Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm having a strange problem.

No matter what kernel I run and no matter what settings I choose in Govnah, my CPU 2 Frequency drops to 0 and barely moves at all.

If I go into the Govnah settings and put it on performance and max out the min/max settings, both CPUs will run full speed until I minimize the card. As soon as I push the card out of the way and load something else, CPU 2 will drop to 0 and will not come back up until I change the profile.

Then again both CPUs will max out as long as Govnah is running in the foreground. The minute I swipe up to minimize the card CPU 2 drops back to 0.

I've uninstalled Eagle and put on the factory kernel and had the same problem. Same problem with Uberkernal and Warthog. Did I do something to break my touchpad or is it just a bug in Govnah?
    This is a power saving feature in the Snapdragon processor and the TP programming. The 2nd core will shut down if its not required. Govnah measures CPU usage and this measuring will generate activity in the 2nd processor. Most activities i.e web browsing don't require two active cores.
  3.    #3  
    Here's a video showing exactly what it's doing.

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
    This is a power saving feature in the Snapdragon processor and the TP programming. The 2nd core will shut down if its not required. Govnah measures CPU usage and this measuring will generate activity in the 2nd processor. Most activities i.e web browsing don't require two active cores.
    So even when you set Govnah to performance mode, the 2nd core will drop down to 0 when switching out of Govnah? I've launched a few different cards, streamed a video in the browser in the background while playing Aftermath XHD in another card. Core 2 barely bounced out of the 0 MHz range.
    it's not a bug, it's a feature

the 2nd core fires on and off so rapidly that govnah isn't picking it up

you don't need two cores maxed out for everything. that would crush battery life. as proven by unix psycho

give it up already please, not trying to flame or start any wars but it's getting kind of old quickly

if you don't believe me that the 2nd core isn't running, please go check out the f15 thread, where you can find out how to run tests yourself to check cpu usage in linux
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

kkhanmd likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Snapdragon is asymmetric --- each of the cores can operate at different voltages and different frequencies.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

you don't need two cores maxed out for everything. that would crush battery life. as proven by unix psycho

give it up already please, not trying to flame or start any wars but it's getting kind of old quickly

if you don't believe me that the 2nd core isn't running, please go check out the f15 thread, where you can find out how to run tests yourself to check cpu usage in linux
    ^THIS
    There are literally thousands of brand new TouchPad users. Questions like this will crop up again and again. If you're this angry already ...
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    part of the RULES of participating in ALPHA testing is reading the associated threads, completely , and had you read them, you wouldn't be asking

just sayin'

not angry but it states pretty clearly here

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds
    fxspec06 likes this.
  10.    #10  

Thanks for explaining it. Still find it weird how govnah shows the 2nd cpu at max for as long as you keep govnah running in the foreground but then shows it at 0 as soon as you launch a new app. But oh well, it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    part of the RULES of participating in ALPHA testing is reading the associated threads, completely , and had you read them, you wouldn't be asking

just sayin'

not angry but it states pretty clearly here

Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Oh noes did I break rules by asking a question on a message forum for people to ask questions? Oh daddy please spank me for being naughty. I didn't realize running the stock kernel was using testing feeds!!!
    untitled likes this.
    answered my question and gained some knowledge. Thanks for the thread.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Tap on the 2nd core reading in Govnah and you will see a graph displaying it's ran frequencies. Occasionally it will spike out at 1.5 (or whatever your kernel is set to) and then drop back down when it's not needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandurz View Post
    Thanks for explaining it. Still find it weird how govnah shows the 2nd cpu at max for as long as you keep govnah running in the foreground but then shows it at 0 as soon as you launch a new app. But oh well, it is what it is.

Oh noes did I break rules by asking a question on a message forum for people to ask questions? Oh daddy please spank me for being naughty. I didn't realize running the stock kernel was using testing feeds!!!
    gear down. My mistake, as I thought I saw something about f15. I wasn't being rude. I expect the same.

generally most people put govnah on when they overclock, so my apologies for assuming....now moving along.
    my cpu2 isn't reporting anything either. Over the last week I could go back and forth between govnah and a bunch of cards to find CPU1 and CPU2 going all over the place. Now nothing I do will make CPU2 dance, at all.

six cards, one of which is streaming video, other music, nothing out of cpu 2
    Last edited by sixfootsix; 08/27/2011 at 12:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sixfootsix View Post
    my cpu2 isn't reporting anything either. Over the last week I could go back and forth between govnah and a bunch of cards to find CPU1 and CPU2 going all over the place. Now nothing I do will make CPU2 dance, at all.

six cards, one of which is streaming video, other music, nothing out of cpu 2
    Even though the experts up there are correct that Core2 usage is usually at zero by design, you might be one of the few people with an actual broken Govnah program like myself. Even with polling set to 1-second and pounding on my Touchpad with videos and a dozen other things, Core2 would NEVER show usage even for a second.

You can still check for actual usage in that F15c/linux thread but if you just want to fix your Govnah, you can try this. It immediately resolved my issue and while Core2 is usually still at 0, it will show usage at times.

-Delete any custom Govnah profiles you created (left or ride swipe brings up DELETE)
    -Uninstall Govnah
    -Reboot device
    -Reinstall Govnah
    Quote Originally Posted by morydees View Post
    Even though the experts up there are correct that Core2 usage is usually at zero by design, you might be one of the few people with an actual broken Govnah program like myself. Even with polling set to 1-second and pounding on my Touchpad with videos and a dozen other things, Core2 would NEVER show usage even for a second.

You can still check for actual usage in that F15c/linux thread but if you just want to fix your Govnah, you can try this. It immediately resolved my issue and while Core2 is usually still at 0, it will show usage at times.

-Delete any custom Govnah profiles you created (left or ride swipe brings up DELETE)
    -Uninstall Govnah
    -Reboot device
    -Reinstall Govnah
    Thanks for your help. This fixed the problem BUT after a couple of profile changes CPU2 goes stagnant once again. I've done this about 4 times now.
    I'm also getting this error message when I try to apply settings:

Unable to open /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

This sucks.
    have 2 TP side by side and used one to OC and other Stock. Both cores working on the tweaked on and its fast.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitie View Post
    have 2 TP side by side and used one to OC and other Stock. Both cores working on the tweaked on and its fast.

What the heck! We're running identical software, Govnah 1.0.5 and F15C-42 - I've done this uninstall reboot install BS like 10 times now (even uninstalled and reinstalled F15C) and I still can't get the second CPU to fire.
    had both cores running for over a week no issues. BUT as soon as I try to apply any advanced settings....VOILA, 2nd core shuts down. What. The. Eff? Is this an F15 issue or does it have to do with Gonna.

installed the Palm default kernel, went to town in advanced settings and everything works fine, no error message and 2nd core stays on
    Last edited by sixfootsix; 09/03/2011 at 11:36 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast