Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Firstly, an apology. As a firesaler, this forum has been a huge help in getting my new TouchPad running like a million bucks. Thank you to everyone who has been contributing useful information and creating incredible homebrew apps/patches/etc. With that said, I'm sorry that I am now essentially asking for help without contributing anything. As I learn, however, I will make the effort to pay the knowledge I've gained forward and, who knows,min time perhaps I'll have something wholly new to bring to this community.

But I digress. My experience is surpassing the $100 investment, but I am having one bothersome problem that I'm hoping someone will be able to expound on. In short, some YouTube videos play fine from the browser, some don't. Those that don't are popping up in a separate video player, sitting on the rotating loading icon, and then displaying a message stating "there was an error playing the file." For reference, I did a quick browse for an example:

Is everyone else having the same problem? Any fix? In contrast, here's one that works fine for me:

A workaround can be performed by logging into m.youtube.com. (the mobile site) Every video seems to work, but it's all extremely low resolution.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    Both worked fine on my TouchPad as with all of the you tube videos so far.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    have you updated to the latest software version?
    I used to believe in HP
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat. I see no rhyme or reason as to which videos play in the browser and which get launched into the external player. The external player never plays anything, it eventually just returns an error. Kind of annoying.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    ^ Looks like it's not just me, then.

Quote Originally Posted by sj4231 View Post
    have you updated to the latest software version?
    3.0.2?

I also restored the unit to fully stock (no patches/kernels/etc) in case this was having an effect. No dice.

...and brainstorm...

I just tried the one I purchased for my fiancee. Works fine with everything. :\ It's also worth noting that I did some patching/overclocking to hers as well. I'm not sure what the deal is then. When I restored it, I did it through the info setting. Is there a different way to do it? (hold down this button, that button, etc.) we have the same model and same hardware according to our device info screens.
    Having the exact same problem. Updated to the latest patch and no luck.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    ...well that was a bit silly.

Cleared my cache and cookies. Now everything's working fine!

To bejoykr and shafnitz, try it and report back please. Perhaps this is an intermittent issue with the TP's browser and it requires one clear either cookies or cache (or both) periodically.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Haha. Guess I should have thought of that, too. I just wiped my TP and was going to try and track down what exactly I installed that caused it. Oops. Thanks for the heads up. Next time it happens, I'll definitely give that shot first.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shafnitz View Post
    Haha. Guess I should have thought of that, too. I just wiped my TP and was going to try and track down what exactly I installed that caused it. Oops. Thanks for the heads up. Next time it happens, I'll definitely give that shot first.
    The weird thing is that I reset mine to factory (again, via the info application under settings... no idea if there's a different way to do it) and running a similar video test as soon as it was up and running again yielded the same results. The fortunate thing is that this thing is so easily "rooted" that getting all of the patches/etc. back in place is a snap after you've already done it once. Heck, I'm confident that one would be able to turn off logging, root, patch, overclock, and do the Hulu terminal trick within a span of about five minutes. A fantastically open and easy to work with device to be sure.

With no more discernible hiccups in flash functionality, I'm a happy camper! I really wish that HP marketed the TouchPad better, didn't gimp it with the excessive background logging, and priced it more competitively out of the gates because it truly is a nice device that deserved to succeed. As a matter of fact, I'd take it over any other tablet currently on the market save for the iPad. Still, it is hurt by a rather paltry market, but a homebrew Android emulator would solve that issue and then some.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bejoykr View Post
    Having the exact same problem. Updated to the latest patch and no luck.
    Any luck with clearing cache and cookies? shafnitz... anything?
    I was having this problem and talked to tech support about it. They told me to go to Device Information and click "Reset Options" at the bottom of the page. This will take you to a new page where you'll click on "Restart." After doing this over a week ago, I haven't had trouble playing any YouTube videos since. Tech support said this is different than just using the power button to restart the TP.
    not sure if anyone is still getting this problem but I (briefly) had the same issue and it was down to me enabling html5 videos on YouTube at youtube.com/html5.

html5 video seemed to open in a separate app on the touchpad and never actually played. Videos that contain adverts aren't html5 compatible yet so open in standard flash and work.

just posting in case someone else hits this.
    Yep it works now....

Thanks all...