Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowofbob View Post

The button just doesn't rest level with screen and instead it is at a bit of an angle and slightly recessed.

I'm debating if it is worth calling HP again to try to get it fixed (doubt they could without giving me a different touchpad) or just live with it and swipe.
    Same on my 32Gb TP. Button at the angle, easy to depress the screen to the left and right of the button.

If it really bugs you then probably worth calling. I'm on the fence about it myself.
    i have two 16gb models, both from the same retailer, serial numbers are...well i'm not sure what the significant portions of the serial number are, but they aren't vastly different.

one has a super flush and firm home button. the other has a loose, recesses and sort of angled stance.

i'm really not getting worked up about it. as long as it still functions for a while i am all set.

but i did notice this also, so i was not surpised this topic came up. i love how there are just so many active users at one time really inspecting these things so closely and sharing with each other about it.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t0byd0g1 View Post
    The button on my wife's TP is wobbly. I haven't mentioned it to her. After you use the swipe gesture, you don't use the button all that much.

I wish the button was like mine, but what is HP really going to do?
    Yes I noticed that on my recessed one too

I think its normal
    The button on my wife's TP is wobbly. I haven't mentioned it to her. After you use the swipe gesture, you don't use the button all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by t0byd0g1 View Post
    Yeah, at this point I am wondering the same thing. They must have some extra touchpads for warranty exchanges which right now is the only way to fix the problem IMO. Since I most likely got a new button when I sent mine in for repair I am leaning towards manufacturing tolerance issues. Not sure I'd want to risk getting other issues like a yellowish screen on the new one. Interesting that is seems to be largely happening on 32GB touchpads or maybe it is just that the users of the 32gb have an eye for details like that.
    My 32GB touchpad's button is also recessed and at an angle. I didn't even realize that it wasn't manufactured to be like this until I read this thread.
    I picked up 8 of these and ran, patched, updated them all before sending them on to friends and relatives I picked them up for. There's wild variance in almost every part (including screens). Some buttons were flush and snug. Others flush but rattling. Some not flush but snug. Others not flush and loose as well. Volume button had the same variances, some snug, some very loose. Etc. I'm not so sure QC was all that great with these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    I picked up 8 of these and ran, patched, updated them all before sending them on to friends and relatives I picked them up for. There's wild variance in almost every part (including screens). Some buttons were flush and snug. Others flush but rattling. Some not flush but snug. Others not flush and loose as well. Volume button had the same variances, some snug, some very loose. Etc. I'm not so sure QC was all that great with these things.
    Yeah, upon further inspection it looks like my screen isn't actually flush with the button after comparing it to the edge of the casing. If I press down around the button it gets a lot better temporarily until the screen bulges out again. Wonder if it was just put together poorly and if removing and reinstalling the case might fix this or if the screen/glass is the culprit.
    But this isn't an HP thing. I can't remember the last piece of electronics I bought, whether it be smartphones (HTC, Samsung, Blackberry, Apple), cameras (Sony, Canon), MP3 players (Creative, Apple, Cowon) that didn't have a fairly large degree of variance in build/detail quality, in addition to a wild variance in parts quality. No manufacturer seems to be immune. I was using an iPhone for awhile and went through 3 of them for various reasons, none of the home screen buttons felt the same, one was recessed much more than the others, 1 had a tactile click and the other 2 did not, 1 barely registered clicks at all. As far as LCD's, lol, my last 3 laptops (Dell, Sony, and Lenovo) each had miles of forum posts about the insane variance in image quality. It's the cost of mass production in China. Everything is becoming disposable.
    I have a 16 G, the home model that ends in "A". Mine is flush with the screen.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    On my 16GB the home button is recessed slightly but it does sit at an angle with the left side sitting lower than the right. The glass is also not quite flush with the bezel in this area.
    Yeah, at this point I am wondering the same thing. They must have some extra touchpads for warranty exchanges which right now is the only way to fix the problem IMO. Since I most likely got a new button when I sent mine in for repair I am leaning towards manufacturing tolerance issues. Not sure I'd want to risk getting other issues like a yellowish screen on the new one. Interesting that is seems to be largely happening on 32GB touchpads or maybe it is just that the users of the 32gb have an eye for details like that.
    Not sure how 32gb users have a better eye for details.....hmmmm. But as an owner of a 16gb TP I can report that my unit has snug volume control and firm and perfectly flush home button....
    As long as the button works and provides good feedback when pressed I wouldn't worry about it. There is a point at which you can start to nitpick too much on a mass-produced item.

If the button feels "off" somehow I'd get it repaired though.
    Yeah, upon further inspection it looks like my screen isn't actually flush with the button after comparing it to the edge of the casing. If I press down around the button it gets a lot better temporarily until the screen bulges out again. Wonder if it was just put together poorly and if removing and reinstalling the case might fix this or if the screen/glass is the culprit.
    I've thought the same thing but have not had time to look at any of the teardown sites and access how easy/safe it would be to attempt it. But am I more inclined to do that than deal with HP over the issue. Clearly poor QC but we knew that from the beginning. Overall it is only a minor distraction to the device for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolluva View Post
    Not sure how 32gb users have a better eye for details.....hmmmm. But as an owner of a 16gb TP I can report that my unit has snug volume control and firm and perfectly flush home button....
    I figured maybe more power users might have them for the extra storage and might notice the problem; that's not to say 16GB won't have this issue and/or owners who would notice.

As long as the button works and provides good feedback when pressed I wouldn't worry about it. There is a point at which you can start to nitpick too much on a mass-produced item.

If the button feels "off" somehow I'd get it repaired though.
    I had my faulty button fixed and expected a better job, but if it is a screen and/or case fitment issue I can see it being a nitpicking/quality problem. Just a little disappointing to see the QC lacking this much on an otherwise great product.
    I figured maybe more power users might have them for the extra storage and might notice the problem; that's not to say 16GB won't have this issue and/or owners who would notice.

I had my faulty button fixed and expected a better job, but if it is a screen and/or case fitment issue I can see it being a nitpicking/quality problem. Just a little disappointing to see the QC lacking this much on an otherwise great product.

Gotcha!! My reason actually for getting the 16gb was because I already have a 32gb Ipad and it just seemed like a no-brainer for the price and for the web browser flash capability alone. But yeah, definitely seems to be a bit of QC issues from all the problems folks are reporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCTraveler View Post
    I've thought the same thing but have not had time to look at any of the teardown sites and access how easy/safe it would be to attempt it. But am I more inclined to do that than deal with HP over the issue. Clearly poor QC but we knew that from the beginning. Overall it is only a minor distraction to the device for me.
    The only teardown video I've found is at TechRepublic.

HP TouchPad: Teardown and hardware analysis | TechRepublic

Looks pretty easy. The button appears to be on it's own circuit board separate from the glass fron panel.
    well said and 100% agreed. i went through more than you and no two were the same..
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    well said and 100% agreed. i went through more than you and no two were the same..
    Thanks for the observations guys. I only had 2 but quite obviously no 2 are alike. Maybe HP was going for uniqueness in their manufacturing process...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12