Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Harsh words in support of a proposition that hasn't been proven. The only thing you can say for certain is that the future is UNcertain. HP may not be making new hardware but this doesn't stop them from licensing the OS to another manufacturer-- a step that they've publicly stated that they are pursuing.
    Perhaps I am being harsh, but look at the numbers. As of WWDC (June 6) there were 200 million iOS devices, 25 million of which were iPads. About the same time Google announced 100 million android devices. Those numbers are obviously larger at this point, nearly 3 months removed. Now granted, Android tablets probably accounted for under 2 million of those devices at the time, and likely not much more than that now, but that's not the point. The point is developing for one of those platforms opens you to 100-200 times as many devices as there are firesale devices.

Taking into account the pure numbers and the fact that the two most likely suitors have said they don't want WebOS and the future looks rather bleak. WebOS already had a problem attracting development, and at this point I don't see how that gets any better. And I wouldn't depend on hp doing too much at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    ...but licensing or this new hardware partnering assumes...
    Acacia actually owns the basic Palm patents. Acacia is licensing the Palm patents to Samsung, Microsoft, Nokia, Apple, etc. HP has a license to use the Palm patents too but as yet no license to sublicense.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/27/2011 at 02:05 PM.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    safe to say half a million. Which probably makes it the second to iPad in no of units sold.

oops, ASUS Transformer sold a million.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Acacia actually owns the basic Palm patents. Acacia is licensing the Palm patents to Samsung, Microsoft, Nokia, Apple, etc. HP has a license to use the Palm patents too but as yet no license to sublicense.
    Again, what do you consider the basic Palm patents? Most of what happened in smartphones occurred after Palm split into PalmOne and PalmSource. Acacia bought patents from Access, who bought PalmSource. In other words, they likely have absolutely nothing that is smartphone related, and more just stuff that is user-interface related.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Again, what do you consider the basic Palm patents?...
    Acacia says that "...we basically control the software, and H-P controls the hardware..."

The hardware makers believe this enough that they are licensing from Acacia, not Palm.

Everyone has sued everyone else. Companies have an obligation to their stockholders to legally protect their assets.

Can you find time in the past few years that Palm has taken legal action to protect their intellectual property? Why not?

Because HP owns the webOS house that is built on Acacia's land.

Remember how stunned we were when BlackBerry basically took the entire webOS experience? RIM had licensed the Palm patents from Acacia.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/03/2011 at 11:23 AM.
    As I said in the other thread, Acacia is a patent troll. Of course they say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As I said in the other thread, Acacia is a patent troll. Of course they say that.
    Agreed. But why are Microsoft, Samsung, LG, Apple and all the rest licensing Palm patents from Acacia?

Why hasn't anyone licensed from Palm instead?

I can only think of one reason...
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 09/03/2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Yeah, I saw your thread about this. When we thought things can't become more depressing Acacia stepped in

Back to thread... I hope that some substantial amount remained for second firesale.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12