Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    TetherMe on iphone 4 4.3.3 also works for me - Touchpad sees it and get online.
  2. Dis
    20csummer, I had channel set to auto , I'll try on 1. As for DNS I have JoikuSpot 3 premium and don't see any DNS settings. Are you running JoikuSpot 3.1 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by berger34 View Post
    mywi and pdanet work
    Care to elaborate how you got PDANet working - i have only b een ablet to get the tp work with tetherme
    No. I'm using WMWifiRouter on a legacy Windows Mobile phone.
    just to find out the cause of failure, try connect from your computer first and make sure the hotspot is working.

I've also noticed that the stock browser on touchpad will keep popping up "No internet" message even though it can load the webpage. While advanced browser has no problems at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20csummer View Post
    Did you set password for your mobile hotspot? If yes, this is not going to work.
    i tried with both password and no password. i even tried with old n900 joikuspot v1.2.2 in paswordless mode. it shows no connections. and when eth0 is refreshed through dhclient eth0 the device does not seem to notice ad-hoc hotspot...

-------
    I just managed to connect to JoikuSpot. I was entering the hotspot name incorrectly, stupid joiku adds joikuspot to the connection name and I did not notice that... No internet though.gonna play with settings.

Using n900 joikuspot 1.2.2
    ------
    No dice with joikuspot ... it connects but no internet,. Settings are default. DNS is default. Channel 1.
    ------

I have tried Mobile Hotspot on n900 again and was able to connect to phone but no internet..

Computer was also connected and I was able to share the connection (on it right now )
    Touchpad pulls the IP but still does not load pages...
    Last edited by gill_za; 09/05/2011 at 03:05 PM.
    This is a real let down by HP.

I, too, use N8 and Joikuspot. Just can't get over the fact that they were selling internet device but forgot (intentionally?) to put this basic feature in.
    ok, just as clarification, the WiFi mode should be passwordless, not empty password in WEP mode.

the connection to the phone with iwconfig is the first step. Getting an assigned ip by dhcpclient is more important.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman View Post
    Thank you very much for posting this. You motivated me to finally upgrade my ANCIENT iPhone 4 w/ iOS 4.0 jailbreak! I'm on 4.3.3 now and TetherMe works great over wifi with my touchpad. Thanks again for the help.

I'm going to a conference next week and would much rather tether to my iPhone than pay for hotel internet. Seriously, the more expensive the hotel, the more likely they'll charge for wifi. Ridiculous.
    NP, I was really bummed that I could not do it unless I went to 4.3.5 until I found that workaround :-)
    Another voice here saying that MyWi on iphone4 works for tethering. In fact I used my touchpad all throughout the time that my power was out due to Hurricane Irene.
    ok, just as clarification, the WiFi mode should be passwordless, not empty password in WEP mode.

the connection to the phone with iwconfig is the first step. Getting an assigned ip by dhcpclient is more important.
    Yeah its passwordless as in wep is NOT on. IP is assigned and I can use the tether connection on laptop but not on touchpad..
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I am using WIFI TETHER on my EVO 4G .... its the latest beta version that creates an AP. works great!! I can even set an AP Password to protect my network....
    twosted likes this.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    I am using WIFI TETHER on my EVO 4G .... its the latest beta version that creates an AP. works great!! I can even set an AP Password to protect my network....
    Great news. Was waiting for an EVO user to post success. Now I have to go and root my phone again. Took it off for a while cause I was having connection issues. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Yeah its passwordless as in wep is NOT on. IP is assigned and I can use the tether connection on laptop but not on touchpad..
    Did you delete all the remembered WIFI profiles on your touchpad?

you said that you are using a windows mobile phone to tether to. I currently have the Sprint TouchPro 2 phone which only supports adhoc mode tethering. I tried following ur steps but i cant get it to work. Is there any step that you didnt document?

what i did so far
    1) i used WMWifiRouter to setup a connection called WMwifi I didnt put any password on it
    2) i connected my laptop to it to see if it was working
    3) disconcected my laptop
    4) typed iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc essid WMwifi
    5) it accepted it without any notification just went to the next line so i assumed it was ok. next line i typed dhclient eth0
    6) then it goes thru multiple lines finally ending up with "No DHCPOFFERS recieved" "No working leases in persistent database - sleeping"
    Then it goes back to the command line. Am i missing some step? Any hep would be extremely apperciated.
    docnas -

Yes, there are a couple of things need to be fixed.

First, in WMWifiRouter, click wifi setup, when you reach the step to select the password protection,choose none(testing), instead of WEP.

Second, in your Touchpad's WIFI setting, delete all the profiles your device remember. This is crucial to prevent your Touchpad revert to managed mode.

At your step 5, it will show nothing and return to command line no matter it's working or not, so it's too early to tell before running dhcpclient. If it is working, it'll give you an IP address.

Try above method again. If not working, there are two things to try:
    1. Change your SSID name to lowercase, on my phone, I set it to "wmmobile" (w/o quote)
    2. Delete WMWifiRouter and reinstall it. It seems there's some problem with the IP allocator of WMWifiRouter after a long time use.

There are some apps doesn't work well with this command line initiated WIFI:
    1. Stock browser keeps saying "no internet", even though it can load the webpage. Use Advanced Browser instead.
    2. Email client will simply not connect to the server. (no workaround yet)
    3. PreWare will not update feeds (this can be fixed by contacting Webos Internals people).

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 20csummer; 09/06/2011 at 04:24 PM.
    I'm using an iPhone 3gs, ios 4.2 and am able to get assigned an ip with both pdanet and mywi using the xserver/iwconfig work around, but am unable to connect the web, just get no internet connection available.

Btw, UK o2 user.
    has there been any updates on this. This is the only thing left that would allow me to swap from my iPad1
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I assume if yo are NOT running a rooted ANDROID phone then there is no way to do this.. I have a rooted android phone and the latest WIFI ROUTER BETA (3.1 I think) works 100% perfect with the TP..
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I hope there will be a patch to support both.
    Dis likes this.
    What is the advantage of tethering to your phone rather than using a mobile WiFi hotspot like Novatel Wireless 3G or 4G MiFi? Can you still use your iPhone for calls while tethered? I decided to go with the MiFi for two reasons - 1st is that Sprint's network does not allow voice while surfing the i'net, and 2nd is that I want to allow others with me to also use my hotspot. I know that the cell phone internal hotspots allow up to 5 to connect if you pay the WiFi extra fee, but I made the choice to use the MiFi for my situation where I still want to have my phone available without interruption. My MiFi is great for using the 'net while traveling with my autistic grandson, and my TouchPad has no problem connecting to the MiFi wifi.
    Last edited by TheDewWorm; 09/11/2011 at 11:05 AM.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast