Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ASprintGuy
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  • 1 Post By Maestro1
  • 2 Post By Sukiyaki
  1.    #1  
    First off, I've been on this forum (and treo central before that) since the pre- came out on Sprint, so I have a love for Palm and WebOS. I won't lie. But, I was skeptical of the touchpad when it came out. I figured I'd wait a bit for it to come down in price and almost jumped on the $299 staples deal at the beginning of the month. But a REALLY wanted a Pre3 (on Sprint), but I digress.

    I was fortunate to get a 32GB on Sunday morning at BestBuy (ordered online at 6a, picked up at noon, woohoo!) and today I got my touchstone in the mail (I have 3 of them for my pre-, so it was a must).

    I dropped my touchpad on the charger, switched it from the clock to pictures and Wow, Rob Whitby (WebOS Internals dude for the new folks) wasn't kidding that you could get a $99 touchpad as a good digital photo frame. All my facebook pictures, any pictures I've added to the touchpad, all of a sudden are scrolling on my desk. Very nice.

    My point on HP is, why didn't they do some simple Apple-like commercials showing someone reading email, then switching over to a flash based website, then show a calendar notification pop up at the top of the screen about an appointment to run to (without messing up their flash experience) and finally the person puts the touchpad on their touchstone as they leave the room and it starts working as a digital photo frame. That would sell (maybe not at $499, but it makes more sense than the touchpad replacing peoples faces)!

    I sure hope HP is able to find more inventory for all the people looking for them and they truly intend to find someone else to continue making hardware. I really love WebOS.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  2. #2  
    i agree they should have done a 'cool' apple-style commercial showcasing the multitasking and cards in an elegant fashion. unfortunately they hired russell brand and some other crappy celebs to promote it (whether they promoted it to full effect is doubtful).
  3. #3  
    because when you copy the best, you should hire better copiers. If the TouchPad had been $199 to begin with then maybe it would have a chance...

    the bigger problem is things like customer service. After this touchpad was bricked, it took hours of customer service talking to someone in India who wasnt very nice. Anytime I've dealt with AppleGate, they've been super friendly and efficient.

    the little things matter.
  4. #4  
    No pre launch commercials, soft launch and limited commercials after launch that were not much better than the "creepy girl commercials". Before and during the launch of the ipad every other commercial on every station on cable/sat TV was an ipad commercial and they kept the media blitz up throughout the year and people wonder why Apples launches were so much more successful than HP's, guess it's like comparing apples to lemons.
    opticalserenity likes this.
  5.    #5  
    And every apple commercial was just showing off 3rd party apps... along with the phone app every once in a while.

    I completely agree that the 'soft launch' was really, really lame.
    Former Sprint Treo 700p Owner, now Sprint Palm Pre- and HP Touchpad Owner.
  6. #6  
    What is even worse is some company could easily take advantage of the current "gotta have it" mentality of the touchpad (they ARE selling like crazy on Ebay for 200-300). Produce a scaled down version of the touchpad that could still be profitable at $250 (I think they called that Opal). I can almost guarantee there have been companies inquiring HP about this. In today's economy especially, you'd have to be a fool not to see a good thing and act on it. Someone could really do well right now with webOS. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some Chinese company right now was designing a tablet that will be marketed as "just like that $99 touchpad you guys were so nutts about"
  7. John566's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #7  
    It is almost like they didn't care. It is so close to being amazing. I'd take a polished WebOS over Honeycomb or iOS any day. Sad.
  8. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ASprintGuy View Post
    First off, I've been on this forum (and treo central before that) since the pre- came out on Sprint, so I have a love for Palm and WebOS. I won't lie. But, I was skeptical of the touchpad when it came out. I figured I'd wait a bit for it to come down in price and almost jumped on the $299 staples deal at the beginning of the month. But a REALLY wanted a Pre3 (on Sprint), but I digress.

    I was fortunate to get a 32GB on Sunday morning at BestBuy (ordered online at 6a, picked up at noon, woohoo!) and today I got my touchstone in the mail (I have 3 of them for my pre-, so it was a must).

