Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
    huh. first thing I did on my TP is turn Flash off. I don't have it on my desktop, on my phone, on my iPad or on my TP. I don't miss it at all.
    opticalserenity likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Forgot to mention that most sites have Flash animated adds on them. The iPad cannot display them (which is actually a plus considering how annoying they are) which is another reason why it seems faster.
    The webOS browser has an option to not 'autoload flash', but I don't know if it does anything. I tried turning it on then back off and I didn't notice the flash content not autoloading...
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffPom View Post
    But to the average (read uninformed, non-tech) consumer - the browser is a better experience on the touchpad than its Android competitors. I have done a bit of browsing in the last few months on the Xoom - and hate it. It loads many pages in the mobile version (even after I click on "view full page" or adjusted it to view as a desktop.)
    Weird. On my Transformer, I use the stock browser and have it set to display all pages as desktop versions, and I've yet to have it load a mobile version of a website. And the thumb menu is a killer feature.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    To the OP, I'll trade my Touchpad straight up for your iPad. Heck, I'll even throw in some cash!
    Bagbug likes this.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashmonee View Post
    To the OP, I'll trade my Touchpad straight up for your iPad. Heck, I'll even throw in some cash!
    well going rate on a used ipad 16gb is right around $430. Mine is 4 weeks old and in mint condition. I will also include the killer spook* case. So thats what I'm looking for. I would take $330 and a TP or some other combination trade + cash I'm all ears as the ipad is going on craigslist or ebay in the next day or two.
    Global Posts
    2,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    The Touchpad's browsers never defaults to a mobile website. Never.
    Not true for me. If you go to DailySteals.com, it loads the desktop version, but then switches and loads the mobile version. This is the only website I've found that does it, so far.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatso View Post
    well going rate on a used ipad 16gb is right around $430. Mine is 4 weeks old and in mint condition. I will also include the killer spook* case. So thats what I'm looking for. I would take $330 and a TP or some other combination trade + cash I'm all ears as the ipad is going on craigslist or ebay in the next day or two.
    Not to negotiate in thread, just figured you liked the Touchpad so much that you would be willing to trade it for the iPad straight up. See, if the situation were reversed I would gladly trade an iPad for TP and a little cash for the joy of getting two of what I liked instead of one I liked and one that os just ok.
    Not to negotiate in thread, just figured you liked the Touchpad so much that you would be willing to trade it for the iPad straight up. See, if the situation were reversed I would gladly trade an iPad for TP and a little cash for the joy of getting two of what I liked instead of one I liked and one that os just ok.
    ??
    he probably figures he can get the cash for iPad on ebay at market rate and then buy more than 1 touchpad since they are having a sale on touchpads now, in case you didn't notice.
    Ever know website contain cctv video for traffic report? Flowplayer?

To iPad fan: I have iPad 1 & iPod Touch 4. About denial of flash importance, If you don't like flash because you don't need it then iPad is best for you. But for people that have lots of times open website that contain flash that important to be displayed, then iPad won't satisfied you. As I mention above. About flowplayer playing cctv video on website for traffic report. You won't have any clue how to see and run it, because iPad won't display it at all. On Android browser based on froyo (haven't test on gingerbread) , it only can show the pic of the video but can't play it. On WebOS browser (tested on tiny Veer) it can show desktop version & can play flowplayer flawlessly. Other website that contain graphic statistic using flash, iPad won't show at all. So If I want to read the statistic, I need to use my tiny Veer again instead my iPad.

I haven't buy TouchPad due out of luck on firesale. I still hunting till I can grab one. But talking about browser, I'm a bit surprise that loading time slower 2x or faster 2x is really matter much. I don't care how much time browser need to load full site, I do only care full desktop view complete with everything. Including flash, advertising or everything like on PC. It is the one deserved as " Best Mobile browser". Not just fast but can't show this or that. That's all! Benchmark or such stuffs just a theory & statistic. Not much impact on real use, except the loading time that ridiculously too slow.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Maybe he likes "cashmonee" just as much as you do and therefore doesn't fall for your tricks? He paid a lot of money for that iPad he only liked about as much as his TouchPad, so why shouldn't he want to recoup some of it?
    I have both the TP and the ipad2. Both stock browsers are crap and suck equally. Regardless of how you feel about Flash (I personally can not stand Flash) there are very few websites that don't convert to iOS friendly versions.

If HP could get a web browser like Atomic ported over to it, I would use the TP a lot more. Being able to use a real browser with touch and swipe gestures, easy to use pull down bookmarks, customizability, ability to change your version of browser from mobile Safari, to ipad, to IE to desktop OSX, etc... Just makes the iPad so much better for web surfing. And yes, I bought the advanced browser, but it still sucks in comparison.

Splashtop remote access... Another app seriously needed on the TP!

Kalemsofts media player was something I needed and payed 7 bucks for, but seriously $7 for a media player? Apple and HP made it so you had to buy another media player in order to watch files not inherently friendly to their OS. Hate that. However, AVPlayerHD is better than Kalemsofts media player. Both use file directories to load content, but I can access, manipulate and delete content with ease on the iPads AVPlayerHD app.

There are more items I could bring up, like how long it takes to get the app catalog to load, how I have to hit icons or links more than once in a few cases to get them to load, how some webpages do not render correctly, and so forth. I just wish I could customize the TP more. Active wallpapers, different lockscreens, more status bar customization, active icons, be able to stack icons or create folders for icons, be able to add more than 5 icons on the bottom dock, etc.

These are minor glitches that could be fixed on the TP and really bring it forward and on par with the iPad, but will never happen now. Unfortunate. If there was more app and OS development, I could see myself using the TP exclusively, but now I have it as a tablet for use downstairs on it's very cool Touchstone! I like that a lot. Almost as much as the FB and photo integration!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Maybe he likes "cashmonee" just as much as you do and therefore doesn't fall for your tricks? He paid a lot of money for that iPad he only liked about as much as his TouchPad, so why shouldn't he want to recoup some of it?
    I agree, I was mostly kidding. However, true value to me would be TP plus ~$150, since the TP is going for close to $230 on the 'Bay, the only place they are available.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    They were trying to break into a market with a dominant player and there's really only two ways to do it. Either have overwhelmingly better hardware at the same price, or have similar or slighty better hardware at a lower price. HP did neither.
    Well said. I would just add they have to have the guts to stand there and slug it out for a while.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    I just wish I could customize the TP more.
    Let's not forget how "open" and customizable webOS is to begin with. Just give it some time. After the firesale madness dies down and we get the true number of how many touchpads are out there, plus if another device maker does get the opportunity to push out webOS stuff, then we'll have continued development... at least the homebrew will continue, even on this dead device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    I have both the TP and the ipad2. Both stock browsers are crap and suck equally. Regardless of how you feel about Flash (I personally can not stand Flash) there are very few websites that don't convert to iOS friendly versions.

If HP could get a web browser like Atomic ported over to it, I would use the TP a lot more. Being able to use a real browser with touch and swipe gestures, easy to use pull down bookmarks, customizability, ability to change your version of browser from mobile Safari, to , to IE to desktop OSX, etc... Just makes the iPad so much better for web surfing. And yes, I bought the advanced browser, but it still sucks in comparison.

Splashtop remote access... Another app seriously needed on the TP!

Kalemsofts media player was something I needed and payed 7 bucks for, but seriously $7 for a media player? Apple and HP made it so you had to buy another media player in order to watch files not inherently friendly to their OS. Hate that. However, AVPlayerHD is better than Kalemsofts media player. Both use file directories to load content, but I can access, manipulate and delete content with ease on the iPads AVPlayerHD app.

There are more items I could bring up, like how long it takes to get the app catalog to load, how I have to hit icons or links more than once in a few cases to get them to load, how some webpages do not render correctly, and so forth. I just wish I could customize the TP more. Active wallpapers, different lockscreens, more status bar customization, active icons, be able to stack icons or create folders for icons, be able to add more than 5 icons on the bottom dock, etc.

These are minor glitches that could be fixed on the TP and really bring it forward and on par with the iPad, but will never happen now. Unfortunate. If there was more app and OS development, I could see myself using the TP exclusively, but now I have it as a tablet for use downstairs on it's very cool Touchstone! I like that a lot. Almost as much as the FB and photo integration!
    Unfortunately it is hard to bring developer support over when there were not many users of the platform. Now that there are hopefully the apps will follow. I think we will be at a stalemate with the browser. Flash is big for me and a lot of other folks around me because of the websites we view. The lack of Flash was the #1 killer of the iPad for me, the UI was #2. I use the Advanced Web Browser on the Touchpad and like it alot. It has its problems also. I would like to see more browsers for the Touchpad (like on Android) so everyone has a choice. I would like to see live wallpapers like on Android (without the crashing!) and the apps (not the UI or web browser or web site replacements) from iOS. WebOS 1.x and 2.x has the ability to create custom menu tabs. This better than folders in my opinion. Hopefully this functionality will be added back to webOS 3.x soon. I also agree with adding more icons to the dock. There has only been one update to webOS 3.x and there was some regression from previous versions (webOS 1.x and 2.x) so give it a little time to catch up.
    having used both, I strongly disagree with most of your statements. The availability of apps does matter, and even if that didn't (I think most people here are lying to themselves by saying it doesn't or are not used to having a good selection of apps) fact is right now updates and the app market are so messed up, this is only proving to the world why the WebOS project was a failure on HP's part.

the browser is horrendous compared to safari. On Safari, typing into a form isn't slow and painful (YES, I've done the tweeks and overclocking) and I abhor Flash. ti hate it, and it isn't anywhere on any of my devices. I do not miss it one bit. In face, the whole point of a huge app store is to have native apps that are quick (iOS apps are compiled Objective-C not slow Java, yuk). Native apps can do much more than a browser based webapp.

also, its a myth that iOS can't multitask. Anyone who has used an iPad correctly knows jt can, and does well. In fact if you enable gestures, it does it superbly.

beyond that, having used HP BUTLER service I can say I am horrified and feel sad for the community here and what you guys have to put up with. If any of my Apple products hav e any issues, I get same day service at an Apple store, and no hassles. No, I didn't enjoy the hours I spent already with Butler support in India.

I'm not saying the TouchPad isn't nice, it is. Its nicer than the crappy Android tablets out there. Unfortunately the details do matter. The TouchPad is like a nice Nissan or Toyota. Unfortunately, they priced it to compete with an M series BMW, the iPad. In my observance, it can't.
    cashmonee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Let's not forget how "open" and customizable webOS is to begin with. Just give it some time. After the firesale madness dies down and we get the true number of how many touchpads are out there, plus if another device maker does get the opportunity to push out webOS stuff, then we'll have continued development... at least the homebrew will continue, even on this dead device.
    God I hope you are right. I like the TP a lot! Just wish I could have gotten a 64gig TP. 32gigs is barely enough for my needs.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    I agree with all points except the browser. Of all the tablets I own the Touchpad browser is the worst. Most buggy and slowest (except for the HP Slate and internet explorer). That's not to say it's not good, but it's not up there with any.

My favorite is the google browser. Tabbed browsing = awesome.
    Safari is best for single page browsing by far.
    Playbook is fast but 7 inch screen ruins the experience.
    Touchpad is good but the others are better.
    I too like the original guy loves this thing every bit as much as my ipad, maybe more (for the moment). This browser definitely is not the slowest and buggiest, as far as bugs go I've seen none, and slow, not in the least. I currently own iPad1 and did own Playbook and Asus Transformer and now 3 Touchpads and this thing blows away browsing on the Transformer, Honeycomb had crappy browsers especially the typing lag killed it. The Playbook browser was pretty nice except the bookmarks sucked and it would randomly exit, so far I've had no crashes with the TP browser and I've been using it alot. The Playbook I thought has the best form factor @ 7", perfect size imo, I would have loved that thing had it had native email and much better apps, the apps were horrid on it. Safari on iPad plan sux, but I love Mercury Web Browser on ipad it's the best tablet browser I've ever used except of course no flash on the ipad is a bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by opticalserenity View Post
    having used both, I strongly disagree with most of your statements. The availability of apps does matter, and even if that didn't (I think most people here are lying to themselves by saying it doesn't or are not used to having a good selection of apps) fact is right now updates and the app market are so messed up, this is only proving to the world why the WebOS project was a failure on HP's part.

the browser is horrendous compared to safari. On Safari, typing into a form isn't slow and painful (YES, I've done the tweeks and overclocking) and I abhor Flash. ti hate it, and it isn't anywhere on any of my devices. I do not miss it one bit. In face, the whole point of a huge app store is to have native apps that are quick (iOS apps are compiled Objective-C not slow Java, yuk). Native apps can do much more than a browser based webapp.

also, its a myth that iOS can't multitask. Anyone who has used an correctly knows jt can, and does well. In fact if you enable gestures, it does it superbly.

beyond that, having used HP BUTLER service I can say I am horrified and feel sad for the community here and what you guys have to put up with. If any of my Apple products hav e any issues, I get same day service at an Apple store, and no hassles. No, I didn't enjoy the hours I spent already with Butler support in India.

I'm not saying the TouchPad isn't nice, it is. Its nicer than the crappy Android tablets out there. Unfortunately the details do matter. The TouchPad is like a nice Nissan or Toyota. Unfortunately, they priced it to compete with an M series BMW, the iPad. In my observance, it can't.
    So you have to use the iPad correctly for it to multi-task? Same as holding the iPhone 4 correctly to make a call? Sorry had to go there! I've used the so called multi-tasking on iOS and I gave up. It is a sorry attempt at multi-tasking designed more around saving battery life than useability. You have to hack it to make it worth while and then that doesn't even add much.

Mobile Safari is horrendous in the fact that it does not support common used plugins, requires website administrators to redesign their websites so users can get some use out of it, or needs a ton of apps that are simply just website replacements. Apple could have improved it over time to bring it more inline with desktop Safari, Chrome, or Firefox but they decided to leave it alone to run up their app count. Is a Bank of America webpage really an app? Seriously?

The selection of apps do matter. No one here will argue with you over that. The quality of the apps matters just as much as the quantity. There are some very crappy apps on both Android and iOS, more crappier than webOS apps. Apps that are used to make up for excuses in browser design (iOS) and UI design (Android) do not count in my book!

Each platform has its weaknesses. I could go on and on about some of the weaknesses in webOS that you pointed out and I do in some of the threads. However, I and many other PreCentral users take offense to folks who don't acknowledge the weaknesses in their own platform while blasting the weaknesses in webOS.
    I'm not saying there is any one perfect platform, but a lot of what you're saying is biased.

the Bank of America app used to be a web app it isn't any longer. They actually have a good app on both iphone and iPad. However, that doesn't excuse them making a bad app. Thats on them, not apple. Also mind you that I have always been able to use the Boca website on both my iOS devices without an app.

that takes me to my next point. As for Safari needing plugins, what plugins? I hope you're referring to Flash. Years ago HTML5, Ajax, and other technologies luckily replaced that. Aside from Flash which I don't miss, actually I'm glad to be away from it, what plugin?

don't forget that WebKit is an Apple creation. But all the Android / WebOS anti Apple types don't went to acknowledge that. Why don't we talk about why the browser on the TP is so darn slow? I'm at 1.5ghz, and with all the tweeks, its still slow. Its painful to type this... Not to mention font rendering is flat out ugly. How did palm mess that up?

BTW, As of right now, there are zero apps for WebOS as me and most everyone I talk to can't get into the app market at all. Butler service told me "We have no idea when it will be back up"
    Last edited by opticalserenity; 08/28/2011 at 09:30 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast