Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Has anyone tried to install Jason Robitaille's universal novacom installer to see if that will get you beyond the 12%?

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post2907396
    I have the same problem with it not booting up and showing up as QHSUSB_DLOAD on the computer. At first it had a blinking white light so I did the power button + center button reset procedure. The white light was gone but still not booting up.

I tried the following:

- Various combinations of the power button, volume buttons and center button. With and without the charger.

- Holding the power + volume up and plugging it into the computer

- Holding the volume up and plugging it into the computer

- Made sure the AC adapter was twisted and locked in. Confirmed by charging my blackberry.

Webos Doctor will not work as I can't get the usb upload mode by holding the volume + key.

Any ideas what to try next?

Forgot to mention it was working fine for over 2 days and I did overclock it to 1.5GHz using F15C + Gonvah
    Last edited by PHTP; 08/27/2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Finally finished the download. Had to hit the download button many times but it came back to the same point each time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rminor View Post
    Finally finished the download. Had to hit the download button many times but it came back to the same point each time.
    Sorry to heard that it took several times, but glad to hear that you got the download.
    First, make sure your unit is charging. There are issues with the charger. My daughter's brand new TP would not turn because it was fully discharged and the charger was not working. See post:

HP TouchPad Charging Issues | Geek News

Once charged, I have seen where some peeps have had to hold the power and home button combintation for two minutes before it finally rebooted.
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    First, make sure your unit is charging. There are issues with the charger. My daughter's brand new TP would not turn because it was fully discharged and the charger was not working. See post:

HP TouchPad Charging Issues | Geek News

Once charged, I have seen where some peeps have had to hold the power and home button combintation for two minutes before it finally rebooted.
    I verified that it wasn't the charger. The charger that came with it was able to power other devices, not to mention I tried other chargers. Power isn't the issue, not to mention it sat plugged in overnight and still no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by JediPriestess View Post
    It's so sad that "one" bad apple can ruin the whole damn bunch. Since I didn't fancy putting the doctor on my TP but instead have done all the other tweaks and modifications suggested in these lovely threads as well as other places and my TP works beautifully.

I am sorry that some seem to be having problems, but I don't think it's fair to slander the TouchPad name just because you're having problems with your device. As with all modifications to electronics you take a risk of damaging them in some way and I am pretty sure every modification suggestion I have read thus far as a warning on it. Although it is now being suggested you don't install the Doctor thing on your TP as many people are having problems with that particular bit of "software". Good news is your TP is under warranty. HP will gladly fix it.

However to call it bricked is extreme as you are not actually rooting your TouchPad. As rooting a device means different things to different people, I think one good explanation can be found here and I do welcome other people to give their opinions on it but don't 'flame' me because you think that explanation is incorrect. Like I said, we all have our own opinions. For me when you brick something it is because you have gone in and rooted the device to such a way that makes it stops working and sending it in to the manufacturer is not an option since you have voided any warranties on the device by doing this.

Homebrew on the touchpad is basically supported and allowed by everyone involved, including HP. You don't have to "hack" the device to allow for it.
    Sigh. I guess you didn't read the OP nor go through the thread and read.
    No one is slandering the TouchPad. I just said it's disappointing.

I was able to update one of mine via WebOS Dr. But not the other, the other one is the one that died and haven't found a remedy for it. Before going off in a long rant. Make sure you read the thread.
    My pre2 was having problems getting stuck at 12%. I just continued to re-attempt the DR process and on around my 6th attempt, it finally got past 12%. I spoke with rwhitby about it in IRC and he mentioned he's experienced it before too and it's just some sort "out-of-sync" issue with your computer. My advice, keep trying.
    bevcraw likes this.
    When connecting to a computer, use an official Palm/HP USB cable. It does make a difference.

I was having issues with webOS doctor and different phones (I develop, and when done with a particular device I wipe/restore it via Dr.). Anyway the Dr. kept starting and failing, and I went through the online troubleshooting page. One step said make sure I'm using the Palm cable. I thought it won't make a difference, but before I call tech support, I'll try all the recommended steps. Sure nuf, worked.
    Kookaroo, the Roku remote for webOS
    Amtrak Commuter, Check your Train schedule
    GPortal Google shortcuts for Google Plus, Google Voice, Google Tasks and other Google Services
    SiteStatus and SiteStatusPro website monitoring tools for webOS
    I've been reading all these post and they all say about 5 different things. In the end I have come to understand that there may be a few out there that are not "bricked" but just plain broken. Bad ic chip or micro power supply. It does happen or the warranty would be 10 years.

With that said, do take advantage of the warrrany. Good luck.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    SkindancerAng likes this.
    I agree in that if you can get to the Webos Dr then your touchpad isn't bricked. In my case I can't even get to that point. I would call HP for warranty however as I had mentioned it has the F15C kernel. Yes I know it's a risk I took and before I determine it as a hardware failure. I came here wondering if there were other steps I could try to boot up the device.

*OP sorry for jacking the thread. Perhaps I should create a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHTP View Post
    I agree in that if you can get to the Webos Dr then your touchpad isn't bricked. In my case I can't even get to that point. I would call HP for warranty however as I had mentioned it has the F15C kernel. Yes I know it's a risk I took and before I determine it as a hardware failure. I came here wondering if there were other steps I could try to boot up the device.

Then still go for the warranty. If it doesn't even boot then HP would not know the difference. Odds are they will warranty it. HP wants nothing to do with TP's . They will just throw your TP in a bin and send you a new one.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    Folks, if you have no constructive help to offer some members who are having some problems, then move on to another thread. Thanks.

<<thread cleaned>>
    i have the same problem. it started just one hour after i bought it.
    i can boot the tp. i can install apps, delete apps. but after rebooting everything is like i didnt change anything. all installed apps are gone, all deinstalled apps are back on the tp!

seems like there's a serious problem with the partitions. doctor stops at 12%. tried three different pcs. win7, xp, ubuntu linux.

i got this messeges when i started the doctor via the console:

28.08.2011 00:10:17 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: 8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

28.08.2011 00:10:18 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "/sbin/**** -a /dev/mapper/store-root"

28.08.2011 00:10:18 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: **** 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)

INFO: Trenchcoat: /: clean, 22041/36400 files, 111368/145408 blocks

28.08.2011 00:10:19 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "/sbin/**** -a /dev/mapper/store-var"

28.08.2011 00:10:19 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

INFO: Trenchcoat: /var: recovering journal

INFO: Trenchcoat: ****.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /var

INFO: Trenchcoat:

INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "/sbin/**** -a /dev/mapper/store-update"

INFO: Trenchcoat: /var/lib/update: clean, 13/4096 files, 1166/4096 blocks

INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "/sbin/**** -a /dev/mapper/store-log"

INFO: Trenchcoat: /var/log: recovering journal

INFO: Trenchcoat: ****.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /var/log

28.08.2011 00:10:20 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "lvm.static vgchange -an store"

28.08.2011 00:10:20 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> Unable to handle LV mojodb

INFO: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 2241: sh

28.08.2011 00:10:21 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: 0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

28.08.2011 00:10:21 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: Broken pipe

INFO: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

28.08.2011 00:10:21 com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream handleSocketException
    WARNUNG: SocketException Cmd: file:///sbin/trenchcoat
    28.08.2011 00:10:21 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    WARNUNG: Flash Failure
    java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe from file:///sbin/trenchcoat, return code: 1
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:109)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:141)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketWriter.write(PacketWriter.java:30)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.write(NovacomSocketStream.java:169)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.java:21)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.java:69)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage.run(TrenchcoatStage.java:104)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:426)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
    28.08.2011 00:10:21 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1314483021597
    28.08.2011 00:10:21 com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils saveLogs
    INFO: from /tmp/PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.1
    INFO: to /tmp/palmInstallerError0.log
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: /tmp/palmInstallerError0.log (Permission denied)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:209)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:99)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils.saveLogs(RdxUtils.java:215)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.saveLogs(CardController.java:166)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.handleFailCase(CardController.java:686)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.postFlashEvent(CardController.java:860)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:609)
    INFO: from /tmp/PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.2
    INFO: to /tmp/palmInstallerError1.log
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: /tmp/palmInstallerError1.log (Permission denied)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:209)
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:99)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils.saveLogs(RdxUtils.java:215)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.saveLogs(CardController.java:166)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.handleFailCase(CardController.java:686)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.postFlashEvent(CardController.java:860)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:609)
    28.08.2011 00:10:23 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    28.08.2011 00:10:23 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handleFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
    java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe from file:///sbin/trenchcoat, return code: 1
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:109)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:141)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.PacketWriter.write(PacketWriter.java:30)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream.write(NovacomSocketStream.java:169)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.java:21)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomBaseStream.write(NovacomBaseStream.java:69)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage.run(TrenchcoatStage.java:104)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:426)
    28.08.2011 00:10:24 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    28.08.2011 00:10:24 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    28.08.2011 00:10:24 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    28.08.2011 00:10:24 com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runnerFinished
    WARNUNG: flashing failed, move to failed card
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I've been reading all these post and they all say about 5 different things. In the end I have come to understand that there may be a few out there that are not "bricked" but just plain broken. Bad ic chip or micro power supply. It does happen or the warranty would be 10 years.

