Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109
Like Tree12Likes
  1. mbudden's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
       #1  
    WebOS Dr failed at 12%. Sat there for over an hour.
    Now the computer doesn't recognize the device. Looks for driver, then fails.
    Plug it into the wall charger, and nothing happens. No LED, no nothing.
    No button combos work etc.

    Looks like I'm not the only one.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

    How disappointing.
  2. #2  
    did this happen randomly or did you do something that caused it to brick?
  3. #3  
    Why are you doctoring -- to update to webOS 3.0.2?

    What operating system are you using on your computer?

    Did you put your TouchPad in recovery mode before you connected to your computer?
  4. #4  
    try a different computer.
  5. mbudden's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by manjazz123 View Post
    did this happen randomly or did you do something that caused it to brick?
    Happened randomly.

    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Why are you doctoring -- to update to webOS 3.0.2?

    What operating system are you using on your computer?

    Did you put your TouchPad in recovery mode before you connected to your computer?
    Correct. Put into Recovery Mode.
    Didn't have access to WiFi to do the OTA update.
    So I assumed that WebOS Dr would be faster than having to wait for WiFi.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    try a different computer.
    This has been done, computer tries to load the driver. But fails.
    Running java -jar and the webos dr shows that no device is connected.
  6. micahdg's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    try a different computer.
    Try this for sure. Sometimes between java, the USB port, windows, and the webos device, things just don't work right. I used to have lots of java issues on my desktop and had to use webos QI or doctor via my laptop.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    Try this for sure. Sometimes between java, the USB port, windows, and the webos device, things just don't work right. I used to have lots of java issues on my desktop and had to use webos QI or doctor via my laptop.
    Similar. I have sometimes had issues using my Windows 7 64 bit notebook. But I've never had a problem using a 32 bit system (now use my netbook with Windows 7 starter edition).
  8. #8  
    Wow, you can really perm brick a Touchpad with a bad webosdoctor flash? For some reason I thought it had a failsafe recovery mode.
  9. #9  
    did you try pressing the home and power buttons at once to get it out of USB mode? It might just still be on recovery mode and your comp won't recognize it to install drivers.
  10. #10  
    you have to unplug the touchpad from the PC before trying again.
  11. mbudden's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    Try this for sure. Sometimes between java, the USB port, windows, and the webos device, things just don't work right. I used to have lots of java issues on my desktop and had to use webos QI or doctor via my laptop.
    I'll try another laptop for good measure.

    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Similar. I have sometimes had issues using my Windows 7 64 bit notebook. But I've never had a problem using a 32 bit system (now use my netbook with Windows 7 starter edition).
    I'll try a 32bit machine, lets see if that helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastOne View Post
    Wow, you can really perm brick a Touchpad with a bad webosdoctor flash? For some reason I thought it had a failsafe recovery mode.
    I was told that these things were not prone to bricking, but after what I have been experiencing. I don't believe that to be true.

    Quote Originally Posted by arrocha87 View Post
    did you try pressing the home and power buttons at once to get it out of USB mode? It might just still be on recovery mode and your comp won't recognize it to install drivers.
    Correct. Power + Home, Power + Home + Up Vol, Power + Home + Down Vol, multiple combos. Even the HP TouchPad support was stumped, they're thinking that it's due for a RMA even when there is 365 days left on the warranty. I heard him talking to the other guys near him about this. They were all confused. He said try to leave it on the charger for 30 mins. If nothing happens, call back and they'll escalate it.
  12. Tapiozona's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #12  
    If it makes you feel any better I bricked mine 1 hour after buying it this morning.

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...n-respond.html
  13. #13  
    a defective device is different than 'bricking' a device. Bricking implies hemebrewing or non-standard activity.

    either way, try again, use a 32 bit version of windows, start with the device powered off and unplugged, and make sure the battery is at least 30% charged. Just like novacaine, a little bit works if you give it enough time (movie reference)
  14. #14  
    I'm with you. These things seem to big barely worth their $100 price point. I've bee bricked since last night. Spent hours trying to get it working and nothing. It is funny that the service designed to fix a brick is causing a brick. I can't do a damn thing on mine to get it past 12%.

    I'm starting to think I should have held on to my $100.
  15. #15  
    I just got off the phone with the "Butler" service. I'm going to send it back in to them, have them fix it, then send it back. It is free of charge (as it should be) and I will just have to go one more week without it. I'm not going to start counting on having a working Touchpad after the 1 year is up, though.
  16. Tapiozona's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    #16  
    I still think it's a smoking deal at $100 even with my bad luck. By "Butler" service you mean you called Tech Support and they're going to send you a box to mail it to repairs (in Texas)?

    That's what I have to do and they said about 2 days to get the box and then 10 days after that to get it back.
  17. mbudden's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapiozona View Post
    If it makes you feel any better I bricked mine 1 hour after buying it this morning.

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...n-respond.html
    Yeah, it seems that I'm not the only one in this...
    I'm glad they put a warning in the "Get Started" guide that's stickied.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    a defective device is different than 'bricking' a device. Bricking implies hemebrewing or non-standard activity.

    either way, try again, use a 32 bit version of windows, start with the device powered off and unplugged, and make sure the battery is at least 30% charged. Just like novacaine, a little bit works if you give it enough time (movie reference)
    Wasn't able to do anything with another computer.
    The drivers would just fail when plugged in.

    Quote Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
    I'm with you. These things seem to big barely worth their $100 price point. I've bee bricked since last night. Spent hours trying to get it working and nothing. It is funny that the service designed to fix a brick is causing a brick. I can't do a damn thing on mine to get it past 12%.

    I'm starting to think I should have held on to my $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvbull200 View Post
    I just got off the phone with the "Butler" service. I'm going to send it back in to them, have them fix it, then send it back. It is free of charge (as it should be) and I will just have to go one more week without it. I'm not going to start counting on having a working Touchpad after the 1 year is up, though.
    It's worth the 100$ no doubt. But it's just unfortunate that this happened.
    I opened my other one and it came out of the box in Recovery Mode and had to use WebOS Dr to install the OS. Worked fine.

    But I just got off the phone with them as well, but through the HP # and they're sending a box for repair. 7-10 days. But it sucks that box won't come till almost Monday and then wait for it to be repaired and then waiting for it to come back... Better than getting a Refurb. I don't like the fact that the repair facility isn't close...
  18. #18  
    I thought I'd bricked mine when it failed the first webdr update.

    I think you need to make sure the first time you plug the Touchpad into your pc ISN'T when you update the os. I think when windows updates the drivers, it interrupts the connection.

    I was freaked but I did a hard reset, then the USB startup and the USB symbol did appear and it updated like normal.
  19. mbudden's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFilms View Post
    I thought I'd bricked mine when it failed the first webdr update.

    I think you need to make sure the first time you plug the Touchpad into your pc ISN'T when you update the os. I think when windows updates the drivers, it interrupts the connection.

    I was freaked but I did a hard reset, then the USB startup and the USB symbol did appear and it updated like normal.
    Bro. That sounds totally different than my problem.
    My problem is, it doesn't boot. It doesn't show any indication of life.
    No amount of key combos turns it on. The light on the Home button doesn't turn on when plugged into the wall or computer.

    When you plug it into the computer, usually it loads the bootie drivers. But nada.
  20. #20  
    try what worked for me 10 minutes ago

    plug it into the ac adapter to charge, then press the power button and the home button and hold
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions