Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64
Like Tree58Likes
  1.    #1  
    First post, probably will see more of me. I am a lucky one who happened to get a Touchpad and finally have had a chance to play with it last night and this morning and wanted to write about my initial impressions with the touchpad and webOS.

    First off, touchpad is still stock as I have not updated it nor overclocked it yet. Even without that being done my initial reaction is really favorable. This thing rocks, i've never been an apple fan but do currently use an iphone4 and ipad2 which I just bought a few weeks ago. I've always liked apple design and form factor for their computers but could never justify the cost when comparing specs to PCs. As far as the touchpad, so far I have found the webOS very intuitive and a much more agreeable UI than ios on the ipad2 which as many have complained is a glorified iphone.

    1. Multitasking, is an awesome feature which I don't think I'll be able to live without. Its great to be able to save a click and swipe or two to bounce back and forth between apps.

    2. Browser so far seems superior than Safari. The transition during swipes is not quite as smooth as the iPad2 but from what I have read that can improve drastically with a few tweaks.

    3. Screen resolution is as good as the ipad2.

    4. Touch responsiveness is just as good as the ipad2. I like the little indicator that pops up where I just touched in case I'm off a bit.

    5. Fonts are nice, clear, and modern.

    6. Apps are not nearly as limited as led to believe. There seems to be a good amount of webOS apps. One thing I've learned with owning both the iphone4 and ipad2 is that the whole thing about quantity of apps for a tablet is somewhat mute. what is the point of having an app for a company like Kayak, or Bank of america, or Amazon, just to name a few when with the increased size of the tablet it is just as easy to go to the website. With the small form factor of the phone i can see the benefit of an app but with a tablet I do not think apps are as critical. Their are plenty of exceptions to this of course, like flipboard, productivity apps, but I hope you can figure out my point.

    7. Size and feel, ipad wins here, yes its a little lighter, but overall ipad feels better in the hands. The weight is not a big deal as not too often or ever am i holding a tablet with my arms extended.

    So, these are just a few opinions and reasons why I'm seriously considering selling my iPad2. I mainly use my ipad while sitting on the couch quickly checking email, surfing the internet, etc. So why do i need to do that with a $500 tablet when the touchpad does it just as well if not better at more than half the cost. (I bought mine for $99 plus $35 for the keyboard at a Best Buy store)

    Personally I don't think any tablet is worth $500. I think if this tablet would have been priced $299 for a 16gb from the beginning HP would have been able to give apple a run for their money. I understand that price point is below their cost, but in order for someone to grab a foothold in the market that is the price point that would be needed and they can recoup losses from the app store.
  2. #2  
    I really like your thoughts Especially the last part.
    I do not believe that any tablet is worth more than a netbook too (Or at least more than 400$).

    Welcome to precentral!! Hope you enjoy your new toy.
  3. ap3604's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatso View Post
    I think if this tablet would have been priced $299 for a 16gb from the beginning HP would have been able to give apple a run for their money. I understand that price point is below their cost, but in order for someone to grab a foothold in the market that is the price point that would be needed and they can recoup losses from the app store.
    How Apple loses money from the App Store - Fortune Tech

    "Steve Jobs said when he opened the App Store that it was designed to merely break even -- and he probably meant it. The apps, which can increase the utility of a mobile device exponentially, are there to bring in users. The profit for Apple -- as usual -- is in the high-margin hardware."



    If even Apple can't make a profit from it's app store, then hp DEFINITELY isn't going to make money either from their app catalog.

    So they lose money on the hardware side (selling touchpad for $299 when it takes $310 to build) AND they don't make money on the software side either...

    Makes it pretty easy to understand why HP said "no more" and got out of the webos hardware business.
    Last edited by ap3604; 08/27/2011 at 04:45 PM.
  4. #4  
    I'm surprised by this one:
    2. Browser so far seems superior than Safari. The transition during swipes is not quite as smooth as the iPad2 but from what I have read that can improve drastically with a few tweaks.
    WebKit on the Touchpad is still a really subpar and slow implementation compared to that of Safari on iOS. On Sunspider, a Javascript benchmark, the iPad2 gets something like 2000ms and the Touchpad is 1.5-2.0x slower than that, in my experience. Not only that, the implementation of a lot of features is still pretty limited.
  5. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #5  
    You have gracefully said all my thoughts here.

    I agree its really close I've estimated 80% as good as the Ipad 2

    I tweaked both mine and I have to tell you with the Update, patches ( I did not overclock) the pad flies....my wife thought it was 30% faster after all the tweaks

    I think at least 20% but it is very noticeable and both of us are very very happy with it.

    Both of us thought it was worth 250 or so not 99 and 149
  6. #6  
    The Apple App Store may have been designed to break even, but it's certainly making a profit now. HP just wasn't thinking in the long term.

    They were trying to break into a market with a dominant player and there's really only two ways to do it. Either have overwhelmingly better hardware at the same price, or have similar or slighty better hardware at a lower price. HP did neither.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
  7. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm surprised by this one:


    WebKit on the Touchpad is still a really subpar and slow implementation compared to that of Safari on iOS. On Sunspider, a Javascript benchmark, the iPad2 gets something like 2000ms and the Touchpad is 1.5-2.0x slower than that, in my experience. Not only that, the implementation of a lot of features is still pretty limited.
    So you working on a better browser? we need one

    Can't FireFox be ported? What about Chrome?
  8. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    The Apple App Store may have been designed to break even, but it's certainly making a profit now. HP just wasn't thinking in the long term.

    They were trying to break into a market with a dominant player and there's really only two ways to do it. Either have overwhelmingly better hardware at the same price, or have similar or slighty better hardware at a lower price. HP did neither.
    its because the CEO doesn't like hardware, he's a software guy......

    LOL he thinks that WebOS will be the next windows..................

    Hate to tell him but Linux has not been widely used on PC's

    but it has been used in some ways on Tablets and in OS's ( WebOs) and other things like ATM's even Android but Linux is FREE so .............

    How is HP going to go into the OS business? I think he's Nuts personally
  9. #9  
    It's such a shame that HP's heading towards becoming an enterprise services company. It was founded with hardware and it's got a long tradition of hardware. Hewlett and Packard are probably rolling in their graves (had to check on wikipedia to make sure they're dead)
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    hippo likes this.
  10. #10  
    lol yes they are long gone unfortunately
  11.    #11  
    Article is interesting but its dated, 2009. I can't imagine that if the app store continued to be non profitable that it would still be in existence. It is well known and stated in the article that apple get 30% off all apps sold and they recent claim that 15 billion with a b apps have been downloaded from the app store. Understanding that most of those are free and costs associated with operating the app store it is impossible that the app store is not profitable.

    Doing a quick google search and focusing the results for the past 2 months came up with some further interesting reads:

    1. What Is Apple

    I've never heard of this blogger or website so I take the information with a grain of salt. Most interesting thing in the article is that the credit card companies actually make more than apple off of the app store. I can believe it being a small business owner and paying anywhere from 2%-5% per transaction in CC fees.

    2. From a better known blog

    The economics of Apple’s App Store | TechRepublic

    So it isn't true that the app store isn't profitable. Yes it is a drop in a bucket in their over all profits but without a robust app store would the iphone have been as successful? Doubtful. As you quoted steve, its in the hardware that they make their huge margins. HP and other PC manuf. margins are slim, real slim. I'm old enough to remember when any half way decent PC set you back $1,200. Partially because of windows and DOS, PC manufacturers have competed to the point that you can get a pretty damn good desktop with a 20" LCD or bigger for $300 shipped! Apple never had to face that competition. If you compare specs between any apple and comparable mac you pay almost twice as much for equivalent specs. Granted you are getting a beautiful machine, that operates flawlessly. But for me the difference in cost is not worth the cosmetics. I'm this much closer to selling my iPad2!
  12.    #12  
    I've got a total of 6 hours on the thing, but so far the browser seems at a minimum to be the equivalent of Safari with the added benefit of not being limited to what sites I can visit. Don't make me say the "F" word. You may be right I'm not running tests on either. I'll pick up the ipad2 again tonight and see if I notice any difference. It may just be my newly discovered enthusiasm for webOS as a noob to it.
    RoverNole likes this.
  13. #13  
    Keep in mind many sites load slower on the TP because it's loading the full site and/or Flash. In my testing the ipad2 seemed faster because many times it would load a tablet optimized version of the site while the TP loaded the full site. When they loaded the same thing load times were similar. Many sites I could begin scrolling on the TP and reading before I could on my ipad2.
    echan228 likes this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm surprised by this one:


