Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    SOLVED - Changing to a different computer did the trick. I don't know why, quick install ran off the laptop and installed preware, but would not work with web doctor.

CHARGING - when the TP was turned off with power, home, and down volume it would not charge. I left it in the never ending reboot cycle and it did charge.

I guess I've done the impossible. I've bricked my touchpad. Actually it is not bricked, it is stuck in a never ending boot loop.

I've had it for all of 3 days, installed preware, uberkernel, xecutah, internalz, kalemsoft media player, etc. I've applied all the patches recommended in the get started guide, and patched libflashplayer.so to work with hulu. Everything went fine until I read this post.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rk-shares.html

I got the shares working from the command line, and decided to figure out why it didn't work in fstab. My mistake. I should have been happy like it was. My only excuse is it was way too late last night and I wasn't thinking clearly.

I EDITED MOUNTALLFS.SH IN /ETC/INIT.D

I paged through the file until I came to the part where the comment was something about mounting the non volatile? file systems. The command executed was

mount -a -t vfat,ext3,xxxxx

I added ,cifs saved and rebooted.

It has been stuck in a boot loop ever since. Neither the doctor nor quickinstall recognize it. I can semi put it in usb mode by holding the up volume switch while it reboots. When I plug it into my XP laptop, it beeps like a usb device is plugged in or unplugged, every 10 seconds or so. It is not accessable as a usb drive. My linux desktop has no reaction when it is plugged in.

I can force a faster reboot by holding center and power for 15 seconds. The only way to get it out of semi usb mode is hold center, power, and down volume for 15 seconds. That combo is the only way to shut it off.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by rbourne3; 08/29/2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: solved
    Can you do a full firmware restore on it like on an iOS devices or Android? DFU mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbourne3 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas?
    @webosinternals on Twitter
  4.    #4  
    I'm old, I've never tweeted. Guess it's time to learn
    Can you turn it off and on again () while pressing the volume up button? Should initiate recovery (or DFU?) mode and you can doctor the TP.
    SkindancerAng likes this.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    In the same boat as the OP same patches from preware same overclock and was working perfect until it just shut off and wouldn't pass the HP logo during restart no matter what I tried. Now it is currently connected to webOS doctor and it is stuck at 12% just like a few other people on here have been talking about so I'm guessing its hardware related issues going to call HP when they open in a couple hours. Total bummer I love this tab it hasn't left my hands since I got it pretty much
    Quote Originally Posted by jace985 View Post
    In the same boat as the OP same patches from preware same overclock and was working perfect until it just shut off and wouldn't pass the HP logo during restart no matter what I tried. Now it is currently connected to webOS doctor and it is stuck at 12% just like a few other people on here have been talking about so I'm guessing its hardware related issues going to call HP when they open in a couple hours. Total bummer I love this tab it hasn't left my hands since I got it pretty much
    Wait, check out this page and follow the instructions to run the doc from command line to see the errors.
    Last edited by johnnygewitter; 08/27/2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: added quote
    Wow so I'm guessing troubleshooting a TouchPad firmware is much harder than on iOS! Or maybe cuz I'm a noob at this.
    Put it in recovery mode and doctor it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    Wow so I'm guessing troubleshooting a TouchPad firmware is much harder than on iOS! Or maybe cuz I'm a noob at this.
    Depends on what exactly you mean by troubleshooting. Doctoring (restoring) is pretty easy, the webOS Doctor is a single Java application which is self explanatory. In OP's case (reboot loop) I don't know if the doctor recognizes the device, if it doesn't he or she should try to get into recovery mode (pressing and holding volume up button).
    Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    Wow so I'm guessing troubleshooting a TouchPad firmware is much harder than on iOS!
    Such certain statements from such new users of webOS devices.

Hmm.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  12.    #12  
    the doctor runs fine with a double click, but says invalid jar file when run on the command line
    Quote Originally Posted by rbourne3 View Post
    It has been stuck in a boot loop ever since. Neither the doctor nor quickinstall recognize it. I can semi put it in usb mode by holding the up volume switch while it reboots. When I plug it into my XP laptop, it beeps like a usb device is plugged in or unplugged, every 10 seconds or so. It is not accessable as a usb drive. My linux desktop has no reaction when it is plugged in.

I can force a faster reboot by holding center and power for 15 seconds. The only way to get it out of semi usb mode is hold center, power, and down volume for 15 seconds. That combo is the only way to shut it off.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Plug it into a computer with working novacom drivers.

Hold Power and Home for 30 seconds. When it shuts down, hold the volume up and then push power. You will get the USB symbol.

Apply the webOS doctor.

It is not bricked, it is simply temporarily unbootable.

-- Rod
    dadueler likes this.
  14.    #14  
    When I put it in recovery mode, windows, linux, the doctor, and quick install fail to recognize it.

Do I need to rename ...doctor.jnlp to .jar
    Last edited by rbourne3; 08/27/2011 at 06:09 AM. Reason: avoid double post
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Such certain statements from such new users of webOS devices.

Hmm.

-- Rod
    Yea sorry I'm just use to DFU> itunes> then bam fresh firmware and ready to go!
    Try step-by-step.

1. Disconnect TP
    2. Turn off TP
    3. Download the Doctor
    4. Open the Doctor, follow instructions/click next until it wants you to connect the device.
    5. Press volume up button while turning the TP on until you see the USB logo.
    6. Connect TP.

What does it say? / What happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Plug it into a computer with working novacom drivers.

Hold Power and Home for 30 seconds. When it shuts down, hold the volume up and then push power. You will get the USB symbol.

Apply the webOS doctor.

It is not bricked, it is simply temporarily unbootable.

-- Rod
    Is that for Windows users or for Mac as well? Thanx
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    wheres the doctor file located? restarted my TP and it isn't bricked I still get into usb mode but whats the path for java -jar < ? >
    @rbourne3 you may need to restart your novacom drivers by going into the Start menu then hit Run. Type in cmd to open up command line, then type in services.msc. Scroll down until you find Palm Novacom, right click, hit Stop, then hit Restart.

Now go to post #16 and follow that.

Also....all my doctor versions, for TouchPad and for my Pre, their extensions all end with .jar not .jnlp

I'm not sure why you have that but you can re-download the doctor HERE This one ends with .jar
    @jace the path is the actual location of the doctor on YOUR PC. so say it's on the desktop it would probably look something like this:

java-jar <C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar>

to find the location, right click the file, wherever you see the icon, go to properties, and you will see the path there.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast