Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree12Likes
    Am I going to need novaterm for this process?
    OK, I think I got this to work thanks to rwhitby's suggestion to run webos doctor in a command line. I found onebadtaz's instructions here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...sue-fixed.html

For those of you who are clueless (like me), here's how I got it to work.

1) Start button, accessories, command prompt.
    2) Type cd "c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin" and hit enter.
    3) Download the Webos Doctor file at Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals.
    4) Place the file in the directory in #2.
    5) Go back to the command line and type java -jar webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar, then hit enter.
    6) Webos doctor opens. Start the program and it will go to 12% and stop.
    7) Open novaterm. (What is novaterm? I have no idea, but I downloaded it at http://tkgeisel.com/stuff/novaterm-1.zip). Extract the files (I extracted to my desktop) and run the .exe file. Select connect.
    8) Pray.
    9) As onebadtaz suggested, type dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-medi, then hit enter.
    10) Choose option 2. I can't remember what it was, but that's what I chose. Select Y for yes.
    11) Close Webos doctor and shake your fist at the computer and touchpad for driving you nuts.
    12) Start Webos doctor yet again using the command line.
    13) Hope your touchpad makes it through the process this time so you can select your language and cheer.
    reverendzj likes this.
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    That's cool and all bro.
    But some of us unplugged it after some time, and that's where it went down hill from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
    That's cool and all bro.
    But some of us unplugged it after some time, and that's where it went down hill from there.
    Well bro, I also unplugged mine and and ran into the same difficulties many others experienced. I was on the verge of calling HP and sending the device back, bro. Fortunately I was able to keep working at it and find this solution by piecing together information from a few different sources, bro. I posted these steps to help people, bro. If it's irrelevant to you, bro, you have the option of ignoring it rather than posting a comment that helps nobody. I hope that's cool and all, bro.
    reverendzj likes this.
    i too am only able to get to 12% and it dies. here's snippets of the error on my log files
    Sep 09, 2011 12:45:53 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: ****.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /var/log

Sep 09, 2011 12:45:53 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat:

INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Executing /tmp/do_format_dev_mapper_store-mojodb.sh

Sep 09, 2011 12:45:54 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> Unable to handle LV mojodb

Sep 09, 2011 12:45:54 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "lvm.static vgchange -an store"

INFO: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 2327: sh

Sep 09, 2011 12:45:55 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: 0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

Sep 09, 2011 12:45:55 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

INFO: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

<snip>

Sep 09, 2011 12:46:12 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Sep 09, 2011 12:46:13 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Sep 09, 2011 12:46:13 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

INFO: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 2580: sh

INFO: Trenchcoat: Broken pipe

INFO: <ERROR> Unable to handle LV mojodb

<snip>

Sep 09, 2011 12:46:30 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Sep 09, 2011 12:46:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Sep 09, 2011 12:46:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

INFO: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 2834: sh

INFO: Trenchcoat: Broken pipe

INFO: <ERROR> Unable to handle LV mojodb

INFO: trenchcoat retries exhausted

Sep 09, 2011 12:46:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage$TrenchcoatReaderThread run
    WARNING:
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readArray(PacketReader.java:44)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.readPacket(PacketReader.java:58)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketReader.read(PacketReader.java:87)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.read(NovacomSocketStream.java:127)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.readLine(NovacomBaseStream.java:42)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage$TrenchcoatReaderThread.run(TrenchcoatStage.java: 194)

Sep 09, 2011 12:46:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    WARNING: Flash Failure
    Trenchcoat error: <ERROR> Unable to handle LV mojodb
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage.run(TrenchcoatStage.java:104)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:472)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Sep 09, 2011 12:46:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1315593991976
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils saveLogs
    INFO: from C:\DOCUME~1\MENTIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0.lck
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:31 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils saveLogs
    INFO: to C:\DOCUME~1\MENTIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\palmInstallerError0.log
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:32 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils saveLogs
    INFO: from C:\DOCUME~1\MENTIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.2
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:32 PM com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils saveLogs
    INFO: to C:\DOCUME~1\MENTIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\palmInstallerError1.log
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:34 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:34 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:35 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:35 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:35 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Sep 09, 2011 12:46:35 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    Another update.

Still nothing from HP. Though they have escalated the issue and made sure I was contacted whenever something happened. But I did get a phone call today from a lady and she told me that a device was on it's way back to me blah blah. But the tracking number etc was the same tracking number on the label for the box back to them. Called them back and had them give me the real details.

The person told me said that the repair centre is waiting for another device to be able to send back to me since they're not able to repair mine. Great...
    wow thats not right i guess they will refund you or offer you a deal on another product lol
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    Last and final update.

I got a phone call last night around 9PM from a HP "Admin".
    She gave me a tracking number and told me a replacement TouchPad was on it's way.
    I check the tracking number on the UPS website, and they shipped it via Next Day Air.

Received my TouchPad this morning. While it did take a while for me to get a replacement TouchPad, HP's customer service was top notch and did everything to make sure I was happy. I could careless if they didn't throw something extra my way. I'm just happy I got a replacement TouchPad. I'm assuming they were waiting for one to be in stock to be able to send me it.

Anyways, if any are waiting for a repair etc. Don't worry. Their CS will take care of you.
    Finally got my touchpad back too - a refurbished one - a little disappointed because the original one was brand-new. Anyway, it is better than nothing. HP didn't call me (although they promised to do so when I called them) with any update and I had no idea that the pad was actually delivered.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456