    I dropped my touchpad on the charger, switched it from the clock to pictures and Wow, Rob Whitby (WebOS Internals dude for the new folks) wasn't kidding that you could get a $99 touchpad as a good digital photo frame. All my facebook pictures, any pictures I've added to the touchpad, all of a sudden are scrolling on my desk. Very nice.

    My point on HP is, why didn't they do some simple Apple-like commercials showing someone reading email, then switching over to a flash based website, then show a calendar notification pop up at the top of the screen about an appointment to run to (without messing up their flash experience) and finally the person puts the touchpad on their touchstone as they leave the room and it starts working as a digital photo frame. That would sell (maybe not at $499, but it makes more sense than the touchpad replacing peoples faces)!

    I sure hope HP is able to find more inventory for all the people looking for them and they truly intend to find someone else to continue making hardware. I really love WebOS.
    HP had a crappy CEO, fired him
    then natually being a big HARDWARE company
    Hired a CEO who hates hardware and has experience in only software

    so he wastes billions to convert the company to software only

    WHAT THE HECK is the board thinking hiring this *****?

    HP deserves to fail
  9. #9  
    i think any commercial would hAve been better than the one I saw all the time with the chick from glee, singing "let me entertain you"
    danimal62 likes this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    i think any commercial would hAve been better than the one I saw all the time with the chick from glee, singing "let me entertain you"
    Awww I liked that commercial. I like the song. Whenever it came on, I stopped to watch it. Maybe it's a girly thing.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    ananniia and e-gadget-guy like this.
  11. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #11  
    Out of all the commercials, I like the one with the girl from icarly with the veer the most. It was targetting the right demographics for the veer.

    I hated the Russell Brand commercials --- billionaire Arthur (drunken if you like the original Dudley Moore movie) selling touchpads to big enterprises.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    i think any commercial would hAve been better than the one I saw all the time with the chick from glee, singing "let me entertain you"
    That was by far the best webOS commercial ever aired. It was probably the only one that I'd say was "good."
  13. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    That was by far the best webOS commercial ever aired. It was probably the only one that I'd say was "good."
    I never got the Boxer............. it was crap IMHO

    The commercials came too late.
  14. ananniia's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #14  
    I liked the one with the girl from glee, I thought it was the best. The one with the boxer, you could barely understand him.
  15. #15  
    Advertising aside, no non-Apple company has succeeded to convince the general public that they need a tablet. Apple has somehow managed to get a whole lot of people asking "I want an iPad, what can I do with it?" HP has only recently got that type of response with the fire sell price. But the reason for getting a Touchpad is, sadly not because people actually want it; rather, people just like a good deal.

    As another Sprint Pre owner, I was excited about the Touchpad when it launched. But then I headed to Bestbuy to try it out, and the "heavier then iPad 1" weight doesn't feel good at all. And most of all, the plastic case felt just as cheep, or even worse, then the original non-touchstone Palm Pre back. It felt, to me, like a great OS trapped inside the hardware that's just marginally better then those crapo tablets sold at drugstores. No way am I going to pay full price for this grade of build quality since we all know that we can get an iPad 1 for a lower price, and the iPad 1 felt like a premium product with it's aluminum casing. I do agree that iOS feels very annoying in many ways when compared to my Palm Pre, but the hardware is fantastic. It was after that try out at BestBuy that I decided that I should skip the Touchpad and just wait for the Pre3. Little would I know that I would end up getting a Touchpad on fire sell, while having no where to get a Pre3.

    So my point is, even if HP did their best in advertising, the build quality of the Touchpad would still be a major turn off for many people.

    By the way, who else here agrees that the Touchpad accessories all have better build quality then the Touchpad it self? The Touchstone is such a great stand that I think it would sell well if they also made a non-charging model for other tablets. Even the Touchpad Bluetooth keyboard is of very high quality.
    Last edited by intellidryad; 08/26/2011 at 11:41 PM.

Posting Permissions