webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Compatible Printers for HP Touchpad???
Compatible Printers for HP Touchpad???
Like Tree4Likes

Old 08/25/2011, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

OK, a lot of talk about printers that dont work with Touchpads. We all can agree that non-HP printers are off the list. But what about HP printers. Is there a list somewhere that lists which printers will work with the touchpad? You would think HP would compile a list of supported printers but I cannot find one. Does anyone know of such a list? There has been a lot of talk that it has to be a newer printer and use PCL5. Or maybe PCL3GUI, or maybe PCL6. But again, nothing solid that I can find. Something official on the HP support sight would be nice but I dont want to have to buy printers and try them out and then find out they dont work with the Touchpad and have to return them.

So, does anyone know of anything official to guide us in finding a printer to use with our Touchpads? I am looking at an HP OFFICEJET 6000 Wireless. Has anyone got that one to work with the Touchpad?
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2011, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Strike that, I am looking at an HP® OfficeJet 4500 Wireless All-in-One Printer. I need the fax capabilities too. Has anyone go this model to work with touchpad printing? Or does someone know of a reputable list of compatible printers?
Old 08/26/2011, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I believe your best bet is to check for the Eprint designation. This is slightly different than what webOS does, but I thought I read somewhere that if it supports Eprint, it should work on the Touchpad.

(And then of course that means that it also would work with the HP Eprint app on Android and iOS as well).
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by 4DegreesLower likes this.
Old 08/26/2011, 05:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dunno what printers are compatible but my older OfficeJet Pro K550 seems to work. Just printed out a test page featuring the Google home page. Gotta love it lol.
crucialcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2011, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

For what it's worth, my HP DeskJet 3050 Wireless works and was very easy to set up with the TP. Also, I don't see any mention of Eprint on the printer box.
carterlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2011, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

ePrint has not been implemented on webOS yet. That said if the HP printer does support ePrint you will be able to print. Any modern networked HP printer should be compatible.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2011, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseph View Post
ePrint has not been implemented on webOS yet. That said if the HP printer does support ePrint you will be able to print.
That's pretty much what I meant by my post, didn't mean to imply that eprint worked on webOS.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Anyone know if the HP 8500A base printer is compatible with Touchpad.. Again, not EPrint but with the direct printing feature from the HP Touchpad.
Old 08/28/2011, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
Anyone know if the HP 8500A base printer is compatible with Touchpad.. Again, not EPrint but with the direct printing feature from the HP Touchpad.
I have the 8500a and ePrint is not an option. I just manually added it and it prints fine though.
BradDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradDM View Post
I have the 8500a and ePrint is not an option. I just manually added it and it prints fine though.
According to HP, your printer should support Eprint.
Check this link: ePrint and Print App supported printers - HP Support Forum
Thanked By: snowwhitie
Old 08/28/2011, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Officejet 6500 worked fine
Office jet 4500 worked fine
Those are the only 2 I have access too, and they work great!.
snowwhitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwhitie View Post
Officejet 6500 worked fine
Office jet 4500 worked fine
Those are the only 2 I have access too, and they work great!.
So, the 4500 works by setting it up in the printer functions on the Touchpad where you can then print DIRECTLY to the printer and not EPRINT or AIRPRINT or any of that crap???? Is that correct?
Old 08/28/2011, 07:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
Strike that, I am looking at an HP® OfficeJet 4500 Wireless All-in-One Printer. I need the fax capabilities too. Has anyone go this model to work with touchpad printing? Or does someone know of a reputable list of compatible printers?
I bought the same printer last week from Walmart. It works great with the Touchpad. Once you set the printer up on your wireless network the Touchpad will find it. There is no need to set up anything on the Touchpad.
k4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

You don't have to do anything. As long as your Printer is setup for Wireless.
there is a Button on the Printer that looks like a Wireless button
Press that and after 30 second, On your touchpad, go to Settings / Print Manager
It should Auto detect it
snowwhitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 07:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
You don't have to do anything. As long as your Printer is setup for Wireless.
that's not the case for my printer. My printer is a HP Photosmart 8050. It's on my network. My HP laptop and my wife's netbook print to it wirelessly no problem. The TP won't locate it because it's not duplex capable.

I think what you need to be looking for are printers that have duplex printing.
11B1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 07:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Duplex printing is not a requirement for printing from a TouchPad to a networked HP Printer.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 08:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
On your touchpad, go to Settings / Print Manager
It should Auto detect it
my touchpad auto detected my wireless HP printer (i forget the model, something like P1102w), but still wouldn't let me print to it.
when i tried it said it was unsupported.
looktall is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: DRS10
Old 08/30/2011, 07:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

I can't connect to an HP 8000DN sadly, it's on my home network but no luck.
Old 08/30/2011, 08:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

My Touchpad auto-detected the HP Officejet J6480 wireless printer that's on my network and prints to it even though it's an older model that does not have e-print.
yuyi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2011, 10:23 AM   #20 (permalink)

Well, I started this thread and finally bought my new printer. I got an HP 8500a base model and it works with the touchpad, and it has eprint and all that other crap. I have to say that I am impressed with the printer. All my life I had been an HP guy for printers but several years ago, I went with Canon. I am sure that Canon has advanced their products just as HP has done but this printer is just about everything a guy could want in a printer and it is so easy to configure and set up.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0