With that said, do take advantage of the warrrany. Good luck.
    Yeah, I'm assuming that either A. The flash took out the chip (somehow?) or B. Something was bad internally and nothing could have prevented it and it would have happened sometime or another.

Warranty has been taken advantage of. I love how the CS rep was surprised when he seen there was 365 days left on the warranty. lol

Are you able to get it into Recovery Mode? Or is yours like mine where no amount of key combos will bring it back to life?
    Finally Pre likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
    Yeah, I'm assuming that either A. The flash took out the chip (somehow?) or B. Something was bad internally and nothing could have prevented it and it would have happened sometime or another.

Warranty has been taken advantage of. I love how the CS rep was surprised when he seen there was 365 days left on the warranty. lol

Are you able to get it into Recovery Mode? Or is yours like mine where no amount of key combos will bring it back to life?
    Like yours where any combo's won't bring it to life. When you plug yours into the computer does it show up as "QHSUSB_DLOAD" ? I know in the past when it was functional it would show up as a disk drive or utilize the novacom drivers.
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    Like yours where any combo's won't bring it to life. When you plug yours into the computer does it show up as "QHSUSB_DLOAD" ? I know in the past when it was functional it would show up as a disk drive or utilize the novacom drivers.
    If I plug it into a USB port that has never been used before, it will open the drivers screen and try to load Palm drivers. But about 15 seconds later, it fails to find them and that's it.

I'm able to see it when I do lsusb in Linux, but other than that. Nada.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
    If I plug it into a USB port that has never been used before, it will open the drivers screen and try to load Palm drivers. But about 15 seconds later, it fails to find them and that's it.

I'm able to see it when I do lsusb in Linux, but other than that. Nada.
    If you don't mind, in windows can you open up computer management (compmgmt.msc) and go under Other devices and see if it shows up as Palm or QHSUSB_DLOAD?

Thanks.

Edit: Added Screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PHTP; 08/28/2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Attached screenshot
    Giving this some more thought last night and this morning. I have noticed that even a working TP may not connect to a PC the first time. So I tried something. Using the computer at work I connected one of my TPs. It was the first time on that computer for any WebOS device. It would not load all the drivers and or allow the TP to be seen as a USB drive. I then rebooted the computer and the TP. The second time around it did and now it does all the time.

This had lead me to believe if there is an issue with a TP and you were to connect it the first time to a computer it may not work...ever. So I would suggest that EVERYONE at least connect their TP at least once while the TP is working. That way at the very least the drivers are installed and working if you ever really need it. Also for those that are having TP issues and have never connected and can't now, see if you can find someone that has a working one and have them connect to get the drivers running. Then connect yours. It may solve SOME of the problems here.

We want them!!!
    bevcraw likes this.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Giving this some more thought last night and this morning. I have noticed that even a working TP may not connect to a PC the first time. So I tried something. Using the computer at work I connected one of my TPs. It was the first time on that computer for any WebOS device. It would not load all the drivers and or allow the TP to be seen as a USB drive. I then rebooted the computer and the TP. The second time around it did and now it does all the time.

This had lead me to believe if there is an issue with a TP and you were to connect it the first time to a computer it may not work...ever. So I would suggest that EVERYONE at least connect their TP at least once while the TP is working. That way at the very least the drivers are installed and working if you ever really need it. Also for those that are having TP issues and have never connected and can't now, see if you can find someone that has a working one and have them connect to get the drivers running. Then connect yours. It may solve SOME of the problems here.
    I connected mine the first day i had it to my computer and let all the drivers install but it still hangs at 12% forever after it just wouldnt start up one day.
    Global Posts
    957 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jace985 View Post
    I connected mine the first day i had it to my computer and let all the drivers install but it still hangs at 12% forever after it just wouldnt start up one day.
    Correct. Same here, I already had it connected once. I reconnected it for the update, all drivers were loaded.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast