1.    #1  
    I got the Touchpad 2 days ago and it had been charging fine up until this evening. I am using the charger that came with the touchpad. I have tried to reboot the device as well but that does not help either. When I connect it to the laptop using the USB, the laptop complains that the device is not recognized (I installed preware using this same laptop). Also touchpad complains that the "Device May Not Charge" as the touchpad is connected to a source that provides less than suggested voltage or current. I have tried using a different micro-usb cable and that does not help either.

I haven't been able to run webOS doctor as the computer just won't recognize the touchpad. Not sure what options I have anymore. I only have 49% battery left.
    Perform full restore?
  3.    #3  
    I haven't tried that option. Without sending to n00b, how do I perform the full restore?

So what option do I choose?

Erase Apps & Data
    Erase USB Drive
    Full Erase
    Secure Full Erase
    mine went out it wont do any any wont power on its dead
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TR6vs911T View Post
    This is troublesome. With no return options we are left with no options.

I wonder if I should buy the squaretrade for this for 54.99 as I have an invoice of 499 from staples. and once its dead i can get another tablet that maybe has better life.
    Quote Originally Posted by iridium View Post
    I got the Touchpad 2 days ago and it had been charging fine up until this evening. I am using the charger that came with the touchpad. I have tried to reboot the device as well but that does not help either. When I connect it to the laptop using the USB, the laptop complains that the device is not recognized (I installed preware using this same laptop). Also touchpad complains that the "Device May Not Charge" as the touchpad is connected to a source that provides less than suggested voltage or current. I have tried using a different micro-usb cable and that does not help either.

I haven't been able to run webOS doctor as the computer just won't recognize the touchpad. Not sure what options I have anymore. I only have 49% battery left.
    One possibility is that the cable is fried. If you have another micro-usb cable lying around, you might want to try that and see if it fixes the problem. Since more and more devices are using the micro-USB standard, I tend to have a few around. If that's the problem and you need spares, I would recommend monoprice.com for inexpensive cables.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR6vs911T View Post
    Try a different cable and see if it at least charges.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    One possibility is that the cable is fried. If you have another micro-usb cable lying around, you might want to try that and see if it fixes the problem. Since more and more devices are using the micro-USB standard, I tend to have a few around. If that's the problem and you need spares, I would recommend monoprice.com for inexpensive cables.
    I have tried that. I tried charging my BB's (2 of them) with this micro usb cable and they were charging fine.
    Also, the end of the charger with the prongs on it twists off. Twist it off (counter-clockwise) and then back on (clockwise) to make sure it is on securely.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Also, the end of the charger with the prongs on it twists off. Twist it off (counter-clockwise) and then back on (clockwise) to make sure it is on securely.
    Yup tried that too. I am doing a full erase now. The HP logo is on the screen .. not sure when it will reboot.
  11.    #11  
    ok, it just booted up and still the same. No charging. its connected to the wall charger.

Edit: I removed it from the wall charger and connected to my USB on the computer and the charging light went up. I will leave this connected over night. Atleast get some charge on it before trying anything new.

Please suggest what else I can do to try to get this to charge again.
    If it's charging through the computer, then you must have a bum charger.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    If you have a shorter USB cable try it with your HP Charger, could be a resistance problem and the shorter cable with less resistance may trigger the Touchpad to charge.
    If this makes it charge you may either have a defective charger or the touchpad could have a calibration problem in it's charging circuitry.
    Last edited by troublekid; 08/26/2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: **Other thoughts**
  14.    #14  
    It just got to charge with the computer, it wasn't charging thru this till before I did a full erase. Once it charges completely I will remove and reconnect and see if it is still charging though the computer. Will update on the status in the morning.
    touchstone charging dock might work as a last resort. I don't know for sure though
    I just had the same problem happen to my new Touchpad ...

turns out my usb cable that came with the touchpad fried.
    It smelled burnt at the charger end.

I replaced the USB cable, but kept the 2.0A charger.
    It is now charging again.
    My cable was bad right out of the box too.
    yup my cable was bad too. worked on the initial charge, but that's it. HP is sending me another.
    Check the very end of the charger, where it plugs into the socket. The ends of the chargers are designed to screw off so it can be replaced with other prongs for other socket standards (EU vs USA). I thought mine was bad out of the box too but then realized that it was lose and needed a tightening/twist.
    Quote Originally Posted by iridium View Post
    This is troublesome. With no return options we are left with no options.

I wonder if I should buy the squaretrade for this for 54.99 as I have an invoice of 499 from staples. and once its dead i can get another tablet that maybe has better life.
    They do still have a full warranty you know... Call HP.