Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by looktall View Post
    my touchpad auto detected my wireless HP printer (i forget the model, something like P1102w), but still wouldn't let me print to it.
    when i tried it said it was unsupported.
    This is because P1102w does not support PCL; it uses the proprietary ZjStream wire stream protocol.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
    Well, I started this thread and finally bought my new printer. I got an HP 8500a base model and it works with the touchpad, and it has eprint and all that other crap. I have to say that I am impressed with the printer. All my life I had been an HP guy for printers but several years ago, I went with Canon. I am sure that Canon has advanced their products just as HP has done but this printer is just about everything a guy could want in a printer and it is so easy to configure and set up.
    Oh, my main point for writing this post was to thank everyone for their input. I got what I wanted and I am happy. If anyone else is looking for a similar printing solution, I would seriously consider the HP Officejet 8500. It is a slick unit, easy to set up (most configuration is done at a computer instead of the printer touchscreen) and it does everything I need it to. That Eprint thing is nice too and it really works.

So thanks to all the posters for helping me make this decision.
    Bruce
    I have this one: HP Deskjet F4580 All-in-One Printer: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

And it works perfectly fine. It's hooked up to a computer downstairs, and it was automatically detected by my TP. Tried typing a document with openoffice and printed it off fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
    Strike that, I am looking at an HP® OfficeJet 4500 Wireless All-in-One Printer. I need the fax capabilities too. Has anyone go this model to work with touchpad printing? Or does someone know of a reputable list of compatible printers?
    The OfficeJet 4500 is automatically detected by the TP. No setup needed. :-)
    Is there any way to get a non-HP printer working? Is PCL the key protocol?
  6.    #26  
    I have done a lot of research on Touchpad compatibility and never once have I read that anyone has gotten a non-HP printer to work with the Touchpad.
    Auto detected and prints to HP CM1312nfi
    I recently had a chat with an HP rep via chat. I was trying to get my HP OfficeJet Pro L7580 to print from the Touchpad. The printer was visible from the Touchpad, but it said it wasn't supported, so I wanted to find out why or if I could get it to work. So, we went through some initial diagnostic steps, i.e. "Is it turned on? (yes) Is it visible from a printer on the network? (yes) Are you using a VPN to connect? (no) Is there paper and is it loaded? (yes) Do you have the latest firmware? (no, but I flashed it) Then he asked if it was Wi-Fi enabled. (Well, no it isn't) Okay then the Touchpad won't support it.

Done.
    My TP automatically found and connected to my really old HP C6180 all-in-one printer. The printer is on its last legs and to ne honest I was leaning towards replacing with a Canon or Epson, but eprint is useful enough that I will end up with another HP (probably one of the 8500 series).
    Quote Originally Posted by hikkymemo View Post
    This is because P1102w does not support PCL; it uses the proprietary ZjStream wire stream protocol.
    Argh, so, I should return the printer? I printed only 4 pages, mostly for setting up, and when I tried to print from the TP, well, not supported.

*sigh*

The problem is that it's the only cheap HP laser printer that I could find in Mexico :S
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    HP PhotoSmart e-all-in-one fax C410a is working like a charm with the TouchPad.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrusuelas View Post
    My TP automatically found and connected to my really old HP C6180 all-in-one printer. The printer is on its last legs and to ne honest I was leaning towards replacing with a Canon or Epson, but eprint is useful enough that I will end up with another HP (probably one of the 8500 series).
    I think you will be really impressed with the 8500. Check out officemax and Staples, they both have it for $179 plus you can get another $50 off if you bring in an old printer to recylce. And it doesn't even have to work. I brought one in that was in three pieces. I have two other Canon printers and while I do like Canon, I am really impressed with this new HP. It has all the bells and whistles and was super easy to set up unlike older HP's that I had. Much of the configuration is done on a networked computer instead of the printer's LCD menu.
    Just curious??

Do we have a slightly definitive answer to what the printer must support to be compatible with the touchpad.. I have a laserjet 1320n great little printer, its part of my network, the touchpad sees it, but that is it. Said the device is not supported

it supports pcl5, pcl6 and postscript drivers....

Any thoughts?
    I don't know if we have a definitive list but it seems like the printer:

1) Must be an HP
    2) Must support PCL
    3) Must be wireless

I'm not sure about #3, though. Does anyone here have an HP printer that works and does not support wireless?
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by carr1205 View Post
    Just curious??

Do we have a slightly definitive answer to what the printer must support to be compatible with the touchpad.. I have a laserjet 1320n great little printer, its part of my network, the touchpad sees it, but that is it. Said the device is not supported

it supports pcl5, pcl6 and postscript drivers....

Any thoughts?
    I was unable to get any definitive answers as to the specs. All I could get was a yes or a no if I provided a model number. The general guidance is an HP printer first off. less than 5 yrs old and wireless. Oh, and yes, must support PCL 5 and I have heard PCL3 also.
    From what I've researched so far, it doesn't have to be a wireless printer, it must support PCL (no idea what version), and it must have SNMP enabled, with the public community set as read only. It uses this to query the printer and discover its characteristics.

Guess you didn't ever imagined the last one, did you??? :-)

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Quote Originally Posted by hikkymemo View Post
    well that sucks.

what sort of network printer doesn't support PCL?
    well that sucks.

Home cheap laser printers like the P1102w :P

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Home cheap laser printers like the P1102w :P
    no kidding.

oh well. it's not such a big deal if i ever need to print anything i can just email it myself and do it from my pc.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    well that sucks.

The lower end HP printers require windows drivers. They lack much of any built in processing. All the work is done by the PC's CPU and driver. IOW's, you can't use a non-windows based program that sends PCL commands directly to such printers. Not sure if the 1102W falls into that catagory but I assume it does. Windows/Linux drivers only!

I found this out because (don't laugh!) my company has numerous old DOS PC's that run product test applications on our assembly line. They print to HP PCL printers and as such the non-intellegent laserjets that require windows drivers cannot accept direct PCL commands sent to them.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast