Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Should I or shouldn't I....

Install Uberkernel with Govnah speed enhancement.

What are the Pros and Cons?
    HP Touchpad 32GB , Treo 650, Treo 600
    webOS 3.0.4
    Well, I can only speak from my experience with my Pre minus. I've had webOS phone since it launched on June 6, 2009. I have had numerous overclocking kernels on it since they become available. I'm sure there's bound to be some reduction in battery life and the processor's life over the course of the device's lifetime, but I can tell you that day-to-day those overclocking kernels are the best thing that ever happened to webOS hardware.
    Overclocking is reasonably safe, I too have O'C my Pre for almost 2 years now. A while back we figured that O'C reduced the estimated life of the Pre's processor from 8 years down to 5 years and didn't seem like a big deal to me. It's your decision and as they state in big letters "installing this kernel may void your warranty, so use at your own risk".
    Whenever you overclocking something you shorten the length that the hardware will last. That is why companies will test products on stability and one of the reasons overclocking will void your warranty in some cases.
    I think overall, overclocking isn't going to cause your touchpad to a'splode but yes, it does shorten the hardware's expected life span ergo it does cause internal damage. Just keep an eye on the stats that govnah is giving you from time to time and if core temperature or battery output levels make you uncomfortable, just revert back.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I too have been interested in overclocking, but I've only done the patches with preware. I can honestly say that I've seen an improvement with speed and snapiness using the recommended patch updates. I'm truly impressed with just the patches for now. If later down the line I feel the for need more speed and want to upgrade, then I'll overclock. But for now the patches are great. It's nice to have preware and the options to overclock later. It's also nice to have the option to reverse the kernel if you're concerned about the life of the tablet. Anyway, I just wanted to give my two cents (from a non-overclocked user), if you haven't done the patches, do so, it's almost a must. Then, if you feel like you need more speed, do the kernel. I for one am truly happy with the webOS, the patches, the devs, and last but not least the forum and the members. Enjoy the TP!
    Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Have Preware already and all the available hacks/tweaks. It is wonderful. I used the stock Touchpad for a few days before I had Preware. So I really appreciate the tweaks and know the difference with and without them.

Just curious about the overclocking.
    HP Touchpad 32GB , Treo 650, Treo 600
    webOS 3.0.4
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    just do it, lol
    Speaking as a PC overclocker (CPU, video card) and hardware hacker (DVDR/W, multiple routers), yes, overclocking can potentially shorten the life of your device, primarily from generating more heat. Now, this liklihood is statistical, not guaranteed. As an earlier poster stated, they estimated a device's lifespan dropped from 8 to 5 years. Will you keep this pad in use for that long? I doubt it. I change over my primary PC's every 3-ish years, so I don't worry about overclocking. I have old P4's (2) a Pentium D and a 5 year-old HP rack server that I use as servers and test machines and they keep on humming, some 7-8 years or more, with most of those under continuous use.

My only concern is that at this point we can't get the temperature reading on the Snapdragon processor, only the battery's temp. I'd prefer to know the safe temperature threshold for the CPU and then be able to monitor its temperature under load. At the moment I use the battery temperature as my guide. I can tell you that with the CPU overclocked to over 1.8GHz and with the TouchPad case on and with the battery charging, the battery can warm up to 35C, up from 28-29C normally. The TP's case isn't that warm, so I'm not at all concerned about temperature and possible detrimental effects to the unit. Having driven CPU's to temperatures to 100C+, these temps aren't worth writing home about.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc83 View Post
    just do it, lol
    word.

Overclocking is worth it. It actually makes the touchpad pretty responsive compared to its sluggishness out of the box!
    The Uberkernel for the TouchPad only bumps the specs up from 1.2 GHz to 1.5 GHz so it's pretty safe, plus the advertised specs for this chip is 1.5 GHz.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    It's very unlikely that you'd do any damage, especially if you keep it at 1.5GHz, since this is a valid bin for this part. The 1.2GHz parts may not run at 1.5GHz over all temperature and voltage corners, but should be ok at room temp or colder. The worse that would happen is you'd have instability, resulting in random crashes. Even 1.7GHz is unlikely to generate enough heat to cause any long term effects, but is more likely to be unstable.

I"m a senior EE and I am running Uberkernel and Govnah at 1.5GHz...
    Not trying to hijack the thread but I just installed Uberkernel and ran govnah, but it shows 192mhz on cpu1 and 0mhz on cpu2 ... my profile is set on "Ondemand 1512" and there is one more profile "Palm Default". Is it supposed to be 192mhz?? what am i doing wrong? im a complete n00b
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhainc View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread but I just installed Uberkernel and ran govnah, but it shows 192mhz on cpu1 and 0mhz on cpu2 ... my profile is set on "Ondemand 1512" and there is one more profile "Palm Default". Is it supposed to be 192mhz?? what am i doing wrong? im a complete n00b
    your fine. the processor scales up and down depending on the load which it is handling. i don't think the ondemand 1512 option would show up if it wasn't installed properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    your fine. the processor scales up and down depending on the load which it is handling. i don't think the ondemand 1512 option would show up if it wasn't installed properly.
    Such a relief! Thanks a lot!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hakhainc View Post
    Sooo...why not start a new thread? No harm, no foul if you do, and others with the same question will see your question and the responses. This behaviour leads to a healthier community and is considered proper "netiquette".
    Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
    Sooo...why not start a new thread? No harm, no foul if you do, and others with the same question will see your question and the responses. This behaviour leads to a healthier community and is considered proper "netiquette".
    Sorry abt that ... you're right .. i'll create new thread from next time.
    :-)
    I want feedback from a pro or a dev.

Which I/O Scheduler is the best?
    the devs like psycho have been over clocking for a long time with pre ,Pixi etc and they would have mention if they had problems and they run really cutting edge compared to us.