Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By geeksquadkid
  • 1 Post By clayclay350
  1.    #1  
    I just bought a new touchpad I use it for school everything I try to download a word doc it won't do it how do I download and view word docs
    get the box.net app and sign up for free on line account. Or use google docs. Native editing via docs2go is supposed to arrive next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    get the box.net app and sign up for free on line account. Or use google docs. Native editing via docs2go is supposed to arrive next week.
    Don't you mean quick office? Docs to go dropped out a long time ago I thought.
    grgrycth likes this.
    I am having the same issue. A download link pops up but it won't download.
    I think the browser is lacking plugins or something. I have tried download links for word docs, excel and PDF files. None of them will open from the touchpad and I constantly get the "cannot open mime type" error message. I have to download them on my desktop, then load them on box.net, then download them from there to the TP. This seems to work pretty good, but I find it ridiculous that it has to be done this way.
    You guys having problems with this: I have a work around.

For some reason the browser downloads everything with the extension .aspx. For example the document I downloaded should have had the extension .docx for Word 2007 up, but it downloaded with the extension .aspx. I downloaded the document, opened Gemini file manager and changed the extension on the file to the proper .docx. I then opened quickoffice and it was able to open the file correctly after that.

Would be much easier if the browser downloaded the file with the correct extension already in place, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.
    Last edited by razorsedge; 08/30/2011 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post
    I think the browser is lacking plugins or something. I have tried download links for word docs, excel and PDF files. None of them will open from the touchpad and I constantly get the "cannot open mime type" error message. I have to download them on my desktop, then load them on box.net, then download them from there to the TP. This seems to work pretty good, but I find it ridiculous that it has to be done this way.
    Why not just download them and then open Quick Office; whatever you downloaded should be listed under the "My Touchpad" section.
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Why not just download them and then open Quick Office; whatever you downloaded should be listed under the "My Touchpad" section.
    Been there, done that... several times. They won't download from the site if I am on the TP for some reason. When I open quick office for doc, xl or adobe for PDF the files do not show up.

Here.... Try to open, or download the PDF on this quickoffice page. The PDF is under article options on the right hand side of the page.

Quickoffice - Support Center
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DegreesLower View Post
    Been there, done that... several times. They won't download from the site if I am on the TP for some reason. When I open quick office for doc, xl or adobe for PDF the files do not show up.

Here.... Try to open, or download the PDF on this quickoffice page. The PDF is under article options on the right hand side of the page.

Quickoffice - Support Center
    For some reason the PDF file from the link you provided doesn't work. I just googled a random phrase "commodity s&p 500" and downloaded the first PDF I saw and it worked just fine. It opened in Adobe Reader. I will try to do the same with a word or excel file and reply back.
    I am, therefore I think
    littlelulu257 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    For some reason the PDF file from the link you provided doesn't work. I just googled a random phrase "commodity s&p 500" and downloaded the first PDF I saw and it worked just fine. It opened in Adobe Reader. I will try to do the same with a word or excel file and reply back.
    I have recently encountered a couple that do work but some still don't. When I use my desktop they download fine and I can upload them to box then download to my TP without problems. I don't understand the difference but I am willing to bet when a new browser is released it will fix the problem.
    Let's hope so. I would like more browser options, like Opera, Firefox and Chrome.
    I am, therefore I think
    > I would like more browser options, like Opera, Firefox and Chrome.

You might want to got to how can i use firefox on my new HP Touchpad? | Firefox Support Forum | Firefox Help and hit the "I have this problem, too!" button to voice your request for Firefox. (Currently, 110 people so far.)

Mozilla had a build of Firefox for the Palm Pre, but the developer has moved to other projects. Perhaps with sufficient interest they might reassign some effort to the task.