Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    For those of you who were like me, still wondering about desperately trying to obtain a TouchPad, call your local Aarons's rental store. 6 out of 10 stores in my area had five or more 16GB models in stock, the remaining 4 were extremely delightful while giving me the exact dates in which they were expecting their orders of TouchPads to arrive.

Aaron's is selling the 16GB TouchPad with a HP Folio case for $179.99. If you opt to pay outright for the combo versus leasing them, you receive a 20% discount. That's a great deal without dealing with online or B&M hassles. Good luck!
    BayAreaTreo and Sukiyaki like this.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tip. Seems to vary by store. Called around in Maryland where my mom is and two stores were only selling/leasing as part of a bundle with a laptop. A third would do a solo lease at $8.99, but only a lease.

In Atlanta where I am one store was willing to sell it for the price quoted, $179.99 minus 20%. But no availability until mid-September, interestingly.
  3.    #3  
    Whoa. Aarons offers 12, 24, and 48 month leases. If that's a solo lease for $8.99 at 12 months, that comes out to $107.88. But I'm sure thats too good to be true.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    It's RTO, or Rent to Own. That's 8.99/week. I used to work for a RTO company. It's a rip off. You end up paying 3 or 4 times as much for merchandise.
    Called my local ones. They are bundled with HP laptop lease agreement for $99/month. And they don't sell them separately. But they do have them in stock.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
  6.    #6  
    $8.99 a week? Ouch! I'm glad all of my local stores are willing to sell separately.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Their website says that they'll beat any advertised price or they'll give you $100. You might have just got a $44 TouchPad!

The ones in my area are only doing the laptop bundle.
    Meh, they read an email to me which was from their corporate site which stated they were not to sell tochpads as stand alone items. They are only to be sold, coupled with a new lease agreement on a laptop... The email mentioned using the touchpads to spur new customers since they are the only ones with stock.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    As soon as I read this post, I called the one closest to me. they said they had 5. I drove over there, and at first they said they would only sell it as a bundle with a laptop. I acted a little dissapointed and the guy went and asked another guy in the office and he said they could sell it seperately. So they sold it to me for 155.87 (including Houston sales tax). It is bundled with a leather case, which they claimed was worth $65 by itself.
    So my advice is, call and see if they have any and ask if they will sell it seraptely, and maybe try going to the store and ask in person if they will sell it seperately.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    It's RTO, or Rent to Own. That's 8.99/week. I used to work for a RTO company. It's a rip off. You end up paying 3 or 4 times as much for merchandise.
    Agreed, these places prey on the desperate and poor. They're in the same league as check cashing joints and title loan offices.
    Shifty likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    If you want a better chance of them separating it and selling you the TP, go in on Saturday. Rent-To-Own places like Aarons like to end with good numbers at close of day Saturday. Because Monday morning Regional Managers look at the numbers. And bonus: this is the last weekend of the month, and end of month numbers matter because the store managers bonus is based on it.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I called and they said they would price match the HP price. He says they Aarons has 536 on order.
    I was there in person and the email they read off to me was warning about people trying to talk them in to selling seperately.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyvt View Post
    I called and they said they would price match the HP price. He says they Aarons has 536 on order.
    Called a store or HQ?
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I'm stopping at the one across the street at soon as I leave work, I tempted to run over there before.
    Thank you I will check when out of class!
    I just called and they have plenty, but they're selling them for $180 plus tax. Not sure if that's worth it.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boerner View Post
    I just called and they have plenty, but they're selling them for $180 plus tax. Not sure if that's worth it.
    That's the price they told me at first too (179.99), but you get a 20% discount off of that price if you buy it outright (instead of renting it and paying it off over time). So, the price is 143.99 (plus tax), for the 16GB version, but it comes with a leather case. I don't know the actual value of the leather case., but it seems ok, not worth $43 in my opinion, but whatever. It does work as a stand for the TP if you want to prop it up like a picture frame on a desk.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    They are selling it ONLY with a computer... I'm want a touchpad to not have a computer... these guys are worse than ebay... STAY CLEAR... I WILL NEVER do business with them again.
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by No1up View Post
    They are selling it ONLY with a computer... I'm want a touchpad to not have a computer... these guys are worse than ebay... STAY CLEAR... I WILL NEVER do business with them again.
    It depends on the store. Some store managers will ignore what corporate says and sell the TP alone. Especially if it's a good performing store. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast