Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    is there a fix for this? I have the EVO 4G and am using a program called Barnicle WIFI TETHER.. it does ADHOC ... I need to get this working or this will be the 3rd reason the HP TOUCHPAD FAILED and also another shot in the foot me me to be able to use this like I want....

so far.. NO PROXY SUPPORT, NO ADHOC and NO PRINTING except certain HP PRINTERS...

I sure hope we can fix ADHOC
    -----------ANDROID SOLUTION-----------

Quote Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
    I had some problems with this as well. My T-Mobile LG G2x with CyanogenMOD 7 worked right off the bat. My dad has a Verizon Samsung Droid Charge and it wouldn't work until I installed GummyCHARGED ROM and a beta of Wifi Tether (3.1 beta 6) from this link:

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

I had to change some stuff specifically for Samsung (Device Profile - Samsung Fascinate, Setup Method - Softap for Samsung) to get it to work.

Maybe that'll help some Android phone users with a Touchpad to get Wifi Hotspot/Tethering to work.

THIS! I was unable to get other versions in the Android Market to work due to the way they set up Ad Hoc connections. This beta version of Wireless Tether for Root Users worked on a Samsung Epic 4G. Follow the link, click the link for the new beta version, scan the QR tag, download the beta version of WIFI Tether, and WIN.

Last edited by puffdaddy411; 09/03/2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Add Phone Type
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by puffdaddy411 View Post
    -----------ANDROID SOLUTION-----------

THIS! I was unable to get other versions in the Android Market to work due to the way they set up Ad Hoc connections. This beta version of Wireless Tether for Root Users worked on a Samsung Epic 4G. Follow the link, click the link for the new beta version, scan the QR tag, download the beta version of WIFI Tether, and WIN.

Ive tried everything.. I can get BARNICLE WIFI to work and connect to my laptop but WIFI TETHER 3.1 BETA doesnt work... it wont even connect to my laptop...
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Works with your iPhone personal hotspot. Provider can`t tell. I`m using it for this reply. Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    Ive tried everything.. I can get BARNICLE WIFI to work and connect to my laptop but WIFI TETHER 3.1 BETA doesnt work... it wont even connect to my laptop...
    in WiFi tether beta, change the profile to HTC Evo 4G. If that doesn't work, flash cyanogenmod 7 and use the built in WiFi tether
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific808 View Post
    in WiFi tether beta, change the profile to HTC Evo 4G. If that doesn't work, flash cyanogenmod 7 and use the built in WiFi tether
    it appears it was the kernel I was using.. I was usign BC V8 kernel which was an auto bump charge kernel but didnt support Netfilter. Does anyone on here know if an auto-bump charge kernel for the evo 4G that support Netfilter
    Ok for those that have a laptop running windows 7 and say a Blackberry tethered using PDANET, here is how to create the infrastructure mode needed for your HP Touchpad to see the connection and connect to the internet via your tethered blackberry. We know adhoc connections aren't recognized due to WEBOS security settings, but this will get you online!
    (no root required!!)

Requirements:
    -laptop with windows (I am using 32bit Windows 7 ultimate and it works fine)
    -wireless adapter with your laptop
    -administrator access to windows CMD prompt
    -internet connection

1. check to see if your wireless adapter in your laptop has any ad-hoc connection settings available. Be sure to set value to "enable". You should not have to even adjust any settings to get this to work, I didn't. Based on your configurations, you may.

2. Open the windows CMD prompt as an administrator (right click and run as administrator)

3. Type the following : netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=testwifi key="123456789012"

the ssid that you set can be of any value
    the key (with quotes) can be set to any value. You will need this key to connect from the Touchpad

4. Check your DEVICE MANAGER and ensure that a new adapter is now showing entitled "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter" appeared

5. Share your CURRENT internet connection pointing to the new adapter you just created. Check the ALLOW CURRENT USERS TO CONNECT...". Then, In the dropdown box, select the new connection that appeared.

6. Start your new network in CMD prompt with: netsh wlan start hostednetwork

7. Enjoy! The HP touchpad will see this adhoc connection because your laptop is running in Infrastructure Mode.

Troubleshooting:

a. ensure your internet connection is active
    b. the wireless adapter that you will use to create the network should not be connected to any other network
    c. no static ip addresses should be set in the configuration of your laptop wireless adapter
    d. to check if your created network is properly set and running, use the following command at the CMD prompt: netsh wlan show hostednetwork

Enjoy!
    First of all, let me say thank you so much to Anig and Zigzagable, good job, guys.

Second, people, I have confirmed this method is working!

Like Zigzagable said, first, you have to delete all the remembered wifi connections in the Wifi Preferences (by going to Store Profiles and delete the current infrastructure Wifi available in your area). This guarantees that your Touchpad does not automatically connect to infrastructure Wifi (aka Non-ad-hoc wifi).

Second, launch Xterm and run the command as anig mentioned. I only had success when I set the phone wifi to be accessible without password.

Third, launch your web browser, it should work without any problem.

Note: You can make a sh script to include the commands and save some time. You have to run the commands EVERYTIME you wake up the touchpad. Maybe a cron script will work this problem around (check Crond - WebOS Internals). But this is just optional.

Anyway, may I have your attentions, again.

The Ad-Hoc connection is working.

Quote Originally Posted by anig View Post
    I managed to get the Touchpad to connect to my phone using JoikuSpot (ad-hoc wifi) on my phone using the following.

1) From preware download xecutah, xserver and xterm, these are in testing feeds, here is the link Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    2) Open Xecutah and tap on Xserver, this will launch a new card.
    3) Go back to Xecutah and tap on Xterm and go back to the XServer card which should now be a terminal.
    4) Type the following, replacing your-hotspot-name with whatever your phones wifi is called:
    iwconfig eth0 mode ad-hoc essid your-hotspot-name
    5) Type:
    dhclient eth0

At this point the touchpad showed up as a client connected to my phone when I looked at the information in JoikuSpot. However, when I launched web and tried to go to a website it still said no network, so either there is one last step needed or there is something I need to do on my phone. Useful if some one else could try and see if they get the same error.

Note If you have a wireless key then the add key your-key to the end of the iwconfig command. See here for more details Connect to a wireless network via command line
    Quote Originally Posted by 20csummer View Post

I was unable to receive a DHCP response using Wireless tether for root on Android.
    tried the commands in xterm to connect to my jb'd iphone 4 which was broadcasting with pdanet 1st and mywi 2nd - didn't work for me and I was d/c from all wireless networks
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    ok i know ad-hoc is working, but the problem is that it doesn't work for every phone. thats the annoying part. i see all these people saying they got it to work but i haven't seen anyone say they have it working with a Droid 1. which is what i have. ARGH

has anyone gotten it to work with a Droid 1?
    mywi and pdanet work
    Quote Originally Posted by berger34 View Post
    mywi and pdanet work
    saying this explains nothing at all with your post.........
    no phone version, no iOS version, etc etc......

I have an iphone 3GS on 4.3.3, mywi and pdanet do NOT work.
    Touchpad, webOS 3.0.2, f15c eagle 1.728GHz
    iPhone 3GS 4.3.3 jailbroken
  14. chi
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman View Post
    Thank you very much for posting this. You motivated me to finally upgrade my ANCIENT iPhone 4 w/ iOS 4.0 jailbreak! I'm on 4.3.3 now and TetherMe works great over wifi with my touchpad. Thanks again for the help.

I'm going to a conference next week and would much rather tether to my iPhone than pay for hotel internet. Seriously, the more expensive the hotel, the more likely they'll charge for wifi. Ridiculous.
    I'm still on iOS 4.0.2. Tried WiFi and then paid for Tetherme but neither work with my Touchpad.

Guess I'll have to upgrade to 4.3.3.
    First of all, let me say thank you so much to Anig and Zigzagable, good job, guys.

Like Zigzagable said, first, you have to delete all the remembered wifi connections in the Wifi Preferences (by going to Store Profiles and delete the current infrastructure Wifi available in your area). This guarantees that your Touchpad does not automatically connect to infrastructure Wifi (aka Non-ad-hoc wifi).

Second, launch Xterm and run the command as anig mentioned. I only had success when I set the phone wifi to be accessible without password.

Note: You can make a sh script to include the commands and save some time. You have to run the commands EVERYTIME you wake up the touchpad. Maybe a cron script will work this problem around (check Crond - WebOS Internals). But this is just optional.

thank you, but i don't know how you got internet connection. when i do it it connects but i can't actually use the internet

Did not work for me. I tried to tether to n900 running mobile hotspot.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsplatpc View Post
    here was my problem and fix if someone is reading the thread

I have been playing around and doing a bunch of research as why I could not tether my jailbroken iPhone4 to my touchpad. I was running IOS 4.2.1

I came to the conclusion that MiWi (and of course Tetherme) was not showing up when it was reported by some other users it was because I had not upgraded to 4.3.3 when Apple introduced the personal hotspot, I thought I was stuck being forced to upgrade to 4.3.5 with no current jailbreak available to make my touchpad see my hotspot if I wanted to

After doing research I found that when you open Cydia at the very top of the screen on the home page in small font, it should list a bunch of IOS versions if you happened to click SAVE MY SHSH which Cydia prompted you to do on the home screen which it was doing for a while, I had a bunch of versions ranging from 4.0.1 - 4.3.5 which means I could put the firmware of any of those versions on my phone, I decided to do 4.3.3. because it has the personal hotspot and is supported by jailbreakme.com for a super easy jailbreak

so to upgrade to 4.3.3 from 4.2.1 (or any as long as Cydia lists the IOS version at the top) do this, don't forget to do a backup first!

Update iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3 while Preserving Old Baseband with TinyUmbrella | Jaxov

then when you get the error after the restore almost completes, that IS TOTALLY EXPECTED and NOTHING TO BE WORRIED ABOUT, do this

Download TinyUmbrella (Fix Recovery) to Exit iOS 4.3 Recovery Mode Loop | Jaxov

ALSO NOTE when you do the above you might get another common error, it's listed in the instructions at the link above but just in case you see a

"missing zlib1.dll error"

it's totally fine and like I said the fix is in the steps, here they are anyway,

"file link is in the weblink above this paragraph
    pdate#1: Some users reported that they are unable to use TinyUmbrella (FixRecovery) for iOS 4.3 because of some missing zlib1.dll error. To fix this error, download zlib1.dll from here and place it in same directory in which fixrecovery43.exe is present."

after that my iPhone booted, I restored it to the backup I did right before I started, went straight to jailbreakme.com, clicked FREE, it installed, I went to Cydia, downloaded PkgBackup, clicked restore, and had my iPhone exactly as it was before but at 4.3.3 with the personal hotspot available. note I have TetherMe and MyWi installed.

anyway, this all took literally 10 minutes to do (way less then it took to type this but I hope I can help people in the same position I was) and after doing this and using the paid PkgBackup from Cydia, I have everything that was on my 4.2.1 iPhone, will all my data, apps, settings, jailbroken settings, etc was exactly how it was before and now both MiWi and TetherMe both show the network and work perfectly with the touchpad, I can use it anywhere!

*note my paid PdaNet does not work in any mode at all, from hiding data with full security to not hiding data with ZERO security, only MiWi and TetherMe work*

hope that helps anyone else in my situation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
    yes, i updated to 4.3.3 last week and re-jailbroke
    Jailbreak 4.3.3 Untethered iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, iPad Redsn0w 0.9.6rc15 [Tutorial] - Jailbreak 4.3.5 / 5.1 / 4.3.1 / 4.3.2 / 4.3.3 / 4.3.4 iOS 5 Untethered - iPad 2 Jailbreak

<staff edit>, then in itunes hold shift+click restore button. that allows you to choose a file. choose the 4.3.3 update you downloaded. voila, phone updated to 4.3.3, then jailbreak it.

I updated from 4.1 to 4.3.3 just now. I got the 103 error but TinyUmbrella v5.00.10 could not kick my iphone 4 out of receovery. I then found FixRecovery from the same guy behind TU and used FR to kick it out - basically reset the device so allmy contacts and stuff were gone but with 4.3.3. Now restoring my apps. Next up is the JB and cydia.
  18. Dis
    After following the above instructions from Anig and Zigzagable, I can see my TP listed on my passwordless N82 JoikuSpot MAC list but TP informs me I have no internet connection when I try the browser.
    Xterm does tell me I have an IP address but ultimately no interwebs :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    Did not work for me. I tried to tether to n900 running mobile hotspot.
    Did you set password for your mobile hotspot? If yes, this is not going to work.
    Check your JoikuSpot DNS setting, make sure they are using default DNS (not customized DNS like Google's or OpenDNS's).
    And just FYI, I've been using Channel 1 of WIFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Dis View Post
    After following the above instructions from Anig and Zigzagable, I can see my TP listed on my passwordless N82 JoikuSpot MAC list but TP informs me I have no internet connection when I try the browser.
    Xterm does tell me I have an IP address but ultimately no interwebs :-/
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast