Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By Tikerz
  • 1 Post By manjazz123
  • 1 Post By jhoff80
  • 3 Post By GodShapedHole
  • 4 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    I have OC'd my 16GB TP to 1.5GHz. Also, installed all the patches that have been blogged around the net.

But the TP still felt sluggish and not as responsive ... UNTIL ... I installed the Ripple On Tap patch form Preware.

WOW ! WOW ! WOW !

Now when using the keyboard it feels as snappy as the iPad. Whoever within HP decided to use the ripple feature should be made to captain a small boat through a large wake.

The other benefit is when touching buttons and options and within list boxes. The whol field / button is selected rather than the annoying ripple.

Its way better now ! Highest recommendation.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I liked the ripple on the Pre, sucks if it slows things down though.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoty View Post
    I liked the ripple on the Pre, sucks if it slows things down though.
    What do you mean .. 'slow things down' ... when does it do that //
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcanman View Post
    You just said yourself that removing the ripple makes the TP feel faster...
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    I was reading somewhere that the tap ripple is indeed processor intensive and was affecting some developers due to causing slow downs in their apps every time the screen was tapped.

Something about having to display the ripple while at the same time activating whatever was tapped on screen causes a processing hit that affects performance for that split moment. Removing the ripple should speed things up in theory.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Is there any way to get the ripple back if you install the disable patch? I'd like to try it but not if it's a one way trip.
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by w4rmk View Post
    Is there any way to get the ripple back if you install the disable patch? I'd like to try it but not if it's a one way trip.
    Yeah, just remove the patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcanman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    You just said yourself that removing the ripple makes the TP feel faster...

LOL what in the world is going on? *confusion*
    GodShapedHole likes this.
    I tried the patch myself, and it personally drove me crazy to not have any visual feedback of tapping the screen.
    cocochannel likes this.
    This thread sucks!
    reggieb, Tikerz and manjazz123 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    This thread sucks!
    I completely disagree, this is the best thread ever!
    So who else thinks the remove ripple tap patch makes it faster? I'm actually curious about this, because I do like the ripple on tap, but if removing it speeds it up I'm all for it.
    Sprint Love
    Yes, we have no bananas.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    I tried the patch on my Pre- and it did indeed make it faster for PDK games. I noticed before when I didn't have the patch on any PDK app like Radiant or Sparkle would lag badly when I touched the screen. Once I removed the ripple it ran more smoother.
    Last edited by shoichikun808; 08/26/2011 at 06:15 PM.
    -------------------
    They can take away a webOS device from being released on Sprint...but I will never lose my love for webOS!!!...GO TOUCHPAD!!!!

Palm Pre - > HTC Hero - > HTC Evo 4g - > iPhone 5(soon)
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    So who else thinks the remove ripple tap patch makes it faster? I'm actually curious about this, because I do like the ripple on tap, but if removing it speeds it up I'm all for it.
    The getting started thread says the slowdown only happens in PDK based apps.
    This is a known affect and it does have drastic performance degradation: https://developer.palm.com/distribut...=15776&p=83764

Particularly with PDK games where frame rates are imperative; when one taps and the ripple is shown, it drastically drops the frame rate.