1. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Since the filesystem for the USB mass storage part of the TP is formatted as FAT32, the maximum possible file size is just shy of 4GB.

While this is good and fine for most applications, normal blu-ray .mkv files tend to exceed 4GB (5-8GB usually it seems).

Is there any way around this file system limitation? Other than breaking the movie up into parts, or down scaling the movie?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    You should re-encode the file regardless (or just not... obtain... BD rips for TouchPad use). There is no good reason to play a 4GB video file on the touchpad, and I doubt it would run well anyways.

PS3 owners have been dealing with this for years, and the concern is a LOT more relevant on the PS3... it shouldn't really be an issue on the TouchPad.
  3. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    2GB 720x304 XviD's play great so far in KalemSoft.

720p stuff is only slightly bigger than the screen size, so while a re-encode would be helpful, it's an extra step it'd be nice to not have to do.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    You are talking about 4GB+ files. I know 2GB movies run fine. I have, however, run a sample full DB rip video with Kalem, and it was choppy and the sound was all messed up.
    Yeah - I can't see any reason you'd want to put a 4gb video rip on the touchpad. It will not be able to play it at full speed, and also not be able to display it at the quality of the rip due to the touchpad's limited pixels . It's like trying to play a FLAC audio file through a clock radio. There's just no point. Re-encode it at a resolution that fits the touchpad's 1024/768 screen and you won't have the space issue.

If you REALLY have to put a 4gb blue ray rip on your touchpad, split the file in half with any number of different freeware video programs available on the web (google it). 2, 2 gigabyte files, each representing half the movie. Problem solved.

There's no good way to fix this otherwise, it's a basic limitation of the base file system and I don't think anyone's going to be changing -that- anytime soon.
  6. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    The only real reason is easy of use. Being able to drag and drop existing ripped collections without having to make a special rip just for the TP.

Obviously it's not the end of the world, and like you said, frankly DVD rips look fine (though some smallish 1080 stuff looks outstanding).
    Yeah not the best idea to put a full size file on the TP for playback. Would be nice for ease of use though.

For the file size limitation itself I wonder if its possible to hack webOS since its based off the linux kernel so it shows up as a EXT4(think that's the latest) file system. Of course then you would need a computer that supports reading it
  8. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    True, true.

Laziness gets the best of me!