Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post
    Judging by the pictures from the link above it is definitely a sim card slot. It has the actual slot with contacts installed but does not appear to be wired to anything.

see the following pictures(37,38,39):

Cracking Open the HP TouchPad: SIM card slot | 39 of 74

To even slide a sim card in, I think the black piece has to be completely removed.
    hmmmm ,that's important to see...

we must work around ... xda developers go !!! http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/c...ng#photopaging
    - HP Veer --
    The Motorola Xoom WiFi has the same thing.

Why the Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi Has A SIM Slot | TechnoBuffalo

Cutting down costs and/or future upgrade-ability, then.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post
    Judging by the pictures from the link above it is definitely a sim card slot. It has the actual slot with contacts installed but does not appear to be wired to anything.
    I stand corrected! The sim assembly must be cheap enough for HP to use it as a mechanical fastener for the plastic blank. It would still be difficult getting 3G/4G working without the radios. Replacing the Snapdragon BGA with the version with built-in radios is not a DIY operation!
    Quote Originally Posted by MincerRay View Post
    I stand corrected! The sim assembly must be cheap enough for HP to use it as a mechanical fastener for the plastic blank. It would still be difficult getting 3G/4G working without the radios. Replacing the Snapdragon BGA with the version with built-in radios is not a DIY operation!

I agree with this and I am sure it would not be cost effective. I just want the damn TP to recognize the Bluetooth signal from my android so I can tether that way. If all else fails I will just downgrade my data plan on my phone and buy a mobile hotspot to carry around with me for $40-50 a month.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hi,
    i bought the 64 GB Touchpad, because the hotline told me, that there is 3G functionality on it.
    But i have only that blind slot, nothing else .(
    <<modified title to clarify topic of thread>>
    I don't think any of the 4G Touchpads made it to market. Of course, I didn't think any of the 1.5GHz 64GB White Touchpads made it to market either, but obviously a handful did.

If your Touchpad is capable of 4G, it will have an FCC ID of B94HHI30C. If your Touchpad's FCC ID is B94HHI29C, it is not capable of 4G.

The B94HHI30C would have been black and 32GB, but running at 1.5GHz instead of 1.2GHz, like the white 64GB one.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    You left it at home????

What are you?

lol no I ordered my TouchPads online from here and got one locally from my bro.
    I see the slot, but is there supposed to be a 'filler' piece in there? I just have an open slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post
    When your new TP arrives check it !!!

It will be some great surprices like this man on youtube .....

Is the touchpad unlocked. I could go into att and go get me a sim card. Anyone do that?
    Like a lot of people have stated here, the TouchPad we all have doesn't have the hardware to support 3G, so inserting a SIM card (to the best of my knowledge) is a moot point. I would've rather seen this slot utilized for SD storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAB View Post
    Like a lot of people have stated here, the TouchPad we all have doesn't have the hardware to support 3G, so inserting a SIM card (to the best of my knowledge) is a moot point. I would've rather seen this slot utilized for SD storage.
    At first I thought it was a sd card slot with nothing in it. But surprisingly it was a sim card slot that isn't functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by MincerRay View Post
    It's an empty slot. There is no SIM connector on the PC board. The WiFi TP uses the version of the Snapdragon that has no radios. HP uses the plastic insert as a place to put the serial number label.
    I called HP, and MincerRay is correct, it's NOT a SIM card space or a space for anything like that. Since we cannot get to our batteries on our TPs, they had to put the serial numbers and those other important numbers that one would normally find under their battery on a cell phone some place right?

If you flip your TP over with the power button pointing to your left and pull that piece of plastic out--and do notice that it cannot be pulled all the way out--you will see special numbers and bar codes on them. For anyone who has gotten one without that lovely piece I'd check with HP to see if it's stolen. Why put them there if we can pull this information up on the TP itself? Well, how are you going to do that if say you have it plugged into the wall charger and your house is hit by lightening frying the innards to your TP??? Or if you drop it and it will no longer turn on?

That's it. Nothing more. Sorry to burst your bubble. I've taken a good picture of mine in case it ever gets stolen then I have all these numbers as well as the packaging to prove that it is mine. And with how scarce they seem to be becoming, it might not be a bad idea to do that yourselves.

Besides, if it was a slot of that type, don't you think it would have been labeled in the diagrams in our user manuals?
    Quote Originally Posted by JediPriestess View Post
    I called HP, and MincerRay is correct, it's NOT a SIM card space or a space for anything like that.
    On the 4G Touchpads, that's exactly what it's for. Also, if you look at the disassembled non-4G Touchpad, you will see that the slot that that piece of plastic plugs into is in fact a SIM slot, it's just not wired to anything.

Cracking Open the HP TouchPad: SIM card slot | 39 of 74
    Touchscreens are a fad.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12