Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well? I'm curious.
  2.    #2  
    anybody have a ballpark?
  3. yankeeken's Avatar
    Posts
    12 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #3  
    I don't think anyone on these forums knows at this point.
  4. #4  
    We can only guess, but perhaps we can make a ballpark guess.

    Just prior to HP's announcement, there was a well publicized press report stating that Best Buy had received 250,000 Touchpads, with only 25,000 having been sold. If true, the vast majority of those 1/4 million are now in the hands of consumers.

    There have also been press reports that HP sold 350,000 in the first 24 hours of the firesale. Though it is unclear is these reports are referring to all Touchpads sold by all vendors, or just those sold though HP's web sites.

    Either way, I think it's fair to say that at a minimum, there will shortly be 500,000 to 1 million Touchpads in the hands of consumers. Given that HP has stated that they are still building units in their factory from available parts, by the time the Touchpad is truly sold out, the number of users could easily be more than a million, perhaps twice that number.
  5. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #5  
    well if you go by just the best buy rumors they initially sold 25,000 and had another 250,000 in the warehouse IIRC. When the firesale occurred they burned through local stock pretty quickly, maybe another 25k. One could assume that they've restocked local stores at least twice now, so that's another 40-50k maybe. We might be safe to say BestBuy alone has sold 100k. If all the other retailers combined sold 25k, then online retailers sold 25k, and then they had similar restocking you could be looking at 200-250,000 units in play.

    That's assuming a lot though. We don't know if BestBuy is still restocking from their own warehouse or from HP channels. We don't know HP's own online sales numbers except to know that they were overwhelmed. They may have expected to sell 400-450k units per quarter total, 150k units a month. By the way that they are behaving as well as their channel partners I would say we've probably broken their models. Especially if we bought the supply they expected to last a month or more in just one week.

    PC Mag is saying 350,000 units during the first wave of sell offs and probably half a million total by the second round.
    Last edited by nhavar; 08/26/2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added info
  6.    #6  
    Good answers guys. Thanks.
  7. #7  
    Does it really matter...just saying
  8. #8  
    The way I see it, once this is over, HP should release number of units sold so that we
    and most importantly devs know what they are targeting.

    a few million users would be a nice base and much more than webOS would have had other wise. Now that people know about it, its ready to be licensed out. In my opinion at least.
  9. Bryan_'s Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eightythree View Post
    Does it really matter...just saying
    I think that people are trying to gauge whether the installed base will be large enough to draw consistent support from app developers as well as continued updates from HP.
  10. cashmonee's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan_ View Post
    I think that people are trying to gauge whether the installed base will be large enough to draw consistent support from app developers as well as continued updates from HP.
    Even if they sold 2 or 3 million of these things, that still wouldn't draw support. The problem is whatever the number ends up being, it will never increase. Android and iOS numbers will continue to grow while WebOS will be frozen. I think it's foolish to believe there is any hope of WebOS continuing in it's current form. HP doesn't want it and they can't seem to find anyone to take it.

    It's a shame, because as I have said, the TP has a lot of unrealized potential, but the end is near.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashmonee View Post
    Even if they sold 2 or 3 million of these things, that still wouldn't draw support. The problem is whatever the number ends up being, it will never increase. Android and iOS numbers will continue to grow while WebOS will be frozen. I think it's foolish to believe there is any hope of WebOS continuing in it's current form. HP doesn't want it and they can't seem to find anyone to take it.

    It's a shame, because as I have said, the TP has a lot of unrealized potential, but the end is near.
    Harsh words in support of a proposition that hasn't been proven. The only thing you can say for certain is that the future is UNcertain. HP may not be making new hardware but this doesn't stop them from licensing the OS to another manufacturer-- a step that they've publicly stated that they are pursuing.
  12. #12  
    The 'fire sale' has created quite a dilemma for the future of webOS and HP. If figures are correct, there will be almost about a million touchpads sold. Thats a huge number and HP will undoubtedly want a good amount for anyone to license/buy webOS because they would inherit such a large following which adds value. Unfortunately, no more touchpads being made undermines and decreases the value . The only way there is fair value in webOS is to also manufacture the touchpads and thats unlikely unless you are either a company willing to scrap your own existing tablet and buy into an established line or you're an aggressive company looking to get into an already crowded tablet market where apple awaits your failure and hovers above like a vulture waiting for a body to drop.
    Last edited by jus2bhere; 08/27/2011 at 03:54 AM. Reason: incomplete sentance
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Harsh words in support of a proposition that hasn't been proven. The only thing you can say for certain is that the future is UNcertain. HP may not be making new hardware but this doesn't stop them from licensing the OS to another manufacturer-- a step that they've publicly stated that they are pursuing.
    Harsh words are the best one to paint current state of webOS. Of course there is still hope for webOS, but licensing or this new hardware partnering assumes both parties share same commitment, passion and vision for webOS devices. Problem is that HP alone haven't shown enough passion or vision or commitment to webOS.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Harsh words are the best one to paint current state of webOS. Of course there is still hope for webOS, but licensing or this new hardware partnering assumes both parties share same commitment, passion and vision for webOS devices. Problem is that HP alone haven't shown enough passion or vision or commitment to webOS.
    I disagree. WebOS isn't dead. They will license the OS to device makers such as Samsung and HTC. The variable in all this is the price point. Although 99 and 150 is too cheap, they have to find out the right price point to move equipment. HP has already acknowledged that they will continue to support and update WebOS. Time will tell, but WebOS is a good platform and is unique enough to enable tablet makers to differentiate themselves rather than everyone just making Android tablets with their own overlays. Just my $.02.
  15. #15  
    I'm not saying webOS is dead. I'm just saying to be able to develop OS you need
    vision
    commitment
    passion
    Please, can you relate current owner of webOS with any of this?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I'm not saying webOS is dead. I'm just saying to be able to develop OS you need
    vision
    commitment
    passion
    Please, can you relate current owner of webOS with any of this?
    And, most importantly, many WebOS users willing to purchase their apps for the developers to make money... which, due to this firesale, they now have. Hopefully, those numbers continue to grow.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    well if you go by just the best buy rumors they initially sold 25,000 and had another 250,000 in the warehouse IIRC. When the firesale occurred they burned through local stock pretty quickly, maybe another 25k. One could assume that they've restocked local stores at least twice now, so that's another 40-50k maybe. We might be safe to say BestBuy alone has sold 100k. If all the other retailers combined sold 25k, then online retailers sold 25k, and then they had similar restocking you could be looking at 200-250,000 units in play.

    That's assuming a lot though. We don't know if BestBuy is still restocking from their own warehouse or from HP channels. We don't know HP's own online sales numbers except to know that they were overwhelmed. They may have expected to sell 400-450k units per quarter total, 150k units a month. By the way that they are behaving as well as their channel partners I would say we've probably broken their models. Especially if we bought the supply they expected to last a month or more in just one week.

    PC Mag is saying 350,000 units during the first wave of sell offs and probably half a million total by the second round.
    What about accessories? I can't find the Charging Dock anywhere online!
  18. #18  
    We can wishfully assume > 1 million user base, but keep in mind that a million sold does not mean a million consistent users, out of which, how many will actually spend some money for apps to keep developers going.

    I'm in line at best buy as I type this, trying to get my first one (got here at 5:45am). Some of these ppl in line have no idea what webos is and what they'll actually use the tablet for. They're just in it for the thrill of the sale and the only reason why they are buying this is because it's $99.

    I'm in the boat too, wishing for webOS to continue and actually succeed for a change.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    We can wishfully assume > 1 million user base, but keep in mind that a million sold does not mean a million consistent users, out of which, how many will actually spend some money for apps to keep developers going.

    I'm in line at best buy as I type this, trying to get my first one (got here at 5:45am). Some of these ppl in line have no idea what webos is and what they'll actually use the tablet for. They're just in it for the thrill of the sale and the only reason why they are buying this is because it's $99.

    I'm in the boat too, wishing for webOS to continue and actually succeed for a change.
    I didn't know BB was still getting them. I thought they sent some back to HP!
  20. #20  
    for those of us that haven't gotten one, the real question is - are there any left. And I am increasingly thinking that there isn't much left unsold.
    tinknock71 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions