frustration.

if anyone knows how to edit these bookmarks to work with advanced browser or can find the thread with the information I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit - Found it! It was an article, which is why I couldn't find it again here. Anyway, if you follow the steps in this article you can make all your launcher bookmarks work with advanced browser.

http://www.precentral.net/convert-we...owser-homebrew
    Last edited by DreamScar; 09/10/2011 at 11:03 AM.