1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have a HP TouchPad and the vFat FS 4GB file size limit is a real pain as most of my 720p movies are 4.7 GB. (I don't want to re-encode them to make them smaller)

I'm still searching if it's possible to reformat the /media/internal/ partition from vFat to ext3 to remove that 4GB file limitation.
    I am aware that USB mode won't work anymore in Windows, but as I mainly use wireless sftp to do my transfers to tablet even if it's slower than usb, loosing usb partition mounting would not be too much inconvenient for me. I could also use ext3 drivers on my PC if I really needed it.

Has anybody tried this? I mostly know how to do, but I want to be sure it is possible and that it will not cause any other problem than loosing usb mounting on Windows.

Thank you
    Be sure to post something if you do try this. I've been tempted to do the same thing, and don't really see it being a problem.. but I don't have time to fix it right now if it is a problem. I'm hoping if you reformat it and just make sure you change vfat to ext3 in the fstab, everything will be good.
  3.    #3  
    I will probably try, but it will wait because the primary reason to do so was to be able to transfer movies on the TouchPad, but even 720p movies of 2GB don't play well so.
    Have you considered using an NTFS partition instead? That should still allow USB access from windows, but it might require a custom kernel though.

Alternately, I think you can get ext3 support under windows.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cbf123 View Post
    Alternately, I think you can get ext3 support under windows.
    Yes I can, there is multiple ext3 drivers for windows.
    But in fact, I almost always boot in Linux these times, so ext3 is far to be a problem!
    Hi guys. I have seen posts from people claiming they have reformated their /media/internal to ext3fs, is it correct that this is possible please?

If so, how?

I would like to be able to copy >4Gb files to my touchpad - same reason as OP, I would like to have HD movies on this thing.

thanks
    Paul
    Last edited by coopso; 11/21/2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: if so how?
    Quote Originally Posted by coopso View Post
    Hi guys. I have seen posts from people claiming they have reformated their /media/internal to ext3fs, is it correct that this is possible please?

If so, how?

I would like to be able to copy >4Gb files to my touchpad - same reason as OP, I would like to have HD movies on this thing.

thanks
    Paul
    So I have made some progress with this now. I used Tailor (beta pre-ware) to resize the media partition and add an ext3 partition.

I have not been able to work out how to see this partition in any apps under webOS so have resorted to Android. Under Android I have successfully mounted (manually only so far) the partition and used dd to create a dummy 7Gb file to prove it works.

With the partition mounted, the USB to copy files under WebOS does work, the drive shows up, but I cannot copy over files bigger than the FAT32 partition... Under Android USB does not work at all, my PC will not see the drive. So right now I'm stuck with FTP to copy files across, with a HD mkv this is taking forever :-)

Any suggestions on making the USB copy work please?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    is ext4 similar to ext3? if so.. apparently warthog can work with it https://twitter.com/#!/warthogkernel...77899942739969

(not sure how useful this information will be lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    is ext4 similar to ext3? if so.. apparently warthog can work with it https://twitter.com/#!/warthogkernel...77899942739969

(not sure how useful this information will be lol)
    Not very, but thanks anyway
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i wasn't talking about your problems.
    You should be able to do this from xterm or from a ssh terminal, just mke3fs on it ..
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: