Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By o_dat1
  • 3 Post By plgnply
  1.    #1  
    Not sure whats wrong with my TP. Here's the background... I ran my TP in factory mode for a few days and wanted to apply the hulu fix so I started the process for webOS doctor... I backed it up, put it in Developer mode successfully and then ran webOS Doctor on it. It rebooted after the process and I got the beginning screens asking for language, country, etc... After that it asked me for my HP password which I put in and it started a restore which froze at around 20%. I left it there for over a half hour and it didnt budge past that point. So I held the power button down to attempt a restart and thats when it died on me. It just sits at the HP screen with the flashing orb for ages...

I did the USB trick by powering down and then holding down vol up and power buttons and got it back in USB mode where I ran WebOS doctor again which took about 15-20 minutes and it restarted. SO I logged into my webOS account and it restarted after restore and all seems well since I can see my email accounts but no apps. So I try to go to App Catalog and its not there! I have alerts at the top of the screen saying Kindle failed to install, Facebook failed to install, etc (about 20 in all) but when I select them it goes to a black screen that looks like it has a Touchpad in the middle with a blank white screen. Going to the icons menu shows the App Catalog icon with a yellow triangle with an exclamation in the middle as well as all of my other apps. Only about 3-4 apps restored properly but App Catalog wasnt one of them. I did update my App catalog from the original stock since it indicated there was an update, but I cant seem to get it back! I've done a system restart 3 times already and it still hasnt returned. Help???
    Last edited by techprincesse; 08/27/2011 at 02:34 PM.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    did you look on the download tab?
    Can you find the HP App catalog from the Just Type bar and run it?

First make sure you have a good wifi connection and the ISP isnt dropping packets. Afterwards do an Erase Apps and Data from Device info app and resign into you webos account.

There has been a batch of apps that have been failing to install the last couple days, wondering if the catalog server is getting slammed with all the new devices. Restoring data from an erase taps this server to reinstall your apps.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did you look on the download tab?
    Yep, thats what I called the "icons menu above" (sorry!) Its name is listed but the icon is missing and it only has a yellow hazard triangle with an exclamation inside. See photo below.

Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Can you find the HP App catalog from the Just Type bar and run it?

First make sure you have a good wifi connection and the ISP isnt dropping packets. Afterwards do an Erase Apps and Data from Device info app and resign into you webos account.

There has been a batch of apps that have been failing to install the last couple days, wondering if the catalog server is getting slammed with all the new devices. Restoring data from an erase taps this server to reinstall your apps.
    When I type app catalog in Just Type it comes up but when I click to run it it only opens the black screen with the Cartoon touchpad in the center akin to a generic icon in Windows. It does this for any app that has the yellow hazard triangle on it. I am attaching photos of the 2 screens. I have a good wifi connection but I assumed the app catalog app would be built in to prevent things like this. I'm going to do an erase and see if that fixes. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
  5.    #5  
    Okay, I'm back at square one again! =(

I initiated the Erase Apps and Data command from Device Info and it rebooted after the process and I got the beginning screens asking for language, country, etc... After that I logged into my webOS account and its stuck at around 25 percent this time. Its been there for about an hour and I am scared to do a forced power off like last time cause it took me almost 2 hours to get it back to being operable again.

Is there any way to force the TP to use the stock version of the App Catalog again? Cause everytime I restore it seems it ends up missing due to server load and I need App Catalog obviously to load all my other stuff. I dont want to create a new Palm account cause I have a bunch of paid apps in the account I made last week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by techprincesse; 08/27/2011 at 05:14 PM.

-=-=-
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
  6.    #6  
    Okay update to this issue in case someone else is having it. I spoke to about 4 people at HP Butler service. They escalated to level 4 technician who called me about an hour ago. After much hoop jumping (more doctoring, secure erase, etc) they are telling me my 5 day old Touchpad has corrupt memory and needs to be repaired. Nevermind the fact that it was working before the App Catalog updated and all other apps and services work fine. So they are sending me a box to send it in which I will get tomorrow. They said I should get it back within 7-10 business days. =(

They assured me I would get back the same TP I sent in. Which I hope cause mine is still brand new, I havent even taken the plastic off yet... But as long as it works when I get it back I'm good. Thanks for the responses with suggestions guys.

-=-=-
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    I'm thinking outside of the box and don't really know a lot about doctoring (just did my first doctor in 2 years on my new FrankenPre). I have a suggestion which may not work but... have you tried creating a new Palm/HP profile instead of signing into your old one. If the doctoring completes with the new profile there may be something wrong with the backup in your original profile.

Use the save/restore app from PreWare for any apps you've purchased. If the new profile works, maybe you can delete your old profile then recreate it (and delete the new test profile).

BTW, I used the Hulu fix and no Doctoring was involved just the QuickInstall.

Sorry this has been so frustrating for you.
  8.    #8  
    Hey daffy, thanks but that was one of the steps we tried with support on the phone. Still no dice. I created a brand new hp webOS account after doctoring and everything worked except the app catalog. Since my machine froze during a restore, the tech said it may have damaged some part of memory that the App catalog is stored. At any rate they will fix it or give me a device that works. Better it malfunctioned now then in the future once my warranty is up!

As for the Hulu fix, I did it manually and it worked fine. Thanks!

-=-=-
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Hey, my idea wasn't as crazy as I thought. I'm glad they'll be able to fix it for you. :-)
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I had the same issue with the HP App Catalog not working and the icon was missing . It kept failing to update in the Software Manager section of the Launcher.

So after messing around with it so much; I tried removing it in the Preware then reinstalling it. Well it removed fine but when trying to reinstall, it was stuck in the process of downloading/ installing loop.

So while that was happening, I hit the Home Key to minimize the downloading/ installing screen in Preware to keep the process running. Next I went back to the Software Manager in the Launcher and kept tapping on the HP App Catalog icon until and notice this error message popping up

It said 'Download Failed' with two options to choose from; "Try Again" or Cancel.

Well I chose "Try Again" and then it installed and updated just fine.

After that I notice that the download/ installing process in the Preware was still running so I close it.

Now I don't know if keeping the process of the HP App Catalog download/ installing in Preware helped fixed the issue since it did not install from Preware, but that is what I did to get it back on the Touchpad.

I hope this can help someone else that has the same issue.
    stlcardinal9 likes this.
    I also just had the same problem:
    -doctored my TP to 3.0.4
    -restored my TP account
    -HP App Catalog had yellow yield sign (hazard sign)

Solution:
    -Open Software Manager
    -Click on yellow yield sign icon
    -Choose Try Again, if prompted

I simply opened Software Manager and clicked on the yellow yield sign. It said something about download was not successful and asked if I wanted to try again. I chose to try again and it downloaded the HP App Catalog and proceeded to successfully install it. I had been erroneously tapping on the name 'HP App Catalog' rather than the yellow yield sign. It seems tapping on the yield sign is important.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by plgnply; 11/23/2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: add solution bullets
    Quote Originally Posted by plgnply View Post
    -doctored my TP to 3.0.4
    -restored my TP account

I simply opened Software Manager and clicked on the yellow yield sign. It said something about download was not successful and asked if I wanted to try again. I chose to try again and it downloaded the HP App Catalog and proceeded to successfully install it. I had been erroneously tapping on the name 'HP App Catalog' rather than the yellow yield sign. It seems tapping on the yield sign is important.

Hope this helps someone.
    Thank you, I was having this exact issue and now its resolved. I would be lost without you lovely precentral users!!!
    -doctored my TP to 3.0.4
    -restored my TP account

Hope this helps someone.
    Bingo!

This did it for me

Thank you for sharing your experience
    most often a simple soft erase fixes this issue . Just sayin . A soft erase just erases apps and data
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I am having same issue. I did WebOS Doctor and the App Catalog is gone after reinstall and reboot. It has the yellow ! sign next to it in SoftWare Manager and when I click on it, it takes me to the web and tries to do a search for Comcast???

No earthly idea what is going on.
    Try this: http://forums.precentral.net/3244744-post11.html

Let us know if it helps or not.
    -doctored my TP to 3.0.4
    -restored my TP account

Hope this helps someone.
    Wow, after all the time I spent doing a soft erase, a doctor, and whatever else I can think of to fix this issue.. I can't believe that this simple thing fixed it! I should have read the forums before spending a crap load of time trying to figure something out.

Thanks!
    Clicking on the yellow triangle. Thanks for this. I guess that is supposed to be obvious. Spent a couple of days trying to figure out how to get my app catalog back. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    -doctored my TP to 3.0.4
    -restored my TP account

Solution:
    -Open Software Manager
    -Click on yellow yield sign icon
    -Choose Try Again, if prompted

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks a million, thought i was screwed.