1.    #1  
    Hi,

So here is what I want to know.

Lets say, you have 4G plan on your smartphone.
    You have wifi touchpad

Can you use your "4G" from smartphone as a wifi host to access internet where there is no wifi? I mean, can you connect to internet via your smartphone's 4G?

Thanks
    Yes, you'll have to setup your phone to do that. I recommend you visit the the forums of your phone for more info.
    I love Nerdy Girls.
    Oh... I should totally follow this BAMF www.twitter.com/demiroquai
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Your asking if you can tether the Touchpad, I don't know
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Yes, I also have a thunderbolt that I've used. Its actually faster than most wifi connection on VZWs LTE.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
  5. k1l
    if the smartphone can do wifi tether, yes. for the touchpad wifi is wifi. if its your router or your smartphone doesnt matter
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demiroquai View Post
    Yes, you'll have to setup your phone to do that. I recommend you visit the the forums of your phone for more info.
    Well there needs to be a way to tether

One I know of is a Hotspot program
    ive tethered my rooted htc evo via free tether to my touchpad. Works fine. But idk about 4g cause sadly. I don't have 4g in my area
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3H0ff View Post
    Yes, I also have a thunderbolt that I've used. Its actually faster than most wifi connection on VZWs LTE.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Is that Hassel hoff with CR? LOL
  9.    #9  
    Ok thanks for quck replies...you guys rock...

But just want to know...will it work for Sprint/ATT phones? I don't have a phone yet but I am getting new plan with smartphone (very) soon. Just want to know if it's possible...it won't be HP phone btw...it will be samsun/apple (android/iOS) probably.
  10. k1l
    that depends on the phone. buy one which got this feature and everything is fine
    enable wifi hotspot on your phone, your TouchPad should be able to search and connect.

edit; not sure if wifi tether is available on all phones, my HTC Desire Z is rooted.(android)
    Last edited by stea1thmode; 08/27/2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1l View Post
    that depends on the phone. buy one which got this feature and everything is fine

What this guy says. The *phone* is the thing that needs to have a certain capability. A Mobile Hotspot app for instance. So shop around. All of us with Pre's don't have to worry about it thanks to homebrew! Wo0t!
  13.    #13  
    Thankx guys for letting me know about phone pre-reqesite. I will make sure that the phone I get has that capability...If I am unsure, I will post it here for your guidance.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I tether my touchpad to my original Pre with FreeTether. Works great.
    Almost any upper-echelon smartphone released in the past 2 years should work. If the specs say wifi sharing or Internet sharing, you should be good to go.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    You should know that carriers don't look favorably upon this whole 'free' tethering practice. They require you to buy an expensive monthly plan if you want to tether. AT&T even went ahead and sent warning messages to some people who were bypassing these restrictions with rooted/jailbroken phones.

AT&T tells customers using unauthorized tethering methods to pay up or stop (update) -- Engadget

Some discussion on this:

http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/foru...t-message.html

I don't mean to scare you. I just wanted to give you a possible picture of what might happen. You might want to take that into consideration when choosing your carrier.