    WebKit on the Touchpad is still a really subpar and slow implementation compared to that of Safari on iOS. On Sunspider, a Javascript benchmark, the iPad2 gets something like 2000ms and the Touchpad is 1.5-2.0x slower than that, in my experience. Not only that, the implementation of a lot of features is still pretty limited.
    Me too. I've found the browser is definitely a weak point on the TouchPad. Besides the lack of some pretty basic features (lack of proxy support, can't change identifier, poor bookmark management, no tabs etc.) some pages load 2-4x slower than on my iPad 2. Even after overlocking, turning off flash and installing other patches/tweaks performance is really lagging. I'm comparing the performance to an iPad 2 running iOS 5b6, but still. The best example for this is Engadget which is consistently 3x slower than on the iPad 2. Even just reloading/refreshing it is slow. Just did a quick timing and on the iPad it took 7.3 seconds to reload the main page. On the TouchPad it took 21.4 seconds.

    I would have though being "WebOS" they would really focus on making the "Web" browser a high priority. Hopefully this is something they address in the next update!
  15. Dionte's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    #15  
    At first I thought I would enjoy watching videos more on the touchpad until I started seeing ads that I am not used to watching on the iPad. The YouTube app for instance there's an ad before every video on the touchpad.
  16. #16  
    Welcome to precentral I havent gotten mine yet, but used it and agree with you mostly the only things I will miss from the browser is the bookmarks bar and saved passwords/logins. I think they perform similarly. I'll also miss some apps (Netflix mostly) but sold my iPad already so am going all in on webOS for tablets for the time being it's a great OS.
    _____________________________________________
    Please excuse my grammar,i may be using a virtual keyboard or I just am in a rush.

    >i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    _____________________________________________
    Eclipse Software
    Head Developer
    Apps for Windows Phone 7 / webOS (coming soon)
    RoverNole likes this.
  17. JeffPom's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    Me too. I've found the browser is definitely a weak point on the TouchPad. Besides the lack of some pretty basic features (lack of proxy support, can't change identifier, poor bookmark management, no tabs etc.) some pages load 2-4x slower than on my iPad 2. Even after overlocking, turning off flash and installing other patches/tweaks performance is really lagging. I'm comparing the performance to an iPad 2 running iOS 5b6, but still. The best example for this is Engadget which is consistently 3x slower than on the iPad 2. Even just reloading/refreshing it is slow. Just did a quick timing and on the iPad it took 7.3 seconds to reload the main page. On the TouchPad it took 21.4 seconds.

    I would have though being "WebOS" they would really focus on making the "Web" browser a high priority. Hopefully this is something they address in the next update!
    But to the average (read uninformed, non-tech) consumer - the browser is a better experience on the touchpad than its Android competitors. I have done a bit of browsing in the last few months on the Xoom - and hate it. It loads many pages in the mobile version (even after I click on "view full page" or adjusted it to view as a desktop.) And I think it's smoother and better looking than what I've experienced on the Xoom.

    Yes the iPad is better... but it doesn't have flash!
  18. #18  
    How much for your iPad then?
  19. #19  
    I surprised Dad with a TouchPad for his birthday. He already has an iPad 2, but said he was thinking of selling it. He played with my TouchPad prior to getting his and said he really liked it. Flash in the browser was a big point for him. He is still looking at the right sell/trade for his iPad 2. :-)
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffPom View Post
    But to the average (read uninformed, non-tech) consumer - the browser is a better experience on the touchpad than its Android competitors. I have done a bit of browsing in the last few months on the Xoom - and hate it. It loads many pages in the mobile version (even after I click on "view full page" or adjusted it to view as a desktop.) And I think it's smoother and better looking than what I've experienced on the Xoom.

    Yes the iPad is better... but it doesn't have flash!
    It does do a pretty good job of rendering the pages. It is just slower than I thought it would be and should be with the processor it has. So much so I keep thinking something is "wrong" with my TouchPad since people keep saying how good the browser is. I guess it is what you are used to!

    As far as Flash, I'm in the squarely in the "Flash is overrated" court. Two of the three sites I'd like to use use Flash on frankly do not render too well on the Touchpad. One site for some reason about 1/2 the time keeps putting a Flash object right over the login screen! Even for the sites that I'd like to use that require Flash, having it on slows down other sites as it now loads a lot more ads than having it off.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions