Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just like I was used to with the Pre, on the Touchstone the tablet's screen stays on. But since the TP screen is bigger and shinnier than the Pre's and it still has the new gadget glow for me, I've been wondering if using the Touchstone will mean that ultimately I'll have fewer hours of life from my TP. Since if I leave it on the Touchstone overnight, that's 7-9 hours of screen use a day (plus the few hours of regular use I give it), whereas using the mini usb means the screen is alive for just the few hours of use.

    OR, is the life of the screen so long that if I never turn it off for three years all its pixels would still be fine and it would be just as bright as it is today?
  2. #2  
    How long do you think you'll be using it? As it is, the typical lifespan usually exceeds the useful lifespan of the device. I have a PMP that's around 8 years old that still works fine.

    edit: The brightness will naturally degrade over time anyway. I really wish I could turn exhibition mode off as I can't get mine to sit on the Touchstone with the case on it.
  3. #3  
    I promise that the black plastic backing of the Touchpad will crack and fall off YEARS before the screen stops working. :P
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I promise that the black plastic backing of the Touchpad will crack and fall off YEARS before the screen stops working. :P
    Ahh, that's good to know

    Do you happen to know how much power is used per hour while the TP is on the touchstone?
  5. #5  
    I noticed yesterday that after putting my touchpad on the touchstone I got last night and exhibition mode fired up, I just had to hit the power button again and it turned off my screen completely.

    That might help with any concerns about the screen staying on. Sure wish I could do that with my pre- too.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
  6. #6  
    I actually just posted a thread last night about this, but I noticed some slight (temporary) burn-in / image retention from Exhibition mode.

    I had been using the Accuweather app, and my town name was still visible faintly after I had exited Exhibition. It eventually faded away, but it is concerning.
  7. #7  
    08/27/2011 02:28 PM
    ASprintGuy I noticed yesterday that after putting my touchpad on the touchstone I got last night and exhibition mode fired up, I just had to hit the power button again and it turned off my screen completely.

    That might help with any concerns about the screen staying on. Sure wish I could do that with my pre- too.


    your pre- can turn the screen off while on the touchstone by pressig the power button
  8. #8  
    Power button Exhibition off has been a feature since webOS 2.0. I definitely use it on my TouchPad when nighttime comes.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ASprintGuy View Post
    I noticed yesterday that after putting my touchpad on the touchstone I got last night and exhibition mode fired up, I just had to hit the power button again and it turned off my screen completely.

    That might help with any concerns about the screen staying on. Sure wish I could do that with my pre- too.
    I do this as well. However, the screen turns back on when a notification (email, weather dashboard, update, etc.) comes in.

    I suppose we need a "Mode Switcher" for the TouchPad like we had for the phones.
    "Be excellent to each other!" -Bill & Ted
  10. #10  
    I don't know if I am imagining this or not but I think I recall seeing a co-worker with an iPad case a long time ago that when the case was closed the ipad screen would shut off. I was hoping we'd have something like this with the HP folio case, because putting the TP on the touchstone with the folio case open is kind of awkward, it would be nice if the screen could shut off if the cover was closed (the times I have checked the screen stays on when the cover is closed but I haven't been too careful in looking. Is there a light sensor on the TP like on the phones ?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    I don't know if I am imagining this or not but I think I recall seeing a co-worker with an iPad case a long time ago that when the case was closed the ipad screen would shut off. I was hoping we'd have something like this with the HP folio case, because putting the TP on the touchstone with the folio case open is kind of awkward, it would be nice if the screen could shut off if the cover was closed (the times I have checked the screen stays on when the cover is closed but I haven't been too careful in looking. Is there a light sensor on the TP like on the phones ?
    top left corner there is a light sensor
  12. ac921ol's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    I do this as well. However, the screen turns back on when a notification (email, weather dashboard, update, etc.) comes in.

    I suppose we need a "Mode Switcher" for the TouchPad like we had for the phones.
    that is when you disable the wifi and have a good night, if i need any notifications from my TP then they can easily call my cell to get a hold of me. So I just disable Wifi and press the power button when its on my Touchstone.

    pain sometimes, but hey what do you expect for $149.00 not everything is going to be perfect.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I actually just posted a thread last night about this, but I noticed some slight (temporary) burn-in / image retention from Exhibition mode.

    I had been using the Accuweather app, and my town name was still visible faintly after I had exited Exhibition. It eventually faded away, but it is concerning.
    There are some people who claim LCD screens don't/can't have burn-in.

    Well... my Samsung 40" LCD TV that I bought a couple of years ago
    has a nice NBC peakcock burned into it. I paused the DVR playback
    of some NBC show to answer a phone call upstairs. The screen was the
    fade to black image between two scenes, with only the NBC peacock
    in bright colors.

    I completely forgot about it and went to bed. The next evening, I went
    down to the basement and was shocked to realize the same picture is
    still paused on the screen. The burned-in NBC peacock is faint, but
    visible, even today. Naturally, Best Buy declined to honor the extended
    warranty that I bought from them.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by erick161 View Post
    top left corner there is a light sensor
    The light sensor only controls dimming (if turned on) and doesn't contol the screen on and off.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    There are some people who claim LCD screens don't/can't have burn-in.

    Well... my Samsung 40" LCD TV that I bought a couple of years ago
    has a nice NBC peakcock burned into it. I paused the DVR playback
    of some NBC show to answer a phone call upstairs. The screen was the
    fade to black image between two scenes, with only the NBC peacock
    in bright colors.

    I completely forgot about it and went to bed. The next evening, I went
    down to the basement and was shocked to realize the same picture is
    still paused on the screen. The burned-in NBC peacock is faint, but
    visible, even today. Naturally, Best Buy declined to honor the extended
    warranty that I bought from them.
    That's why I always leave any of my high def TV's set to screen saver, or whatever option they offer. Then again, I play console games, and have an HTPC setup.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    That's why I always leave any of my high def TV's set to screen saver, or whatever option they offer. Then again, I play console games, and have an HTPC setup.
    Sadly, my Samsung and my DVR didn't have a screensaver function.

    I recently got a new satellite receiver/DVR that has screensaver
    mode... in additions, I also have the TV plugged into a $9 Belkin
    timer plug that I bought from Amazon. When I start watching TV,
    I press it once and it automatically cuts off AC power after 6 hours.
  17. ac921ol's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #17  
    Verizon has a feature that will let it play after about 2 minutes of pause, which works for me, lol, otherwise I turn my junx's off.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by roundruler View Post
    Sadly, my Samsung and my DVR didn't have a screensaver function.

    I recently got a new satellite receiver/DVR that has screensaver
    mode... in additions, I also have the TV plugged into a $9 Belkin
    timer plug that I bought from Amazon. When I start watching TV,
    I press it once and it automatically cuts off AC power after 6 hours.
    AWWWW, the power cutoff sounds nice though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  19. #19  
    I have a simple solution. Don't use touchstone! I didn't like the trickle charge idea so I didn't buy a touchstone and don't regret it.
    jedinat likes this.
  20. #20  
    if i know the battery is fully charged, and would like to maintaining the batteries longevity by allowing it to fully charge and dis-charge, I will just sit the TP with Folio case up against the touchstone dock. This way it charging the device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions