Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhoff80
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I am booting up a non-demo retail TouchPad unit for the very first time. I am at the screen where it is asking me to either create a new webOS account or enter an existing account?

Is there anyway to bypass this entirely? For reasons I won't go into here, I do NOT want to create any webOS account that is tied to my personal address and/or to my TouchPad. I have no desire to use the webOS specific account feature.

An analogy is not to sign in your iPad to your iTunes account.

Is there anyway to do this?
  2. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    But... but... the SYNERGY!

I have no idea, doubt it.. but stranger things have happened.
    If you don't create an account, I'm pretty sure you can't use the App Catalog at all, even for free apps. Why not just create an account on a throwaway email address, and then disable Backups and use Preware to disable uploading of any logs to HP/Palm? (EOM Disable Overlord I believe it's called).

But if you wanted to update without creating an account, you'd just have to do a webOS doctor every time, which wipes out the device settings. You also wouldn't have access to Backups, and I believe the device would still upload logs to HP.

However, not using an HP account would not affect Synergy at all, you can still create all the accounts for all your other services.

There is a way to bypass it, either by using metaDoctor, or using instructions on the HP/Palm site:

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html
    bevcraw likes this.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I am reading the instruction on HP's site. Are you referring to the section on "Before You Start: To Doctor, or Not to Doctor?"?

Also, the instruction calls for removing the battery? What? You can't do that on the TouchPad.

After that, can I update manually to 3.0.2 WITHOUT having a WebOS account? If so, how?
  5. SR1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If you don't create an account, I'm pretty sure you can't use the App Catalog at all, even for free apps. Why not just create an account on a throwaway email address, and then disable Backups and use Preware to disable uploading of any logs to HP/Palm? (EOM Disable Overlord I believe it's called).

But if you wanted to update without creating an account, you'd just have to do a webOS doctor every time, which wipes out the device settings. You also wouldn't have access to Backups, and I believe the device would still upload logs to HP.

However, not using an HP account would not affect Synergy at all, you can still create all the accounts for all your other services.

There is a way to bypass it, either by using metaDoctor, or using instructions on the HP/Palm site:

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html
    Agreed.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    yes you can update without a webOS account. Your will need to use the doctor to install 3.0.2 and once that is done follow instructions to put prepare on your device and install impostah