Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    did you try the Universal Novacom Installer from Canuck Coding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did you try the Universal Novacom Installer from Canuck Coding?
    If your talking to me then yes and it didn't do anything.
    here is what I posted on another forum.. maybe it will help those having the 12% "tp brick" issue..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am having the same problem. HP Touchpad Wi-Fi 32GB. Stuck at 12% and eventually the WebOS Doctor comes back with "We are not able to reset your device. Please go to HP Support for help." The link to HP Support takes you to a help page that doesn't help at all. Touchpad screen shows the processor with arrow pointing down on it. HELP!

Stupid for me to try and update using the WebOS Doctor. I had already updated via wi-fi to 3.0.2.

Anybody else figure this out. Any response from HP/Palm would be greatly appreciated.

******** UPDATE!! *****************

After spending 3+ hours surfing the web and probably trying WebOS doctor 20 more times, I finally have made some progress!
    I read on other forums that the 12% is a specific percentage after wich the Novacom drivers kick in? or something like that. I thought that maybe the drivers that were downloaded with the Java file might not be adequete so I came across a site that had a link to the newest novacom drivers:

http://code.google.com/p/universal-n...=2&q=%EF%BB%BF...

After installing those drivers, I fired up WebOS Doctor, crossed my fingers as the progress bar went from 2%...4%..8%..9%..12%....13%!!then 21%... I couldn't look anymore and didn't want to be too excited because I've been there before, only to be dissapointed with the "Not able to reset your device" error....so I just opened up another browser and started surfing....after about 2 minutes, I cautiously looked back.. it was at 83%!.. before I knew what happend next, it was done and the touchpad was reboting into that HP logo and soon it was glowing and then the blue screen with the languages!! Yeah, I was that excited. Hope it works out for the rest of you... good luck!

FYI.. I was using Windows 7 x64... perhaps some issue with the TP 3.02 ROM and incorrect novacom drivers. The link above will recognize you have x64 Windows 7 and download appropriate drivers.. I think this is what made it work for me.
    Last edited by touchpaddude; 09/01/2011 at 11:21 AM.
    Psychonaut likes this.
    ****UPDATE*****

Well I caved in and called customer service. The guy was a complete ***** but he deemed my Touchpad to be bricked. I'm sending it in and hopefully getting a new one soon because I can't see this one being able to get fixed. If I couldn't recognize it on my computer I doubt they have some magical system that can.
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    Did anyone that sent their TouchPad in for repair, did the CS Rep tell you if they would be contacting you when it was done being repaired? Or if they would send you a email regarding it being shipped back? I know mine just got their yesterday, but I'd rather not come home and see it sitting on my porch one day without no notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman3459 View Post
    ****UPDATE*****

Well I caved in and called customer service. The guy was a complete ***** but he deemed my Touchpad to be bricked. I'm sending it in and hopefully getting a new one soon because I can't see this one being able to get fixed. If I couldn't recognize it on my computer I doubt they have some magical system that can.
    Doubt you'll get a new one. At most they'll open it up and replace the motherboard or something of the like.
    Maybe this is why HP suddenly and without warning decided to dump TouchPads - it seems no one can keep one running for more than a day!

PS I am anxiously awaiting one from the fire sale. I hope mine eventually ships and lasts a few months. Which brings up an interesting point, if they're not making them anymore how will HP replace defective units under warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by drew0tonna View Post
    Maybe this is why HP suddenly and without warning decided to dump TouchPads - it seems no one can keep one running for more than a day!

PS I am anxiously awaiting one from the fire sale. I hope mine eventually ships and lasts a few months. Which brings up an interesting point, if they're not making them anymore how will HP replace defective units under warranty?
    I've had mine running for a week and its smooth like butter. Apart from the one hiccup that I had due to incorrect drivers being installed, everything is golden. Every major product is going to have a few issues (ie.. iphone 4 dropping calls).

I have both an ipad 2 & touchpad. I'll take WebOS over IOS any day of the week, and twice on Saturdays. The UI is superb and blows Apple away. I do admit that there are some rough edges that HP has to work on to perfect WebOS but after installing Preware & bunch of the homebrew patches, it is a work of art. The touchpad is fast, smooth & elegant all at the same time. I really think HP should have spent an extra 6 months in using these patches in their own ROM. They put the product out too early.

The only thing Apple has going for it is a few extra specs such as two cameras & of course a **** load of apps. I hate having to push my home button on my iphone 4 now. I had a Palm pre before the iphone and i'm 'so happy to be able to get my hands back on a WebOS product.
    I was being a bit sarcastic in my post - I hope you recognized that. I too have an original Sprint Pre that's 27 months old. I've been waiting for Pre 3 as mine is starting to do funny things. I hate the thought of giving up on webOS for a phone, but eventually I'll have to do something. Dare I say it - iPhone 5? Not sure I want Android. Perhaps one of the elusive GSM Touchpads?
    Quote Originally Posted by drew0tonna View Post
    I was being a bit sarcastic in my post - I hope you recognized that. I too have an original Sprint Pre that's 27 months old. I've been waiting for Pre 3 as mine is starting to do funny things. I hate the thought of giving up on webOS for a phone, but eventually I'll have to do something. Dare I say it - iPhone 5? Not sure I want Android. Perhaps one of the elusive GSM Touchpads?
    I bit the bullet and left Sprint after 15 yrs to go to AT&T on a family plan. So, i basically had to get the iPhone4 since most of my buddies & relatives have them. I guess I succumb to peer pressure. I really missed the WebOS and don't really buy into the iPhone hype eventhough I have one. I guess it makes sense if you are a big app person. Apart from about 10-20 apps I use every now and then, I don't go into the app store much at all.

Lately, I decided to jailbreak the iphone 4 because I was interested in tethering. Put Cydia on there and Mywi. It's pretty good. Plan on using the tethering to stream college football games this weekend to my Touchpad as my family goes on a road trip.
    No, it shows absolutely nothing. I plugged it into a different computer (32-bit) and it said installing drivers but it failed, when I clicked to see details it said "Palm device has no drivers" or something like that. Yet it knew it was a Palm Device. I tried again but it won't recognize it now
    If it shows up as Palm you have a different error than us with the QHSUSB_DLOAD.
    I believe you tried the full webOS doctor.

Try the quick install located here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-2-3-a.html

Also it doesn't show up again is because windows already knows about that device on the same USB port. You can find it by going into your computer management >> Device Manager and will be under unknown.
    I've tried everything. Yesterday I went to work (9 hour shift) and left my touchpad sitting on the charger. When I got home I used it for a couple hours and turned it off (I checked the battery right before I turned it off, it was at 92%). This morning I go to turn it on and nothing happens. After a few tries I used the power + home button. Nothing happened. I heard that the Touchpad is weird when it comes to battery life so I stuck it on the charger and once again nothing happened.

Touchpad wasn't forced on and no light was indicating that it was on or charging.

Obviously WebOS was next. But I was cut short because WebOS didn't even recognize that I had a device plugged in. I know the cord isn't bad because I just used it on the computer not even 24 hours ago and I was charging it until 11 at night.

I'm pretty sure that's enough reason to say it's bricked, if anyone can help it would be great.
    I got the same problem - mine only worked for about 1 hour out of the box before I plugged it in and tried to update it using the WebOS doctor (I wish I had just waited since the online update seems much faster now) - got stuck and then bricked at 12%. It is not the computer because my roommate's touchpad is working perfectly using the same USB cable and port ... waiting for HP to send me the return-repair box ...
    Quote Originally Posted by hublueyd View Post
    I got the same problem - mine only worked for about 1 hour out of the box before I plugged it in and tried to update it using the WebOS doctor (I wish I had just waited since the online update seems much faster now) - got stuck and then bricked at 12%. It is not the computer because my roommate's touchpad is working perfectly using the same USB cable and port ... waiting for HP to send me the return-repair box ...
    Did you try what is described below. I can guarantee not everyone saying they bricked their TP is actually bricked. For those of us that have been around webOS for a while know how rare it is to see software bricked devices.

Quote Originally Posted by touchpaddude View Post
    here is what I posted on another forum.. maybe it will help those having the 12% "tp brick" issue..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am having the same problem. HP Touchpad Wi-Fi 32GB. Stuck at 12% and eventually the WebOS Doctor comes back with "We are not able to reset your device. Please go to HP Support for help." The link to HP Support takes you to a help page that doesn't help at all. Touchpad screen shows the processor with arrow pointing down on it. HELP!

Stupid for me to try and update using the WebOS Doctor. I had already updated via wi-fi to 3.0.2.

Anybody else figure this out. Any response from HP/Palm would be greatly appreciated.

******** UPDATE!! *****************

After spending 3+ hours surfing the web and probably trying WebOS doctor 20 more times, I finally have made some progress!
    I read on other forums that the 12% is a specific percentage after wich the Novacom drivers kick in? or something like that. I thought that maybe the drivers that were downloaded with the Java file might not be adequete so I came across a site that had a link to the newest novacom drivers:

UniversalNovacomInstaller.jar - universal-novacom-installer - Universal Novacom Installer v1.2.1 - Universal Novacom Installer - Google Project Hosting...

After installing those drivers, I fired up WebOS Doctor, crossed my fingers as the progress bar went from 2%...4%..8%..9%..12%....13%!!then 21%... I couldn't look anymore and didn't want to be too excited because I've been there before, only to be dissapointed with the "Not able to reset your device" error....so I just opened up another browser and started surfing....after about 2 minutes, I cautiously looked back.. it was at 83%!.. before I knew what happend next, it was done and the touchpad was reboting into that HP logo and soon it was glowing and then the blue screen with the languages!! Yeah, I was that excited. Hope it works out for the rest of you... good luck!

FYI.. I was using Windows 7 x64... perhaps some issue with the TP 3.02 ROM and incorrect novacom drivers. The link above will recognize you have x64 Windows 7 and download appropriate drivers.. I think this is what made it work for me.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Thanks a lot for the information. But the problem I have now is that the TouchPad won't turn on at all (fully charged over 12 hours and tried numerous button combinations already), and if plugged into PC, the driver fails to install properly every time (the PC shows a "Palm" device with a yellow ! sign - deleted - reboot - reinstall - same - repeated >20 times). Of course, the WebOS doctor doesn't agree that there is a TouchPad connected - but the same PC, Novacom driver, usb cable work perfectly for my roommate's TouchPad ...
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    A little update. I decided to check on the status of the repair.

3:40 PM Marley: Sorry for the delay and thank you for being on hold.
    3:41 PM Marley: The device is still under repair process and to expedite the repair I will escalate the case to my superiors.
    3:46 PM mbudden: Oh. That isn't really necessary. I just was wondering the status of the repair.
    3:46 PM mbudden: I know that they said it would take 5-7 days from time of arrival.
    3:47 PM mbudden: And since yesterday was a holiday, I know that it would it be another day.
    3:48 PM Marley: Yes, but due to some problem it has been delayed and sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
    3:49 PM mbudden: Oh that's no problem. Expediting the repair, I'm assuming that it would be completed sometime this week?
    3:50 PM Marley: Yes, I will check with our engineer that it get repaired by this week and will be returned to you as soon as possible.
    3:51 PM mbudden: That would be nice. Is it mentioned what has delayed the repair, or...?
    3:52 PM Marley: I didn't find any details as such, or else I would have shared it with you. Which is why I am escalating this to the next level to expedite the process.
    How nice of HP's CS.
    But disturbing about some "problem"
    Quote Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
    A little update. I decided to check on the status of the repair.

How nice of HP's CS.
    But disturbing about some "problem"
    Just dropped off mine at UPS ... hopefully there will be no "problem" and get it back soon. Good luck to everyone.
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hublueyd View Post
    Just dropped off mine at UPS ... hopefully there will be no "problem" and get it back soon. Good luck to everyone.
    I have no doubt in my mind that they'll take good care of you. Their CS has been top notch so far.
    Hey guys, add me to the list of 12%-ers. I have tried charging the TP overnight first, letting it die first, installing the universal novacom drivers, using another computer, using the 200+ mb webos doctor as well as the installer from the hp site, and I can't get past the 12% mark. Any more ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by sincitybronze View Post
    Hey guys, add me to the list of 12%-ers. I have tried charging the TP overnight first, letting it die first, installing the universal novacom drivers, using another computer, using the 200+ mb webos doctor as well as the installer from the hp site, and I can't get past the 12% mark. Any more ideas?
    *ALWAYS* run the doctor on the command line, do not double click it. This allows you to see the console log which will tell you immediately what the problem is.

If you can't see the problem from the console log, attach the full log to a post here and someone else will be able to see it.

If you don't run the doctor on the command line, you're flying blind and no-one can guess what the problem may be.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    *ALWAYS* run the doctor on the command line, do not double click it. This allows you to see the console log which will tell you immediately what the problem is.

If you can't see the problem from the console log, attach the full log to a post here and someone else will be able to see it.

If you don't run the doctor on the command line, you're flying blind and no-one can guess what the problem may be.

-- Rod
    Thank you for the response, rwhitby. I'm new to this so I'm guessing you mean I should open a cmd window and open the doctor (full 200+ mb version?) with dos commands? I will attempt to figure this out and report back.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast