Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    when you do a search in the email app, it only searches the subject and sender of the emails. Not the body. This is a big deal for any user, and perhaps more so for anyone that is seriously using this for business or enterprise needs. This really needs to be corrected. If you use a webmail provider for you email, you could always use their webpage for a complete search solution, but that defeats the purpose of having an email app and is far too inconvenient.
    If you go straight to your email's url you can search most email clients like hotmail, google & yahoo. I agree the app should provide this service though.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    If you go straight to your email's url you can search most email clients like hotmail, google & yahoo. I agree the app should provide this service though.
    are you suggesting to go to the email providers' websites? I mentioned in my original post that this defeats the purpose of having a nice email app. And what about users that get their email from their ISP's server or their work's enterprise server? Apparently HP feels these users shouldn't need to search their email.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Which tablet/phone OS has the ability to search message bodies in a standalone IMAP client? Can't do it on my iOS devices...does Android have a standalone IMAP client now?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    giggles likes this.
    I get full body email search in my android 2.3 Gmail client. Works very well, and it's very fast.

I can't see why webOS could not do it too.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NicRacine View Post
    I get full body email search in my android 2.3 Gmail client. Works very well, and it's very fast.

I can't see why webOS could not do it too.
    well obviously android and gmail are both google products, so that's only natural. however, i wonder if submitting an email search query to the gmail server is something anyone can issue. if so, then HP should offer this capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Which tablet/phone OS has the ability to search message bodies in a standalone IMAP client? Can't do it on my iOS devices...does Android have a standalone IMAP client now?
    Sure you can. I do it all the time on my iphone and ipad. Just pull down the list of emails and the search window appears: to, from, subject and all.
    Something that I and the majority of other people could care less about and would never use. I really like the TouchPad's email app along with it's notification system (something that apple is coping in iOS 5 BTW) and synergy.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    when you do a search in the email app, it only searches the subject and sender of the emails. Not the body. This is a big deal for any user, and perhaps more so for anyone that is seriously using this for business or enterprise needs. This really needs to be corrected. If you use a webmail provider for you email, you could always use their webpage for a complete search solution, but that defeats the purpose of having an email app and is far too inconvenient.
    if true, good point. Need to be able to search the body of the email. Palm could quickly add that I'm sure.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Something that I and the majority of other people could care less about and would never use. I really like the TouchPad's email app along with it's notification system (something that apple is coping in iOS 5 BTW) and synergy.
    searching thru emails is something u could care less about? I'd say you're in the minority
    hang on! You can search the entire mail message, just by doing a search in "Just Type". I just did it and it pulled up all my emails that had the search string involved - so yes you can search your entire mailbox - username, subject, body, etc.

If you're already in the mail app, just push the center button or swipe up and the "Just Type" search bar is right there on the top!

You can also search your calendar items this way too.

Good luck!
    I just tested that and it did not seem to search the body of the email.
    Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    Just type only searches the subject line and email address for me, but still good to know.
    There must be a bug as it appears to be intermittent. Sometimes it works and pulls up all the right emails. Other times it does not. I'm wondering if it ignores common keywords in the search. I'll have to test this out more and see.

I was able to successfully search the body and subject the few times it worked. I double and triple checked and it did work. I'm wondering if overclocking will help. If anyone out there has already overclocked to 1.5 or 1.7 please test this and let us know. I'm not quite ready to overclock my TP yet.

The reason why I think it may be overclocking is because I remember version 3.0 (webos) was so slow that the emails and calendar items did not come up with Just Type. Now with v 3.0.2 things are faster and it seems to work. I did, however, do some performance tuning on the Touchpad by following the advice on the sticky thread regarding how to make it faster (sans the uberkernel). Maybe that helped?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Sure you can. I do it all the time on my iphone and ipad. Just pull down the list of emails and the search window appears: to, from, subject and all.
    To, from,and subject is not body. iOS can't do it either.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Something that I and the majority of other people could care less about and would never use.
    Says you! My own random guess is that about 50% of the population would use it.
    I would love conversation view... (sorry to change the subject a little here) and yes searching body of email would be nice as well since I use my TP for personal AND work emails
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I often search the body, but a full-blown search akin to what Thunderbird offers would be even better.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    iOS 4 and lower do NOT do full body search, iOS 5 will do full email body search.

The thing that is really lacking in webOS is search on server. it can only search emails that are on the device
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by peteostro View Post
    iOS 4 and lower do NOT do full body search, iOS 5 will do full email body search.

The thing that is really lacking in webOS is search on server. it can only search emails that are on the device
    Exactly. It would need to support server-side searching which is part of the IMAP4 protocol. I know it's perhaps a moot point now, but Palm/HP had 2+ years to implement this in webOS and failed to. These little things do hurt its viability and it certainly cannot be taken seriously as a business or enterprise platform if it cannot search emails.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast