Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbo View Post
    I recently had a chat with an HP rep via chat. I was trying to get my HP OfficeJet Pro L7580 to print from the Touchpad. The printer was visible from the Touchpad, but it said it wasn't supported, so I wanted to find out why or if I could get it to work. So, we went through some initial diagnostic steps, i.e. "Is it turned on? (yes) Is it visible from a printer on the network? (yes) Are you using a VPN to connect? (no) Is there paper and is it loaded? (yes) Do you have the latest firmware? (no, but I flashed it) Then he asked if it was Wi-Fi enabled. (Well, no it isn't) Okay then the Touchpad won't support it.

Done.
    Gotta love Tier 1 Support. I would have thought the first question would've been the last one.

For anyone else looking for some type of list try this - http://support.citrix.com/servlet/Kb...enApp_1053.pdf

Printers must be PCL compatible. WiFi is not necessary.
    I succeeded with my Brother 7400n, but I can't get this to work on another computer that has a USB D4360 printer attached to it.

Can this work with any USB printer?

If so then I guess I set up the IP adress wrong...
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Those looking to print to any printer should check out this thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3155288.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Anyone know of a good, inexpensive HP b/w laser printer with wireless capabilities that would work with the TouchPad. You can get the P1102W for $75 from Staples this week, but, after reading this thread, I'm glad I didn't go out and buy one.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end." -- Unknown
    Anyone know of a good, inexpensive HP b/w laser printer with wireless capabilities that would work with the TouchPad. You can get the P1102W for $75 from Staples this week, but, after reading this thread, I'm glad I didn't go out and buy one.
    :-P

Anyone wants to buy mine in Mexico? ;-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    So far, the HP P3005 Laserjet is not printing. The Touchpad recognizes it, adds it, says it is printing to it, but the printer registers a "Not Enough Memory" error. The really bad news: the Touchpad informs me at the same time that my Toner is low-- it is. Very nice feature if I want to use the Touchpad to monitor my Toner level, only. I'm at Tier 3 or 4 with HP Support. I expect that I will just be escalated up to Tier 867 of Support until 90 days have passed.
    Last edited by LizzieBennet; 10/17/2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Said "ink" when meant Toner; vestigial vocabulary
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieBennet View Post
    So far, the HP P3005 Laserjet is not printing. The Touchpad recognizes it, adds it, says it is printing to it, but the printer registers a "Not Enough Memory" error. The really bad news: the Touchpad informs me at the same time that my ink is low-- it is. Very nice feature if I want to use the Touchpad to monitor my ink level, only. I'm at Tier 3 or 4 with HP Support. I expect that I will just be escalated up to Tier 867 of Support until 90 days have passed.
    LizzieBennet:
    The Ink level notification might be nice if you were using an inkjet printer. My guess is that on your laser jet, it will always read EMPTY.
    Objective: To print from my Touchpad to my old, extremely reliable HP 4100dn printer. Which I have no intention of replacing. It has earned its place in this household.

Current status.

Given the following are needed to make a connection:

1. An HP Printer – Check.
    2. Networked – Check
    3. PLC 6 - Check
    4. SNPM – Huh?

A little URL trip to my printer (and a little research) reveled that my printer (actually the network card, a Jetdirect 615n) has SNPM enabled. So why no connection? It occurred to me it might be a firewall issue; close, but after a little more research I now believe that my router’s software (dd-wrt mini variant) does not support SNPM (the next version up does). Has anyone else encountered this issue? Am I barking up the right tree?

One other interesting occurrence. If I set the printer manually (using the IP address). The printer receives the job but returns a “not enough memory” error.

Anyone have any ideas other than upgrade your router (that one is already on my list of potential solutions)?
    kernowmike likes this.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by makethedonuts View Post
    Objective: To print from my Touchpad to my old, extremely reliable HP 4100dn printer. Which I have no intention of replacing. It has earned its place in this household.

Current status.

Given the following are needed to make a connection:

1. An HP Printer – Check.
    2. Networked – Check
    3. PLC 6 - Check
    4. SNPM – Huh?

A little URL trip to my printer (and a little research) reveled that my printer (actually the network card, a Jetdirect 615n) has SNPM enabled. So why no connection? It occurred to me it might be a firewall issue; close, but after a little more research I now believe that my router’s software (dd-wrt mini variant) does not support SNPM (the next version up does). Has anyone else encountered this issue? Am I barking up the right tree?

One other interesting occurrence. If I set the printer manually (using the IP address). The printer receives the job but returns a “not enough memory” error.

Anyone have any ideas other than upgrade your router (that one is already on my list of potential solutions)?
    I am not sure on this but I dont think the router has anything to do with the process of printing to the HP printer. I believe it is a direct connection from the TP to the printer. The only role the router might play is to assign the printer its IP number.
    I may be incorrect on this but I think that is how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
    LizzieBennet:
    The Ink level notification might be nice if you were using an inkjet printer. My guess is that on your laser jet, it will always read EMPTY.
    Correction: The TONER level is low according to my Touchpad (which it is). The two of them (Touchpad and Printer) are talking up a storm. Unfortunately, they are not producing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
    I am not sure on this but I dont think the router has anything to do with the process of printing to the HP printer. I believe it is a direct connection from the TP to the printer. The only role the router might play is to assign the printer its IP number.
    I may be incorrect on this but I think that is how it works.
    Thanks. But since the HP 4100 is not a wireless device, but rather cabled to the router; the router must pass any SNPM query (received wirelessly via the Touchpad) to the printer's network card. At least that is what I think -- I'm obviously not sure.

I think some routers do this, but some don't. Manual settings (using the IP address) will cause the printer to display "not enough memory" when I send a print job from the Touchpad. So I know that some communication has occurred. Does anyone know if the Touchpad spools the print job? (I think this could explain the out of memory issue -- maybe).
    HP P3005 is now compatible.
    My HP 2600n color laser printer doesn't work. It's networked but not wireless - directly connected to the router. Under 3.0.2 it saw it but says it isn't compatible. Under 3.0.4 it apparently doesn't even see it.

There is no way I am replacing that big, expensive beastie just to print from the TP. I suppose I could do the PC emulation thing, but if I have to have the desktop on already, it is sitting physically next to the printer, so really no reason not to just print from the desktop at that point.
    BTW, my p1102w still doesn't work in 3.0.4

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieBennet View Post
    HP P3005 is now compatible.
    What was the trick that got it working?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwil85 View Post
    a lot of talk about eprint, and other printers that will support printing from the touchpad..

are there any all-in-ones that might support scanning directly to the touchpad??
    I am wondering something along the same lines, my TP had no problems finding and printing to my HP all-in-one, but I can only scan to the PC. The HP software handles the scanning chores on the PC- is there an app or patch that enables scanning to the TP?
    Just bought an HP Photosmart CN245B all in one with ePrint and it was auto-detected and prints perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwhitie View Post
    Officejet 6500 worked fine
    Office jet 4500 worked fine
    Those are the only 2 I have access too, and they work great!.
    How did you get your 6500 to work? I just bought one a 6500a - wireless - Have 2 TP's - my other Computers see it on the network(wireless lap tops) but the TP's dont :< I do not have it plugged into my router - that is a different room-

Any help would be great-
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast