Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by kangurill View Post
    How much for your iPad then?
    I'm thinking $430 with a nice portfolio case. It is in new condition with box and all accessories. 4 weeks old. $500 with 2 year square trade warranty, not sure if its transferable or not though.
    advanced browser is EVERYTHING
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    advanced browser is EVERYTHING
    Which advantages does advanced browser have that make it worth it?

Edit: Looked it up myself and found the following 4 advantages
    - Start page with bookmarks. (set your favorite sites here)
    - Remembering and auto filling login names and passwords (you can save these within the browser)
    - Searching within webpages (search for words within the website text)
    - Tabs (requires webOS 3.0.2)

I guess I'll wait for more reviews on it to see if its worth the download
    Last edited by ap3604; 08/27/2011 at 08:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    It does do a pretty good job of rendering the pages. It is just slower than I thought it would be and should be with the processor it has. So much so I keep thinking something is "wrong" with my TouchPad since people keep saying how good the browser is. I guess it is what you are used to!

As far as Flash, I'm in the squarely in the "Flash is overrated" court. Two of the three sites I'd like to use use Flash on frankly do not render too well on the Touchpad. One site for some reason about 1/2 the time keeps putting a Flash object right over the login screen! Even for the sites that I'd like to use that require Flash, having it on slows down other sites as it now loads a lot more ads than having it off.
    Oh I know it's slow. But the tweaks on here - helped. And I like browsing on this better than on my iPhone. Yeah - I love my iPhone - but regular browsing not so hot on it. Too Small! And we only have one laptop... Plus this is better for browsing while sitting on the couch.

I'm kinda with you on the Flash - but better than none at all!
    Quote Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
    As far as Flash, I'm in the squarely in the "Flash is overrated" court. Two of the three sites I'd like to use use Flash on frankly do not render too well on the Touchpad. One site for some reason about 1/2 the time keeps putting a Flash object right over the login screen! Even for the sites that I'd like to use that require Flash, having it on slows down other sites as it now loads a lot more ads than having it off.
    I have yet to see a Flash ad. Ad block patches FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    for me its the TABS! and the option to open a link in a new tab or window.

So not only can you keep card together you can keep follow on links drilled down in one tab.
    I just wish there was an option to open the new tab but not make it the immediate focus...
    thoughts?
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionte View Post
    At first I thought I would enjoy watching videos more on the touchpad until I started seeing ads that I am not used to watching on the iPad. The YouTube app for instance there's an ad before every video on the touchpad.
    What youtube app? When i click the app all it does is open youtube in the browser. Am i missing something?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    What youtube app? When i click the app all it does is open youtube in the browser. Am i missing something?

nope... the TP does you tube so well it doesn't need a specific app... just enlarge teh screen and BAM... works perfectly...
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    I agree with all points except the browser. Of all the tablets I own the Touchpad browser is the worst. Most buggy and slowest (except for the HP Slate and internet explorer). That's not to say it's not good, but it's not up there with any.

My favorite is the google browser. Tabbed browsing = awesome.
    Safari is best for single page browsing by far.
    Playbook is fast but 7 inch screen ruins the experience.
    Touchpad is good but the others are better.
    Astronomer likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    I agree with all points except the browser. Of all the tablets I own the Touchpad browser is the worst. Most buggy and slowest (except for the HP Slate and internet explorer). That's not to say it's not good, but it's not up there with any.

My favorite is the google browser. Tabbed browsing = awesome.
    Safari is best for single page browsing by far.
    Playbook is fast but 7 inch screen ruins the experience.
    Touchpad is good but the others are better.
    what are your thoughts on Advanced Browser if you downloaded it?
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    I didn't dl it. I was talking about the stock browsers on each. I'll check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm surprised by this one:

WebKit on the Touchpad is still a really subpar and slow implementation compared to that of Safari on iOS. On Sunspider, a Javascript benchmark, the iPad2 gets something like 2000ms and the Touchpad is 1.5-2.0x slower than that, in my experience. Not only that, the implementation of a lot of features is still pretty limited.
    I've checked with govnah and sunspider is only utilising core2, core 1 is idle during the bench.
    I'm tickled at how good my new touchpad is. It is a shame they did not have enough mind share to make the product successful at a profit for the company, because it really is a great product now that I have had the chance to experience it. I like it much more than my iPad already despite the app short comings. Luckily the ones I like the most are on WebOS already

Really hope HP finds a licensee for WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    I didn't dl it. I was talking about the stock browsers on each. I'll check it out.
    then ur right.... stock browser... sucks
    Gotta stay in the "NO"

Edit: Looked it up myself and found the following 4 advantages
    - Start page with bookmarks. (set your favorite sites here)
    - Remembering and auto filling login names and passwords (you can save these within the browser)
    - Searching within webpages (search for words within the website text)
    - Tabs (requires webOS 3.0.2)

I guess I'll wait for more reviews on it to see if its worth the download
    this will def be my first app tabs and auto fill? I was worried I was going to miss auto login filling and I wanted tabs
    I too love the Touchpad. I think that WebOS is what makes it such a good tablet. It's amazing how good an experience can be if the OS is customised to work on a tablet. There are a few things missing on the Touchpad that would have made it truly great (expandable SD storage, physical rotation lock switch, oleophobic screen), but out of the box it appeared to me to be a much better experience than with an iPad.

One thing that I REALLY like was the ease of which it was to get PreWare on there. Type in a simple dev mode code, and then just install the app on there from my PC. This is a great thing that adds quite a bit of value to the Touchpad. I jailbreak all my iOS devices (iPhone ***** here, but that's as far down the Apple road I go), and just the sheer ease of getting "unofficial" software on the Touchpad is a win for me.

I'll have to try out this advanced browser, there are a few things I didn't like about the browser (one being that it seems to save states of webpages when trying to login; it does not allow me to log into certain web forums. Also when browsing certain web forums it appears that it just loads a temp file of the web page when I click down the list of sub forums from the top of the screen to exit the thread).

So far, with the recommended tweaks and an overclock to 1.5GHz the Touchpad is every bit as smooth an experience as I have had on my iPhone4 and friend's iPad2.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post

My bad I was talking about YouTube in the browser, it just reminded me of an app by that icon.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    It was founded with hardware and it's got a long tradition of hardware. Hewlett and Packard are probably rolling in their graves
    Nah..The real HP (Agilent) is still alive and well.

United States Home | Agilent
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    I've had an iPad 1 for a year. I really prefer the touchpad to the iPad. I agree on every point. The app issue the the most overblown ever. If you have flash, you don't need an app for every website. I prefer the browser because it is faster.
    I've seen the sunspider bench, and tp browser definitely has some weakness with some JavaScript that causes it to hang on certain websites. Engadget is one though I thought it was iPad optimized. But sunspider overstates the differences, because the to is not 2x slower on most websites. On most websites, the Tp is faster than he iPad 1 but a touch slower than the ipad2. But it is not a huge diff except on a few sites.
    email is far superior on the touchpad.
    I've used Safari on iOS, multiple browsers on Android, and the Touchpad's browser. The Touchpad's browser is by far the best. First off Safari does not have Flash. I know that most iOS users want to pretend that they don't need or like Flash. That's called denial. Who really wants a web browser that can't view the whole internet? I don't like silverlight but I know it is needed to view Netflix and I would love to have it on the Touchpad just for that. It is because of the inability to view Flash that Safari seems faster. It's not really loading the whole web page or it defaults to a mobile web page enhanced for Safari. The Touchpad's browsers never defaults to a mobile website. Never. So you get the real web site on the Touchpad, whether you want it or not. Honestly who would not want the real website (unless of course they are in denial)?

Android is a whole other ball game. There are multiple browsers for Android and like the Touchpad, Android supports Flash. However, unlike the Touchpad, Flash on Android is very unstable. Every browser that I have tried on Android crashes multiple times a day when using Flash. It is very annoying. Also some of the browsers ignore the setting to not display a mobile website which is also very annoying. The Touchpad's default browser has only crashed on me once in 7 weeks and I used it heavily.

My question to iPad users is why do you want to view the mobile internet without Flash on a large screen? There are plenty of excuses for this on a cellphone (data usage, smaller screen) but there is no excuse for it on a tablet. Also, if the browser was so complete, why do developers need to make apps to view something that would normally appear on the website?

Edit: Forgot to mention that most sites have Flash animated adds on them. The iPad cannot display them (which is actually a plus considering how annoying they are) which is another reason why it seems faster.
    Last edited by k4ever; 08/27/2011 at 10:24 PM.
    RoverNole likes this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast