Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Hey all - just got a new touchpad - everything is great except the microUSB port on mine is a bit dodgy. It is not perfectly aligned with the casing, so I have to insert the plug at a 45 degree angle in order to get it in. I am worried that long term usage might damage the USB port.

    Any idea what my options are? Will HP fix this for me if I call their tech support line? Is it possible to open up the touchpad and take a look myself? Ive read some articles suggesting that the HP is actually quite easy to open up, and replacing components is similar to a PC.

    I dont think i'll be able to get a replacement from the vendor.. so - any ideas?

    Appreciate any advice - Thanks
  2. #2  
    The microUSB port on my girlfriend's TouchPad exhibits similar behaviour compared to yours, but we haven't had much of an issue connecting and removing the cable once we figured out that it seemed to prefer being inserted on a slight angle.

    You could try contacting HP but they'd probably request that you send it in for repair or replacement, do whatever you feel is best.
    Kyzelios
    webOS software developer
  3.    #3  
    For anyone else with this issue - I have contacted HP support (UK Number 0207 660950) and they confirmed this falls under the warranty. They are sending a DHL courier to collect the touchpad, then will repair it - apparently a 7-10 day turnaround.
  4. HarpingOn's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fickle View Post
    For anyone else with this issue - I have contacted HP support (UK Number 0207 660950) and they confirmed this falls under the warranty. They are sending a DHL courier to collect the touchpad, then will repair it - apparently a 7-10 day turnaround.
    But ... Considering the USB plugs actually fit, is there any problem with leaving it the way it is? Mostly I charge on a Touchstone, I don't feel like sending it off!
  5.    #5  
    It fits, but i have to insert it at an angle. I have to pull it really hard to get the cable off. I have ordered the touchstone dock, but there are always times ill need to use the cable for data transfer.
  6. HarpingOn's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fickle View Post
    It fits, but i have to insert it at an angle. I have to pull it really hard to get the cable off. I have ordered the touchstone dock, but there are always times ill need to use the cable for data transfer.
    Looking at mine again, it's not 45 degrees it goes in at, but it's not straight out either.

    About 10 degrees maybe.

    Is this normal?
  7. Dissizit's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    #7  
    The micro cable that came with my touchpad is quite snug, so I switched up and use the cable from my palm pre charger, it fits in the port a lot better than the new one.
  8. #8  
    Just a note of interest as well, if you look at the bottom of the microUSB connector you'll see two small clips that would appear to lock the cable in place; perhaps this is why it's a bit harder to remove the cable.
    Kyzelios
    webOS software developer
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyzelios View Post
    Just a note of interest as well, if you look at the bottom of the microUSB connector you'll see two small clips that would appear to lock the cable in place; perhaps this is why it's a bit harder to remove the cable.
    I think its definitely a flaw in mine - I have tried another HP touchpad and the way the cable slots in is completely different
  10. #10  
    If you have to insert the plug at an angle, it's DEFINITELY a hardware flaw. There may be a nub on either side of the USB port keeping it in place, and one of them broke off or something. If it's something like that, the problem only stands to get worse.

    You should probably get in touch with HP - wasn't there a frontpage article about HP committing to support and warranty for sold devices? This is a time to make use of that.

Posting Permissions