Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By morydees
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have a 32GB set up and customized. When I fired up my new 16GB and logged into webOS, it gives me the option to restore backed up data, accounts, apps and settings. I want the 16Gb to be just like the 32, so will this restore do that?
    yes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    thanks, I'll give it a shot
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda
    hehe.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IICODECll View Post
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda
    hehe.
    I'm not following you.
    Is it as seamless as it sounds? When my second one arrives can I just log into WebOS, say restore and it'll bring the main stuff over?

I figure I'll have to do things like run the update to 3.0.2 myself and overclock it again, but apps and settings would be great.
    grindboy likes this.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    Is it as seamless as it sounds? When my second one arrives can I just log into WebOS, say restore and it'll bring the main stuff over?

I figure I'll have to do things like run the update to 3.0.2 myself and overclock it again, but apps and settings would be great.
    It worked fine for me. It pulled down all my accounts, all the free apps I got from the HP store, even had my browsing history. You'll still need to run update, install pre-ware/patches/uberkernel/govnah/etc.
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
    I'm not following you.
    He was trying to be funny. Dd is a unix/linux utility. What this command would do is write random data over your partition, virtually wiping your OS out... Bad form.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by horn34 View Post
    It worked fine for me. It pulled down all my accounts, all the free apps I got from the HP store, even had my browsing history. You'll still need to run update, install pre-ware/patches/uberkernel/govnah/etc.
    Just what I needed to know. Thanks!
    yep just use the same profile... hey if you homebrewed your TP to add two newtabs that will show up too
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    After you get the second TP cloned, what happens if you later change the profile?
    Will you lose those apps? The paid for, and homebrew ones?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I thought he was trying to clone like a sheep!

Sent from my EPIC
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    After you get the second TP cloned, what happens if you later change the profile?
    Will you lose those apps? The paid for, and homebrew ones?
    You never lose apps you downloaded from the App Catalog. Paid or free (unless the app is pulled from the catalog all together).

If you have two TouchPad using the same profile, you can delete or modify something for one device and it wont affect the other. If you download a paid app from the App Catalog, then the other device will be able to download it without having to repurchase.

You can have completely customized devices running the same profile.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Which is great because, like with ios, kindle, etc, you can buy multiple devices and share apps/books.
    If you change the profile, do you get the 50gb free cloud space under the new profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    If you change the profile, do you get the 50gb free cloud space under the new profile?
    You use your username/password to have the 50gb free cloud space on box.net so yes if you use the same profile (it will prompt you for your password)

I have restored once I did a doctor and it was pretty easy, you will have to download your apps again but once they are installed everything seemed to be saved. This will NOT clone your USB partition (what you see when you plug it in your pc) so you will have to manually copy all that over.
    I'm interested in this also. What will happen if I delete the email accounts from one TP? Will it be deleted from the other TP as well?