Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rrratina
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  1.    #1  
    I have my Pre connected to my TouchPad via bluetooth, but are you able to use the Pre as a "hotspot" (not sure that is the correct term) to connect your TP to the internet? I'm referring to when away from WiFi, of course. Was this something the Pre 3 would have been able to do or can it also be done with my original Pre?
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
  2.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Thanks.....I was hoping it wasn't a preware/homebrew deal....I'm one of those too chicken to mess with all those internals. I know....I know....easy to do. But I just have horrible luck whenever I get "adventurous". I'll do something to just tweak something so it is a little better and then I end up ing it up big time. Oh well....maybe something "non homebrew' will come along. Thanks again for the quick response and info though.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    You can use your hotspot and connect to the web with your touchpad - I do it. What exactly is the difference between a hotspot and tethering?
    If you are on Sprint you can no longer use the Mobile Hotspot app (Sprint blocks it now) but if you are on Verizon, it still works with the Pre +. People using Pres on Sprint now use FreeTether.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    If you are on Sprint you can no longer use the Mobile Hotspot app (Sprint blocks it now) but if you are on Verizon, it still works with the Pre +. People using Pres on Sprint now use FreeTether.
    Mobile Hotspot still works on sprint. There is a notice that comes up but if you reopen the app it works. At least it did for me. However, I noticed I was tethering so much I just got a WiFi Hotspot for 35.00 a month. I did not want Sprint to warm me on overage data on the phone and I was heating up the phone to much.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Mobile Hotspot still works on sprint. There is a notice that comes up but if you reopen the app it works. At least it did for me. However, I noticed I was tethering so much I just got a WiFi Hotspot for 35.00 a month. I did not want Sprint to warm me on overage data on the phone and I was heating up the phone to much.
    Where do you get the mobile hotspot app? I have Sprint.

I'm using a palm pre plus through verizon.
    11B1P likes this.
    Yeah it would work, but in my case it was really slow, I am much happier with FreeTether, for me, my Pre runs cooler and has less battery drain (battery actually charges when on TouchStone charger while using FreeTether).
    Finally Pre likes this.
    I use mobile hotspot with my Palm Pre+ on Verizon, it is offered free until I replace the phone I believe. The Pre2 can use it for a fee I think, not sure what that is.

My phone gets pretty hot when on the touchstone and running hotspot. I sometimes have to put it over a vent with cool air blowing over it. Last summer, on a trip out west, I had a vent mount holding my touchstone, so my Pre would be cooled off whenever I was running hi temp apps (that's what I call mobile hotspot, Verizon Navigator, Google Maps, etc.). My computer and my kids' iPod Touches would run just fine off the wireless signal from My Pre+ mobile hotspot though. I don't have the TouchPad yet...hoping for round 2 firesale opportunity.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    Where do you get the mobile hotspot app? I have Sprint.
    Preware. Run the preware app and once loaded just type hotspot. It should show you the program Mobile Hotspot.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    Mobile Hotspot still works on sprint. There is a notice that comes up but if you reopen the app it works. At least it did for me.
    I have Verizon and it did that the first time I used my MHS. Just ok it and continue on using it.
    Ok, I've searched all over trying to figure this out. I have a Pre- and a TP.

The TP can connect to the Pre- via Bluetooth, but I cannot get the TP to get internet accesss. Both devices show they recognize one another. I have Free Tether on both. On the Pre, it opens and loads up, shows BT is on and both the DHCP Server button and the IP Forwarding button is on. However on the TP, in FT, although BT is on and it shows connected to the Pre, there is a spinning circle on the BT line. When I try to go online, I get a "No Internet Connection" message.

I can't figure out what I'm missing. Any help would be great. I've rooted both devices so I'm fairly proficient in that.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthesilent View Post
    Ok, I've searched all over trying to figure this out. I have a Pre- and a TP.

The TP can connect to the Pre- via Bluetooth, but I cannot get the TP to get internet accesss. Both devices show they recognize one another. I have Free Tether on both. On the Pre, it opens and loads up, shows BT is on and both the DHCP Server button and the IP Forwarding button is on. However on the TP, in FT, although BT is on and it shows connected to the Pre, there is a spinning circle on the BT line. When I try to go online, I get a "No Internet Connection" message.

I can't figure out what I'm missing. Any help would be great. I've rooted both devices so I'm fairly proficient in that.

Thanks!
    You should use freeTether's WiFi interface instead of Bluetooth. I do not believe that BT Network profile is supported on the HP TouchPad.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Using FreeTether's wifi connection, neither device sees the other. It seems like when I turn on FT's wifi it turns off either device's wifi. When I turn each wifi, still nothing.

Anyone got a step by step guide how to do this?
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I use mobile hotspot with my Palm Pre+ on Verizon, it is offered free until I replace the phone I believe. The Pre2 can use it for a fee I think, not sure what that is.
    I do the same thing with my +. I called Verizon and asked specifically about upgrading to the Pre 2 and if I would lose the free MHS. He said as long as I stay with a Palm (HP) phone, I wouldn't lose the free MHS. May be worth calling back and getting another reps answer. Now trying to find a Pre 2 that doesn't cost an arm and leg...
    Last edited by wbdillworth; 09/04/2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: auto correct wrong
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthesilent View Post
    Using FreeTether's wifi connection, neither device sees the other. It seems like when I turn on FT's wifi it turns off either device's wifi. When I turn each wifi, still nothing.

Anyone got a step by step guide how to do this?
    You should read this thread http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2921355 and the Wiki Application:FreeTether - WebOS Internals.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47