webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > how can I do a Factory Restore on the HP touchpad?
how can I do a Factory Restore on the HP touchpad?

Old 08/27/2011, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

okay so i want to completely wipe out everything and start fresh again because when i restart the touchpad it say "F15c... now booting..." and it has 2 pictures of actual F15s (planes).
erving1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: JDaniel Ospina
Old 08/27/2011, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

open preware/Open Available packages/Kernel/Recovery/Hit the palm Kernal and install.

Do a Full Reboot

Then goto settings/Device info/Reset options/ and just reset everything.
Gyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: tobeaman
Old 08/27/2011, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

what's the difference between a "Secure Full Erase" and a "Full Erase"?
erving1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's just a testing kernel custom boot lol. Is it actually affecting your Touchpad at all?

Just uninstall the kernel, don't full reset it.
Jake_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just install the palm default kernel or uberkrnel if you don't want the custom bootup text.
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

OK, so I just did this (Install Kernel from preware--regular Kernel, not UberKernel--after which the TouchPad restarted. Then did the "full erase", after which the TouchPad restarted, but when it came back on, there's just a blank, blue screen with a top bar. It sat like this for over 10 minutes. On the left of the top bar, it says "Setup", and on the left of the top bar there's a wifi icon (gray, of course, due to no connection being set yet), a full-battery icon, and the (wrong) time. I have since performed a restart (holding power button and center button for 15 seconds), but got same result after restart. Any idea what in the world is going on?

[[ Incidentally, the reason I believe I need to do a reset is that (1) my Applications screen opens to a blank, white screen--no applications are seen, (2) my System Updates screen does the same--blank, white screen--plus, on the left side of the top bar, it says "Preferences", not "System Updates", (3) my calendar icon does not show a date (no number there--just blank), and (4) my calendar won't open--I touch the icon, it "illuminates" for about 3 seconds, then just goes back to normal, with nothing opening. The bad thing is I can not pinpoint exactly when this started happening. ]]
tobeaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2011, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

OK... so I wasn't putting it in recovery mode (mainly because I didn't know how). Once I did that, I plugged the TP into my laptop, then downloaded and ran WebOSDoctor 3.0.2. It made it all the way through, rebooted (took a few minutes to do that), then started walking me through setting up the TP again. Right now it's "Restoring Data". It's been "stuck" at a little over 25% through the blue progress bar for about 10 minutes, so we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed here. (Geez... this is kind of stressful... not sure why... LOL!)

[[ For noobs like me, either turn off or reboot the TouchPad, and then (while it's off or when it just begins boot up) hold the power button and volume-up button at the same time... keep holding until a giant usb icon appears on the screen. At that point you can plug in to your computer, download the doctor file, and run the doctor. ]]
Old 08/28/2011, 12:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK... so after all that, it hung up during the restore process. Since I really didn't *need* all the data from my pre... was just more concerned about it downloading my apps... i just rebooted and this time chose to "skip" the restore process. (Since it did not complete the restore process, restarting (pressing Power button + Home button together for about 15 seconds) automatically sent it back through the beginning set up screens.) One thing I forgot though... your accounts are part of the "user data". So I still had to manually re-add my email/calendar/contacts accounts, but that's no big deal since I have all my contacts info in my gmail account, and adding accounts is pretty quick and painless. Anyways... moving on to homebrew goodness next.
Old 08/28/2011, 01:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'd like to know your final result. Cause I never installed any kernels or preware and my touchpad had a few symptoms as yours: Restore stopping at 25% and I lost all access to the app catalog (it had a yellow triangle over it and only opens to a blank white screen) rendering my TP useless since I couldnt load or install ANYTHING even the standard apps that are supposed to come with it like PDF Reader, Kindle, etc. This started after updating the App Catalog yesterday.

I've done a full erase 4 times tonight and everytime the app catalog and most apps are all showing yellow triangle.

PS: I see we're bth in DC area weathering the storm and fiddling with TPs since theres nothing better to do during the storm.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
-=-=-
Praise is what I do...

Last edited by techprincesse; 08/28/2011 at 03:43 AM.
techprincesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techprincesse View Post
I'd like to know your final result. Cause I never installed any kernels or preware and my touchpad had a few symptoms as yours: Restore stopping at 25% and I lost all access to the app catalog (it had a yellow triangle over it and only opens to a blank white screen) rendering my TP useless since I couldnt load or install ANYTHING even the standard apps that are supposed to come with it like PDF Reader, Kindle, etc. This started after updating the App Catalog yesterday.

I've done a full erase 4 times tonight and everytime the app catalog and most apps are all showing yellow triangle.

PS: I see we're bth in DC area weathering the storm and fiddling with TPs since theres nothing better to do during the storm.
Hey techprincesse,

So yeah... weathered the storm AND solved my touchpad problems--things could be worse.

Everything seems to have worked out for me just fine at this point. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, by skipping the "Restore" option, I ended up having to re-create all my email/contacts/calendar accounts, and I also had to manually load pictures and music. All that was a minor inconvenience--but hey, it worked, so I'm OK with it.

Now I have installed the following patches (at least these, probably a few more that I just can't remember right now):

- uberkernel (if you want to install this, you MUST install it before installing the other patches, as installing a new kernel will wipe out all patches--it will wipe out your patches only, not your homebrew apps)
- govnah (necessary for adjusting uberkernel settings)
- internalz pro
- unthrottle download
- eom overlord monitor (reduces the amount of background logging)
- muffle system logging (also reduces amount of background logging)
- remove dropped packet logging (yet another one that reduces amount of background logging)
- add launcher tabs

I think that's about it. Also, I went to the keypad and the the ##LOGS# > Change Logging Levels > Set logging to minimal (and yet another way to reduce extraneous file logging... all this file logging is helpful to support personnel if you have a bad problem, but impacts performance).

Anyway... all that, and so far so good. Then again, it's only been 24 hours. Hope this helps.

tobeaman
Old 08/28/2011, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Does installing uberkernel really wipe your patches? They still seem to be installed (I installed patches and then got brave and overclocked)
jimmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 02:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
Does installing uberkernel really wipe your patches? They still seem to be installed (I installed patches and then got brave and overclocked)
Actually, after looking at it a little more closely, it seems that it uninstalled certain patches, but not others. I had installed all the pathes (except UberKernel) listed in Post #10 of this thread. Then I installed UberKernel. After installing UberKernel, the only patch that I still had left was "add launcher tabs", and the unthrottle patch and all my logging patches were gone (it even reversed the "set logging to minimal" settings that I did via the dial pad). So maybe it only wipes performance-related patches and settings, but leaves cosmetic patches alone(?).

Any Internals guys/gals out there want to comment on this?

PS: It also did not affect Govnah or Internalz Pro, but they are really considered applications, not patches.

I feel like I've come full circle:
HP Ipaq > Palm Pilot > Palm Pre (Sprint) > HPalm Pre 2 (VZW) and HP TouchPad
Old 10/05/2011, 12:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

My touchpad seems like it's running slower and with poorer performance. I have run the WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3 and still the same results. I have also run a complete restore. Do I just have a 'Bad' unit? Does anybody have a suggestion?
MarDen1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0