Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I just got my touchpad and was installing the new system update 3.0.2 and sometime during the process the unit turned off and wouldnt reboot back on. I held the power and center button for 15 seconds and then I got the HP logo again and eventually an error message "www.palm.com/ROM". I did the 15 second trick again and this time it booted up fine. I opened the browser and the unit froze with green/black lines covering the entire screen so I did the 15 second trick again only now it won't start up. I can't get the hp logo to appear or anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

(it's been plugged in for a little while so it can't be the battery)
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Update: It's bricked. I can see why this thing sold so well.
    As far as I know, no one has yet to actually brick a webOS device.

Question, when you started the installation what was your battery level? You need to have you battery charged to over 50%, of course fully charged is recommended. Search the forums on how to perform a "WebOS doctor" for the Touchpad.

Good luck!
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Did you try doctoring it?
    That actually does sound like a physical hardware fault...

There's virtually nothing you can do to "brick" a touchpad in software, but what you're saying doesn't sound like a software issue.

Try doing a webos doctor and see if that can get things rolling again. Good luck!
    That happened to me I was scarred and frustrated. I desperately tried anything I could think of. Without knowing what I was doing I performed a hard reset and that fixed it.

Just press and hold the home and power buttons at the same time for 15-20 seconds. This is basically like pulling the battery on a phone. After that, it should turn back on via the standard hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Good Luck and God Speed!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice. Tried the hard reset multiple times with no luck. It's been plugged in for a few hours now so it should have enough charge to at least boot up after doing the 15 second Home+Power button trick. Even when it is plugged in, the big round cylinder plug doesn't get warm where it's plugged into the wall (it did before the unit died on it).

I tried webOS Doctor but it can't detect the unit at all. I get to the screen where it asks me to plug in the device and when I do, nothing. The "next" button is still greyed out so I can't continue with WebOS Doctor. Windows doesn't give me any indication that theres a USB device plugged into the computer (tried multiple computers).

I tried using a friend's cable (edit: and wall plug) and plug to see if that was the problem and I also tried using the plug from my Pre.

Nothing has worked. Just a black screen. HP said I would have to ship it in for repairs and it should take about 2 weeks to get one back to you.
    your wall charger may be defective, too.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I remember with my Pre there was a way to force it into usb mode during startup inorder for the doctor to recognize the phone. I think it was holding the volume up button during booting with the usb plugged in. Worth a try. Hopefully someone can correct me if this works or not with the touchpad.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I couldn't get WebOS to detect my Touchpad the other night when I was trying to update to 3.0.2. I found this online and it worked:

power off

Hold Volume Up

Plug into computer usb port.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    your wall charger may be defective, too.
    Oh my god, why didnt I think of that!

Dude, check your charger.

The charger splits into two pieces for some unknown reason, you can twist it then pull it apart. Make sure it is COMPLETELY locked into position, twisted closed. Play with it a little bit and you'll see what I mean. The bottom half can be completely removed by twisting it a quarter turn and pulling. If it's not totally locked into position (closed) the touchpad will not charge.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Tried the volume up trick and nothing happened.

Also tried using 2 completely seperate chargers (cord and plug) and nothing changed. (5 of my coworkers got them today as well so there's lots of extra parts floating around the office)
    I have just received my TouchPad today and it's been on the charger for 2-3 hours now.

At first I had a low battery error when pressing on button. Now, nothing happens when I hold power button. Even for over 30s.

I have searched and searched to find possible issues, such as the charger twist method but it's fine and charging other products.

It's just my new touchpad won't start. It's on the charger, but there is no indication what so ever that anything is actually happening.

Question. Does the warranty still apply on the touchpad or was it a stupid decision to buy a tablet known to be discontinued?
    Full warranty is in effect.

Did you try a hard reset? Press the power button and the home button together for about 15 seconds. If it works, you should see the HP logo come up in the middle of the screen. You can let go at that point.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    dude the same thing just happened to mine and I was able to fix it with the help of HP tech support(second level) of all things.

first: hold down the power button the center button and the volume up button until the device does a hard reset.

then: release and quickly hold just the volume up button and the power button and a giant usb symbol should appear on the screen, now you can connect to the device to doctor it,

just first make sure you have the novacom driver and java loaded on your computer.

I hope this helps
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    oh by quickly I mean you must hit the power and volume up buttons before the triangle appears again, preferably before the hp logo even appears
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Full warranty is in effect.

Did you try a hard reset? Press the power button and the home button together for about 15 seconds. If it works, you should see the HP logo come up in the middle of the screen. You can let go at that point.
    Wow, I think you did it. There's now a permanent battery with a red line across it.

I've been pressing and holding power button, power button volume +, power button volume -, both volume buttons, volume+ power and home button, volume- power and home button.

It didn't occur to me to press just home button with power.

Now fingers crossed it will charge enough to turn on.
    hi there new webOS peeps... Welcome. I've been seeing a lot if these OMG I've bricked it posts lately and just wanted to chime in...

it is very very difficult to actually brick a webOS device, unlike iOS and Android devices. So, please, slow down and follow the instructions carefully. I'm seeing too many people jumping the guns and proclaiming doomsday when either they did not follow the instructions correctly.

I know it's very exciting to play with a new toy and in the excitement not taking the time to read and follow instructions properly. I'm as guilty if it as anyone else. But, it'll save you a lot if time and headache. I've been messing around with webOS ever since it was launched, and everything something went wrong it was because of me...user error and not reading and following instructions.
    Soorma likes this.
    JMTouchpad, make sure your charger head (where the prongs are) is tightly on the charging unit. If its loose it wont be making contact and charging properly.
    Glad to hear you are making progress. Let it charge for a while and you should be ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JMTouchPad View Post
    Wow, I think you did it. There's now a permanent battery with a red line across it.

I've been pressing and holding power button, power button volume +, power button volume -, both volume buttons, volume+ power and home button, volume- power and home button.

It didn't occur to me to press just home button with power.

Now fingers crossed it will charge enough to turn on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast