Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDewWorm View Post
    What is the advantage of tethering to your phone rather than using a mobile WiFi hotspot like Novatel Wireless 3G or 4G MiFi? Can you still use your iPhone for calls while tethered? I decided to go with the MiFi for two reasons - 1st is that Sprint's network does not allow voice while surfing the i'net, and 2nd is that I want to allow others with me to also use my hotspot. I know that the cell phone internal hotspots allow up to 5 to connect if you pay the WiFi extra fee, but I made the choice to use the MiFi for my situation where I still want to have my phone available without interruption. My MiFi is great for using the 'net while traveling with my autistic grandson.
    the advantage is we don't need to pay another monthly fee. I already have unlimited internet included in my plan. Using a rooted android phone with WiFi tether solves this issue.
    my phone has tethering built in, touchpad connects to HTC Portable hotspot, but touchpad then says no internet connection.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    do we know if anyone is even working on this issue right now? creating a patch or something? this thing is the only reason i can't bring my touchpad with me when i go out.
    Quote Originally Posted by gotwillk View Post
    do we know if anyone is even working on this issue right now? creating a patch or something? this thing is the only reason i can't bring my touchpad with me when i go out.
    i really wish a nice dev could fix this for us and release a patch
    Touchpad, webOS 3.0.2, f15c eagle 1.728GHz
    iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 jailbroken
    Dis likes this.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    most hotspots are ADHOC if I am not mistaken.. MY EVO also has built in hotspot (if you pay extra for the service). ROOTING and using WIFI TETHER with the AP setup solves the issue and doesnt cost extra..
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I think these evil companies just want you to buy the 3G version of their Tablet so they make more cash.
    Careful though when you tether. Carriers can detect if you are tethering illegally.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20csummer View Post
    Did you delete all the remembered WIFI profiles on your touchpad?
    Yes. But in any case it does not matter. It connects to the phone, pulls IP and stalls after that. Even if the old profiles existed they are not used.
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    I assume if yo are NOT running a rooted ANDROID phone then there is no way to do this.. I have a rooted android phone and the latest WIFI ROUTER BETA (3.1 I think) works 100% perfect with the TP..
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    most hotspots are ADHOC if I am not mistaken.. MY EVO also has built in hotspot (if you pay extra for the service). ROOTING and using WIFI TETHER with the AP setup solves the issue and doesnt cost extra..
    I have a verizon droid 2, which I rooted for the sole purpose of tethering for TP. Its not working. I am using WiFi tether, the beta version suggested above, and have it set to AP. I also have the most recent android version (I believe that's 2.3.3),

Quote Originally Posted by Aston Martin View Post
    my phone has tethering built in, touchpad connects to HTC Portable hotspot, but touchpad then says no internet connection.
    interesting, I used a friends phone, htc on sprint and connected. No problem

all if Jr commenting on android, may I suggest you include phone, carrier, android version, if rooted, app using to connect. Will help us solve the mystery

droid 2 VZ 2.3.3 rooted wiftehter
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    i'm on OG Droid 1 and it doesn't work.

rooted, verizon, on 2.2.1 and also tried 2.3.7, using Open Garden Wifi, tried wireless tether on market and the beta.

nothing has worked.
    tired open garden and barnacle. neither worked, which, basedon this thread is because they create ad hoc networks. wifi tether per website can create an "infrastructure" network (all new terms to me) which is what Touchpad needs. still, no good.

a few peole have it working in this giant thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html. however, not clear what phone they are using.

very fustrating
    da Gimp

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    tired open garden and barnacle. neither worked, which, basedon this thread is because they create ad hoc networks. wifi tether per website can create an "infrastructure" network (all new terms to me) which is what Touchpad needs. still, no good.

a few peole have it working in this giant thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html. however, not clear what phone they are using.

very fustrating
    doesn't seem like data is working though. that's the only thing that matters to me, not text or calls.
    I've had no problem using the wifi hotspot from a Veer or an HTC EVO.
    some android phones can only do adhoc WiFi. That's why wireless tether beta doesn't work for some people. My phone htc Eris can only do adhoc WiFi so I have no option unless there is a fix on the tp side to accept adhoc connection.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    is there any way to get internet tethering via JOIKU SPOT with the HP TOUCHPAD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyah View Post
    is there any way to get internet tethering via JOIKU SPOT with the HP TOUCHPAD?
    search this thread for "JOIKU SPOT". there are a number of comments talking about this.
    da Gimp

I have managed to get basic web browsing working.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3151589
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyDAVE View Post
    I have managed to get basic web browsing working.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post3151589
    the information was already posted a couple weeks ago on post #67 in this thread
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3126420
    Touchpad, webOS 3.0.2, f15c eagle 1.728GHz
    iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 jailbroken
    Quote Originally Posted by santinog View Post
    some android phones can only do adhoc WiFi. That's why wireless tether beta doesn't work for some people. My phone htc Eris can only do adhoc WiFi so I have no option unless there is a fix on the tp side to accept adhoc connection.
    Have you tried loading CM7 on your Eris and using the built-in hotspot functionality of Android?
    im no noob, but this sure looks to be beyond my skill set. i've yet to use webos doctor (havn't screwed up that bad)
    da Gimp