1.    #1  
    Has anyone run into extremely poor video quality along with FPS during video calls on skype ? I have a webcam on my computer and that looks amazing on the touchpad, but im getting like 1 FPS it seems from the touchpad to the computer... Ive tested with other devices ( my cell phone running andriod with the skype app on WIFI and that looks 100 times better/smoother ) Will Fully updating the Touchpad help with quality issues ?
    Please update your Touchpad to the latest version.

Thank you.
    I had no video quality issues on my TP connected to someone using the iPad.
  4. NSA
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    We had two TP in the same room, same WiFi and it was rather choppy. Could be our Wifi though.
    it's not anyone's wifi. TP to TP video quality using skype is not working properly right now. Hopefully there will be a fix or even an alternative video chat app relatively soon.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Please update your Touchpad to the latest version.

Thank you.

Still didnt address the Frame Rate issue. Any other advice that does not pertain to this post ?...
    Bump-but-not-really-so-semi-bump, it seems like everyone says Skype is good from another device to the TouchPad, and it is although sometimes the video doesn't load and all it shows is a black screen.

On the other hand, the video from outputted from the TouchPad seems very very choppy, slow to exposure and low fps. I don't know if this is hardware related though. you can test this out by Skyping with yourself, with a different Skype account on the computer (I know, this sounds somewhat loserish). I also tested it with my gf and she reported the same results.

Atm it seems as if the output video is just barely passable. Hopefully this is software and not hardware related, because it baffles me how HP would put such a low quality camera in an otherwise nicely specced tablet.

If you download "DigiCamera Still Life" free from the appstore, you can take pictures using the front camera. It seems blurry when moved/low fps/exposure lag. If people could download this app and post how your camera looks, that might help.

So we have:
    Drivers implemented in WebOS could be the fault, and in turn cause Skype and DigiCamera Still Life to show bad quality. Skype output and DigiCamera Still Life's output seem as the same lackluster image.

or

Hardware itself.

Hope there's a fix soon
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    it has to be the skype software itself. Recently acquired Camera for Touchpad app and when taking a picture the preview is smooth and the output picture is sharp. definitely not the wifi connection either, since my laptop webcam is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSA View Post
    We had two TP in the same room, same WiFi and it was rather choppy. Could be our Wifi though.
    same problem
    Quote Originally Posted by bdroc View Post
    it has to be the skype software itself. Recently acquired Camera for Touchpad app and when taking a picture the preview is smooth and the output picture is sharp. definitely not the wifi connection either, since my laptop webcam is fine.
    Exactly the same here.
    Exactly the same here. Just got 2 32gb touchpads and neither can send a decent video signal. Both receive signals from a PC webcam beautifully. Outgoing signal is abysmal.

Does anyone with horrid video have the preware download throttling patch installed? I haven't installed preware (would rather not), so I don't know if that patch would make any diff.

Several others in another forum say they have great video and I don't get why.
    Quote Originally Posted by guavaman View Post
    Exactly the same here. Just got 2 32gb touchpads and neither can send a decent video signal. Both receive signals from a PC webcam beautifully. Outgoing signal is abysmal.

Does anyone with horrid video have the preware download throttling patch installed? I haven't installed preware (would rather not), so I don't know if that patch would make any diff.

Several others in another forum say they have great video and I don't get why.
    I have the unthrottle download patch installed, and Skype'd with my daughter's TouchPad (hers is unpatched, however). Video was choppy. It doesn't make sense, as the webcam is statistically better than the iPad2's and the iPad2 takes some beautiful video with the front-facing cam. I personally think that indicates a software issue, so I'm optimistic it can be improved.

ETA: I have noticed that the video is much better if the TouchPad is held very still - like on the Touchstone. Some variance in experience may be because of differences in the way we're holding/using the TouchPad.
    Last edited by MobileBill23; 09/15/2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Thought of something else...
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    I have the unthrottle download patch installed, and Skype'd with my daughter's TouchPad (hers is unpatched, however). Video was choppy.
    So were you seeing choppy video of your daughter (unpatched). Did you ask her if her end (video of you) was choppy?

Also someone else suggested wireless networking protocol might have an effect. I'm using TKIP+AES. I might try changing that setting.
    Last edited by guavaman; 09/15/2011 at 03:26 PM.
    I too am running into this problem. I have the TP overclocked and all the requisite patches installed, but the video chat is bloody awful. By comparison, my Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1's video is crystal clear and the camera's got the same megapixel count (I believe).

Is there a patch, new drivers, etc for the camera? The TP is going to my father for skyping with his grand daughter.

Thanks
    Mark
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    anyone who had installed 3.04 floating around in the internet, comment about skype video quality changes?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsantora View Post
    I too am running into this problem.
    What router do you have? I haven't had a chance to test anything but my D-Link 655 and one other no-named router. One thing I did notice was if I put the touchpad within 1 foot of the router, suddenly the video became clear. 5 feet away and it was a blocky slideshow.