Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Is there a way to download YouTube videos onto the touchpad? I used to be able to do it on my palm pre with the patch, but I can't figure out how to now.

Thanks
    extract the patched app from your phone and install it on your touchpad. That's what I did. Won't play videos (I *may* look into that one), but it will download them. :-) I know this may not sound like a helpful answer right off the bat, but it can be done.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/26/2011 at 07:30 PM.
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    Wow! It was as easy as I hoped -- easier than I thought it would be. I just changed appinfo.json so it would run full screen and now the video plays perfectly! The rest of the UI looks pretty crappy, but it works. I will try to sit down and write up a how-to for this tonight. I will probably use this pretty often, as it seems to buffer the video much better than it does playing through Flash in the browser.

Edit - one detail I keep forgetting about - I will need to patch a back button onto the video window so you can back up after watching a video. Not sure how I can distribute a patch for an app that isn't part of the device.. I haven't followed the 3rd party app patch threads that have been occurring recently.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/26/2011 at 08:31 PM.
    Ugh, okay, good news and bad news. The video window is not part of the app -- it is a shared component in the OS, so a patch should be possible for this. I just have to root around and find the file that it is in.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Please let us know when you got it.
    Thanks Grabber appreciate you guys.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I am looking for a solution to be able to download YouTube videos to my TP and be able to play them on the TP. Any standalone apps for doing it?
    A patch would be excellent for my daughter! Let me know where to donate.
    I am running into some problems. I found the file I need to patch (and two redundant copies, and I modified all three to try to determine which was actually being used), but no matter what I do, none of the changes I have made are having any effect on the page. Patching the app itself works no problem, but this framework file is giving me some fits. If any patch writers have any suggestions, let me know. I'm gong to be on IRC later asking webosinternals since they are more familiar with the low-level bits of the OS.

The app is working okay as-is, but having to throw away the card every time I'm done watching a video is annoying.
    pctung and dangtd like this.
    I decided to throw caution to the wind and just try patching my Touchpad directly and quit fooling with the emulator. I finally got it working that way. For whatever reason, the emulator was refusing to load the modified copy of the framework file. I got it working as part of my quick and dirty test, so now I can work on making it look acceptable, and see what else is referencing this video library.
    Okay, video window is done. Just need to add back buttons to a couple more scenes in the Youtube app itself.
    dangtd likes this.
    Okay, I think I'm done with this. Now I just have to figure out how to write it up, and get some help making the patch file(s). I tried figuring it out once, but frankly, I just got lost in all of the reading. It is based on the Pre2 YouTube app with two patches: 'video downloads' and 'allow landscape'.
    kyleprettyman, khe05 and dangtd like this.
    Looking forward to it.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Grabber,

Thanks for your help in this. Its the guys like you who help make webOS more enjoyable. I am looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.
    Glad to do it. *Just glad someone else besides myself will get some enjoyment out of my work! :-)
    @Grabber5.0 any updates on your work? Would love to have a patch for this in my touchpad for offline viewing
    youtube downloading wud be awesome!
    I am done with the app, however, I have not created the patch files yet. I have been checking on how best to handle it all. Unfortunately, because the YouTube app is not open source and not available on the Touchpad, it is going to be more tricky. It is illegal to distribute the app, but as has already been done, it can be patched on a supported device.
    I'm in also. It would be awesome. Using the above post's method would work also but not as convenient.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast