1.    #1  
    Guys, let me share a story.

I sent out a mass email to my office mates on Saturday right before noon just to share the info about the firesale. I found out this week that one of my co-workers actually scored one 32gb from Best Buy b/c of my email. Today, I was sitting in the office talking to him about it. So here's how it went. He woke up early Sunday to get ready for his morning tennis game and said he ordered one from bestbuy.com at 8am. So I said to him,

"So the only reason why you woke up early on Sun was to play tennis..."
    "Yes"
    "Well you got really lucky. How did you convince your wife to let you get it?"
    "Actually, it was my wife that ordered. I didn't even know what Touchpad was."
    "Oh, really??"
    "Yes. She looked at the picture and said 'Ok, let's get one, it looks like an Ipad.'"

Do-domp-bomp. We both broke out in laughter after he said that. LOL.

Folks, this is how webOS users are born... (and the firesale helps ;-).

I've yet to score one myself
    Last edited by laoh; 08/25/2011 at 10:47 PM.
    Well, if there's one good thing about that kind of situation, it shows that the wife is already clear that this ISN'T an iPad. I think part of the issue is that some people bought the Touchpad thinking it'd just be an slightly different "iPad" and then dislike it when it's actually totally different.

For a similar example, I notice people who lived on Windows as a PC OS all their lives tend to dislike other computer OSes like Linux and OS X. I realized they dislike it not because they actually dislike Linux and OS X but rather they dislike that it isn't Windows; they expect it to be a slightly different "Windows" and then hate it when it's totally different. However, I notice people who realize that these are entirely different experiences and that you need a clear head when trying something new actually tend to like it BECAUSE of the differences as opposed to hating it because of the differences.
    I have to admit, I never even considered a webOS device until the firesale. Now I love it. I actually picked up two, a 16 and a 32. I'm keeping webOS on the 32 and waiting to see if they will port Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich to the TouchPad, and will probably load Android on my 16 if they do. I still really like the Android OS, and you can't beat having an Android tablet and a webOS tablet for $250 total.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penopata View Post
    For a similar example, I notice people who lived on Windows as a PC OS all their lives tend to dislike other computer OSes like Linux and OS X. I realized they dislike it not because they actually dislike Linux and OS X but rather they dislike that it isn't Windows; they expect it to be a slightly different "Windows" and then hate it when it's totally different. However, I notice people who realize that these are entirely different experiences and that you need a clear head when trying something new actually tend to like it BECAUSE of the differences as opposed to hating it because of the differences.
    Exactly.

I've been looking for something completely different from Windows for quite some time. Ubuntu is the closest thing I've found to an OS I can respect and, although I love it, I just can't seem to switch completely over.

I guess that what I want is something completely different up front but that can still run the same programs in back.

....And no, I'm not talking about a Windows facelift...that never seems to work out well....