Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    So last sunday I underestimated the 'new found' popularity of the latest device housing our favorite OS... and went to BestBuy at about 8:30am, i was just a few people too late to get the reservation slip....

I tried, and tried, all over the place...

But after going to best buy yesturday I was told they would be available this morning, so I waited till Best Buy closed at 9pm and waited there until they passed the reservation slips out in the morning and got one!!! I was in the front of the line ;-) along with a couple friends I persuaded to adopt WebOS.

The moral of the story is, don't give up, put in some footwork, and be ready to wait.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    married, 3 kids, FT job...not even remotely possible
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    I gotta hand it to you; that's dedication. To camp out at a BB since close at 9:00 PM is pretty cool. Now you have practice for Christmas time :-)
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    2 grown kids, no wife, flexible schedule and still don't have the energy to do it. Maybe I can get my 18 year old to do it.
    Bigum1969 likes this.
    and now you're a very very lucky man!!!

sometimes perseveration pays...

congrats!!
    wow. you, sir or madam, deserve a webOS preserverence award for this.
    nyquistjack likes this.
    Camping all night to get it $100 cheaper than currently on the free market? Very dedicated man.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    I woke up sunday morning grabbed my ipad2 which is always on my nightstand when its not with me throughout the day called the bb 800 number, placed my order with my bb credit card. And went back to sleep. Tuesday got email confirmation. Wednesday got ups tracking number and its en route to east coast for next tuesday delivery -- pending of course how the hurricane hits this weekend. Easy-peasy. Its a 32gb but will probably get a 16 when hp starts taking orders again or i find one elsewhere. I will never pay mire than $99.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    15, no credit card, no driver's license, parents can't drive me at 8 in the morning. Not to mention the local best buys never seem to get anymore. I promised my cousin and a friend each a 16 gig. Onsale cancelled my order. They still think they're getting them
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I knew this will happen! Just like any other black friday night deals etc. I don't really like driving over and waiting outside so i tracked slickdeals.net saturday night but to no avail. Woke up 4am sunday morning and put my order on BestBuy online. Got my one 32GB free express shipping. But when i tried to put in my next order, site when out of stock! I guess i got lucky. Ordered Sunday early morning and got my TP32 by Tuesday night!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I have a brother who works at Best Buy. He bought one for himself the day they went on clearance. I was kind of jealous but whatever, I'd never been interested in tablets before. Next day he calls and says thy got some more in. I'd read about some of the fervor these things were generating, so I figure I might as well get one. 15 minutes later I'm the 15th person in line. They have 18 units. So I get one with very little effort or anguish on my part.

This is why everybody needs a close relative working at Best Buy. These type of situations aside, the discounts are very handy.
    nyquistjack likes this.
    Congrats to those who got up and waited and actually got a TP.

Bought my 32gb on 8/5/11 from Office Depot for $427 (tax incl). Went back a few days ago and got my refunded difference ($267). Glad to have gotten one. As a Pre- user, this is nice to see webOS on the bigger screen.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I tried at one of my local best buys this morning, asked an employee walking in, he said he didn't think they had any. A manager came out and confirmed they didn't and he didn't think they were getting any, I left. I think I like the thrill of the hunt more than anything else. When I finally get one if I do, it'll be over and I'll probably be bored with it within a week and it will start to resent my iPad for getting majority of the attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillywillymm View Post
    Bought my 32gb on 8/5/11 from Office Depot for $427 (tax incl). Went back a few days ago and got my refunded difference ($267).
    Hey how did you get them to do that?! They only offered a full refund to me.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    i ordered mine from bestbuy.com 7am sunday morning NY time and it arrived yesterday. My legs are fresh lol
    Someone at SlickDeals.net mentioned that HP SMB is selling them last Saturday morning.. placed an order - They charged full price (Knew that HP will refund) waited for the confirmation and no signs of shipment.

Checked at the BestBuy inventory tracker and called BB (around 25 miles away) Tuesday evening - told me they have 10-15 in stock. Drove down at 80 miles/hour.. they had only 32GB's left. Got one.

The same night got an email from HP SMB with shipment tracker.. So now got two Touchpads. 16GB's and 32GBs. Sweet!!
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    I'll buy the 16GB if you don't want to keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionte View Post
    I think I like the thrill of the hunt more than anything else. When I finally get one if I do, it'll be over and I'll probably be bored with it within a week and it will start to resent my iPad for getting majority of the attention.
    This is more or less the only reason I've hunted for one. I've got a Transformer, and with the keyboard dock it's all the tablet I'll ever need and more, but I'd like to find a TP, play with it for a bit, and then sell it off. The extent of my hunting has been to go to a couple of Best Buys and ask -- camping out overnight for one, especially considering the non-existent future of webOS, is out of the question for me.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Woke up Sunday morning at 10:30'ish (which is late for me) and read on my favorite deals site that HP had dropped the price in the USA to $99 just like they'd done in Canada.

I jump on the motorcycle and ride 10 minutes to Best Buy. They opened at 11:00AM. I arrive at 11:16AM to a parking lot filled with cars.

I walk in and am number ~50 in line (scuttlebutt says that they had at least 65 touchpads).

30 minutes later I am walking out the door with a 16GB Touchpad.

I told coworkers about the sale on Monday after I came in to work, but they have pretty much disappeared from any/all store shelves here in Atlanta.

There are pages and pages of them for sale on the local craigslist. Most people are asking 2x what they paid for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    Hey how did you get them to do that?! They only offered a full refund to me.
    I called the store and asked if they were offering the price difference refund. Told me to bring in my receipt and they would refund back to my credit card. While I was there, I bought Touchstone and case for half price.

I wonder if each store was different since I heard mixed results from others at other stores. This was West Jordan, UT store.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast