Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I just got the Touchpad out of the box and I've followed the steps to using the latest WebOS quick install on Windows XP. After installing the novacom drivers and connecting the touchpad in devmode to my PC, I get this message asking me to enter a devmode password. I never entered one though, and I cannot figure out how to get around this. Any help?
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    there is no password. Just proceed without entering one.
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    turn on developer mode ( webos20090606 ) and reset the password.
    Avner.
    @avnerarbel

WritePad HD - http://goo.gl/8RQmn
    Coloring Book HD - http://goo.gl/XgezU
    Animal Baby Piano - http://goo.gl/Y5UXg
    Four in a row - http://goo.gl/tHF63
  4.    #4  
    The password on the tablet doesnt seem to be a problem, I get through fine leaving it blank. But the same doesnt seem to be true for Novacom, when I leave it blank I get a Novacom login failed message.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Your pc is asking for a password for novacom? That's odd, I've never heard of this. Where did you download novacom from?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikea4 View Post
    Your pc is asking for a password for novacom? That's odd, I've never heard of this. Where did you download novacom from?
    I downloaded the WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar file from here in one of the stickies. When I installed it, it downloaded Novacom along with it. It recognizes the device, (it says Device:HP Touchpad), it just gives me this login screen. If I press cancel, the WebOS Quick Install screen pops up with a pop up in front that says "There are no devices currently connected. Please connect a device to continue." I can choose from Ok, cancel, and Reinstall Novacom which doesnt fix the problem.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I never heard of novacom asking for this. If Quick install doesn't noticed a connected device. It normally is and novacom issue or not being in developer mode. Did you try removing novacom completely from your pc, then reinstalling it?
  8.    #8  
    Just tried that, I uninstalled, and even opened up Quick install to make sure it didn't recognize Novacom being on the computer anymore. Luckily...I guess luckily...a message popped up that said "For WebOS Quick Install to run correctly, your computer needs to have the Novacom driver installed. Would you like to install it now?" So I pressed Yes, a pop up appears saying Downloading Novacom drivers...then it changes to Installing driver...then Driver installed successfully. I press Ok and that Novacom Login screen pops up again saying "Please enter your DevMode password: Device HP TouchPad".

Even though I never did set a password when entering DevMode (at the password screen on the tablet, not entering a password still gets me through fine" is there a way to reset it from the device?
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I assume there is, but I don't want to steer you the wrong way and make more problems for you. Never seen this before.

The password option was put on to their devices for companies who wanted to lock their employees from entering dev mode, for security purposes.

I would assume that maybe setting a password on the tp, then when you connect entering it may work. I don't know for sure.I never set a password, nor do I know how/if to remove it afterwards.

you could also restart your pc and see if that does anything!
  10.    #10  
    I went ahead and tried restarting too. And then I just set a password and entered that in, and even that didn't work, it just tells me the password isn't correct. I don't even know any more. I think I'm going to try resetting back to factory settings if I can, and then using another computer.
  11.    #11  
    Well, tried another computer and it works fine with no problems at all. I have no idea what's going on on my other one, but hey, whatever. Thank you for the help Spike, I can deal with this.
    open up command prompt and type this:
    Code:
    novacom -c login -r ""
    And tell me what is outputted.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    When I ran quick install I had the same problem and also the hanging at the splash screen issue. I read on another thread somewhere to open up task manager on your computer and kill the novacom process in the processes tab. After that quick install ran like a champ and all was good in touchpad land. Hope this helps,

Th3h0ff

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    open up command prompt and type this:
    Code:
    novacom -c login -r ""
    And tell me what is outputted.
    I'm going to restart and try that in just a sec
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3H0ff View Post
    When I ran quick install I had the same problem and also the hanging at the splash screen issue. I read on another thread somewhere to open up task manager on your computer and kill the novacom process in the processes tab. After that quick install ran like a champ and all was good in touchpad land. Hope this helps,

Th3h0ff

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Thank you SO MUCH for that, wow. After I was so happy that it was working on the other computer, it just started hanging at the splash screen but that fixed it. I'm going to see what's up with the first computer I tried now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalDream View Post
    I'm going to restart and try that in just a sec
    thank you. once you do that, I'll hopefully be able to prevent the error in a future update

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

17. k1l
    on my linux (ubuntu) machine there was some terminal popping up for my root pw to set the novacon driver. maybe that is kind of the issue? some windows rights problem?
  18.    #18  
    Cool, that would be awesome. Well I tried typing in novacom -c login -r "" and I just got a message that said 'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I tried the same thing using novacomd since that looks like what it's called under Processes in Task Manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalDream View Post
    Cool, that would be awesome. Well I tried typing in novacom -c login -r "" and I just got a message that said 'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I tried the same thing using novacomd since that looks like what it's called under Processes in Task Manager.
    hmm, ya may need to type the whole path of novacom.exe for it to work then. A system search should be able to find it

I'm having the same problem. Upon novacom -c login -r "" the command line (of Windows 7 64 bit) tells me "device doesnt need authentication". Trying the same line again results in "unable to find device" or something. This is similar to what Quick Install does. On the first try it asks for a password, all further attempts result in the "no device found" error directly. The only thing to get to the password prompt again is for me to uninstall the driver from the Windows Software menu (reinstall via Quick Install doesnt do the trick) and install it again by using the Universal Novacom Installer.
    I suppose that the same behavior will happen in the command line. But I'm currently not motivated enough to manually reinstall that driver again
    I'll try a different machine now. (Windows 7 32 bit)

Meanwhile, good look to you all
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast