1.    #1  
    what is preware exactly?

i clicked on a link and it took me to a wiki page and i couldn't download anything?

Is WebOS doc like itunes and preware is like cydia or something?

Is preware on the touchpad itself or on a computer?

and poeple are installing patches left and right....are these official HP patches or third party ones?
    preware is a very usefull application for inxtalling packages on your phone. It has been highly recommended that new users download the Preware Homebrew Documentation from the HP app catalog to get started. Its only 99 cents and that cash goes to support the devs who make webOS great
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbussing View Post
    preware is a very usefull application for inxtalling packages on your phone. It has been highly recommended that new users download the Preware Homebrew Documentation from the HP app catalog to get started. Its only 99 cents and that cash goes to support the devs who make webOS great
    Preware Homebrew Documentation

just search for this on touchpad? is it a .pdf?
    are these packages free or do they cost money?
  4. 27
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnewbie View Post
    what is preware exactly?
    Someone said it's when you get your socks and underwear ready the night before.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnewbie View Post
    what is preware exactly?

i clicked on a link and it took me to a wiki page and i couldn't download anything?

Is WebOS doc like itunes and preware is like cydia or something?

Is preware on the touchpad itself or on a computer?

and poeple are installing patches left and right....are these official HP patches or third party ones?
    Preware

In short Preware is like a second App Catalog where you can find applications and enhancements created by the homebrew community. It's somewhat similar in concept to Cydia.

Preware runs on the webOS device (Pre, Pixi, Veer, TouchPad)

The apps and patches you find in Preware are created by the webOS community and are not endorsed or supported by HP directly. Although it's because HP/Palm created such an open system that allows things like Preware to exist.

If you end up using Preware please donate to webosinternals by buying the Preware Documentation app found in the HP App Catalog and/or by visiting the webos-internals.org website.
    Preware is analogous to cydia... except not so clandestine as the whole jailbreaking scene. It's third party and unsupported by HP, but on a whole the stuff there is usually super stable and it nothing malicious. It's not a hack like apple products, that uses exploits... HP built in the developer mode and ability to run other apps.

Basically it's an extension of developer tools that allow you to side-load (not downloading over the air, but from your computer) applications.

First you have to go in developer mode with the konami code. Open WebOS Quick Install which side-loads preware. You can either then start downloading from preware on the touchpad or on your connected computer install the apps and patches. At first I like the computer because it goes faster.
    Click here webOSnewbie: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The Preware Homebrew documentation can be found in the HP App Catalog on your TouchPad. It costs 99 cents. It is just documentation that installs and appears like any other app, like a book of sorts.

The actually Preware app has be installed separately using your PC.

Preware and the homebrew apps and patches listed in preware are all free.
    Preware will change your life.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    I installed Preware on my HP touchpad my only problem is that alot of apps are for phones. Is there anyway to sort through all the ones just for the touchpad?